1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Perfect Woods Walking Carbine gets even better!

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by Top's Custom Kydex, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Top's Custom Kydex

Top's Custom Kydex KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 21, 2014
    I bought a Marlin 1894 in .357 a couple of years back. Almost immediately I put a Skinner peep sight on it and thought I had the prefect carbine.

The only things I didn't love were the barrel length and the empty dove tail on the barrel from removing the rear sight.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago when I met Kirk, an old school machinist. Kirk showed me a rifle he had worked on and I was blown away by the quality of his work.

I asked him if he could trim the barrel of my stainless .357 and he said he could. I then asked him about filling the dove tail. He said he'd see what he could do.

Tonight he sent me pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG]

I'm blown away. My 1894 with a 16.25" barrel and a filled in dove tail with matching stainless.

I'm away from home but I cannot wait to get home and shot this beautiful carbine.

This and my custom SP101 are a tough pair to beat.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  2. blue109

blue109

Dec 11, 2013
    gorgeous....seriously.

3. Top's Custom Kydex

Top's Custom Kydex KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 21, 2014
    Thanks Brother!

4. shanny19

shanny19

Nov 29, 2003
    Very nice...... In my neck of the woods, you will see Bigfoot well before you find an 1894c for sale new. I have honestly given up.

5. Top's Custom Kydex

Apr 21, 2014
    I read about them on line and the next trip to my local gun store there was a new one on the shelf.

My main reason for buying it was to have an alternative to the AR platform.

Next to the AR this is my favorite carbine. I have a Marlin 39a Mountie and a 30-30 youth model or Spikehorn.

The Spikehorn is set up with a red dot on a scout mount. This is my favorite set up for stalking deer.

The .357 might take this role away from the 30-30. I'm confident in the Hornady Leverevolution Ammo for the 357.

6. Alnamvet68

Alnamvet68

Mar 26, 2013
    That is a beauty. I'd love to shorten my Winchester 94 to 16".:thumbup:

7. bradpierson26

bradpierson26

Aug 7, 2008
    What was the original lenght?
    Did he shorten or modify the mag tube at all?

8. Shotgun

Shotgun

Feb 3, 2006
    Nice looking rifle. Those marlins are nice looking guns.

9. Pfd1980

Pfd1980 Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2014
    Great looking Marlin! Awesome quality workmanship. I grabbed the same one a few years back. Would love to ditch the safety on mine too

10. Alnamvet68

Alnamvet68

Mar 26, 2013
    If memory serves me, the barrel is/was 20", and yes, the mag tube has to be shortened as well.

11. Top's Custom Kydex

Apr 21, 2014
    20" is about right. Kirk shortened the barrel from the muzzle end and the magazine from the receiver end. It'll be this weekend before I can see it. I'll post better pics then as well.

AL, the first rifle that Kirk showed me was a Winchester so I know he can do them. Marlins are a bit easier because they have screwed on front sights where the Winchester has a dovetailed front sight.

12. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    Just out of curiosity, which safeties do the marlins have? I'm assuming a half-cock and lever block, but I've only got experience with Winchester 94s. Which safety did you remove?

13. bradpierson26

bradpierson26

Aug 7, 2008
    I need a mag tube shortened on a Marlin.
    Mind posting up Kirk's contact info?

14. Alnamvet68

Alnamvet68

Mar 26, 2013
    I would PM the OP, or send an email. Don't know if Kirk is a paid forum sponsor.;)

15. Top's Custom Kydex

Apr 21, 2014
    Brad, when I pick up the rifle I'll ask Kirk if he is interested in more work. My email [email protected].

Thanks!

16. bradpierson26

bradpierson26

Aug 7, 2008
    Oh so we can't even discuss a non site sponsor? I was under the impression they can't come on here and pimp themselves...

17. Charlie_K

Charlie_K

Jul 16, 2012
    You make me jealous. I've wanted a Marlin 1894 for years now, but have never been able to find one in .357.

18. Alnamvet68

Alnamvet68

Mar 26, 2013
    You can discuss, I'm sure, so long as no direct and obvious connection is involved...in other words, you can't say Curt from www.curtwalahaldingdong.univ did my shoes if Curt is not a paid sponsor; at least that's the way I understand it.

19. DPris

DPris

Nov 27, 2003
    Remington's started releasing new .357 Marlins.
    Just FYI.
    Denis

20. Gavin S.

Gavin S.

Apr 9, 2009
    That looks awesome. I love my 1895 45-70.

[​IMG]