People don't like recurved blades or what? O.o

Status
Not open for further replies.

crowmagnon

Gold Member
I just had an auction for my custom recurved Tenacious end at $30, the starting amount... It had 18 watchers :O and only 1 bid, right at the very end.
I thought it would be a hit with the Spyderco people, since I have never seen one like it before. It doesn't really bother me that much, since I needed to get rid of it anyways, but it just seems kind of strange to have that much interest and no takers. Here is a pic of the blade:
IMG_0245.jpg

I think that looks nice. I probably like it more than the standard Tenacious, but same as with a car, mods don't necessarily add value, especially when they void warranties.

Shoulda called it the TNP Recurve Tenacious 1 of 1.

its pretty uncommon to see someone modify a knife to have a recurve. plus sharpening them is a pain for everyone who uses a stone and doesn't want to ruin their edges.

It's a $30 knife new

And you got $30 for it used. You should be happy.

Why did you sell it, if you like it so much?

its pretty uncommon to see someone modify a knife to have a recurve. plus sharpening them is a pain for everyone who uses a stone and doesn't want to ruin their edges.

I love recurved blades, but when they come that way from the factory ;)

It's a $30 knife new

And you got $30 for it used. You should be happy.

Why did you sell it, if you like it so much?
^^^What these guys said.

Besides probably voiding the warranty, I'm wondering if the blade was re-ground to accommodate for the recurve? Is the thickness behind the bevel consistent? To be honest I would have expected it to sell for less than what you payed for it.

Thanks for the input, now I know not to waste time and money on another one.

Thanks for the input, now I know not to waste time and money on another one.
Pick up some steel bar stock, and design a fixed blade. You obviously have some interest in the craft aside from just collecting and using. Given some time, I'm sure you could come up with a solid design and put out a good product. ;) don't give up.

Bad news. Most of the people watching were probably laughing at what someone did to a good knife and waiting to see if anyone would buy it. I've never found any advantage to recurves in anything smaller than a machete, but plenty of disadvantages. I know some people like them, but I doubt I'll live long enough to figure out why.

Okay, okay! Apparently I'm retarded. Sorry BladeForums. Also sorry to the poor little Tenacious who was needlessly mutilated.

Okay, okay! Apparently I'm retarded. Sorry BladeForums. Also sorry to the poor little Tenacious who was needlessly mutilated.

Not retarded, you just did not have your hand on the pulse of buyers. Or maybe you just don't have a Youtube review channel like nutnfancy. He could have sold that for a hundred bucks.

I just don't understand the Chinese knife modding thing.

Modding a cheap Chinese knife is like polishing a turd, it's not going to magically become a $500 custom Chinese knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back