Please help with 110 Slim S30V

I just bought a Buck 110 Slim with S30V steel. The blade when closed is way off center, the green micarta looks white and dry, and the very awful pins (rivets?) securing the knife together do no justice to a very fine blade.

Therefore, I’d like to know if there is a kit yet to replace the scales and pins. More importantly than replacing the scales, I’d like to replace the cheap looking pins for screws. I’d appreciate a great deal if I can be pointed in the right direction.

By the way, new scales with proper shims at the pivot would help an otherwise rough action.

Thank you.

Lesknife

From SW Kansas prairie lands born in No Mans Land.
Platinum Member
Micarta is dry and pale looking when new unless it is polished. It will naturally darken over time but you can speed that up by using some oil that will cure. I’ve done mine that way and it looks great. As for the rough action it probably has some finishing fines and or metal polish in the pivot area and back spring. A good washing with warm soapy water, dry and oil should fix that. As for the blade centering, if it isn’t rubbing it won’t effect the performance.

Thank you for your responses. Mostly, I’m interested in switching the pins for screws. Does anyone know who’d do that kind of work? Thank you.

Micarta is dry and pale looking when new unless it is polished. It will naturally darken over time but you can speed that up by using some oil that will cure. I’ve done mine that way and it looks great. As for the rough action it probably has some finishing fines and or metal polish in the pivot area and back spring. A good washing with warm soapy water, dry and oil should fix that. As for the blade centering, if it isn’t rubbing it won’t effect the performance.
This is what I did with my Slim Pro but I wasn't clear if this was what the OP was indicating and from his response it seems as though it wasn't. He is really looking to change the pins.

Makael

Loving wife, kids and life.
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'm not aware of a vendor who offers the hardware. Im sure with some homework suitable hardware is available. Just not advertised for the Buck 110 slim/pro.

I would like some specs on the 560 but need to measure and Google parts.

brownshoe

I support this site with my MIND
I’ve sent back knives to Buck and their response has been returning the knife as is and saying it fits their specs. Thank you anyhow.

I’ve sent back knives and had them fixed or replaced; all for free. Once they even gave me a free knife.

tiguy7

Gold Member
image.jpeg image.jpeg First you remove the head of the pivot rivet with a Firex spotting drill (upper right in the photo above the counterbore). After you remove the pivot pin, install a screw set consisting of 2 #2X56TPI screws and an internally threaded 1/8" diameter barrel (middle left in other photo). You may have to trim the barrel and/or the screws to length. When you tighten the screw set, the handle slabs will pinch the pivot bushing. The pivot adjustment is controlled by the thickness of the pivot bushing. Most knife making suppliers handle this stuff. Spotting drill comes from Travers Tool.

Makael

Loving wife, kids and life.
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
From Tiguy7.

Sep 16, 2019#2

tiguy7Gold MemberGold Member
311afe3f-112c-4c8b-85a9-d05f0c699268-jpeg.1197739
9d582250-e06c-4f58-93f2-eb7a51d7c02f-jpeg.1197740
What you need is 4 screw sets. The barrels are 1/8” diameter same as Buck pins. They come in various lengths. They are internally threaded with a #2X56TPI thread. I put red Loctite on the screw on one side to make a T-nut. If you have to cut a barrel to length, put the goo on the cut end (it might be a little chutted).
If you have to cut a screw to length, also put it on the red goo side. The end that’s left will have clean male and female threads. This is the side on which the disassembly occurs. You will need 2 tools (usually #6 TORX bits) to take the knife apart. One tool holds the “T-nut” while the other backs out the screw.
The barrels and screws can be obtained from most cutlery supply outfits

tiguy7

Gold Member
what screw cutter do you use to cut down 2/56 / and 5/40 screws

I have never been accused of being a tinkerer before. In post #9 above, the bolt cutter shown in the 1st. photo is good for larger screws. The screw being cut is a #5X40TPI. In the 2nd. pic, the bolt cutter does 12 sizes from #0X80TPI to #4X40TPI. The screw being cut is a #2X56TPI.