Pm2 or manix 2

Pm2 or manix 2. Idk what one to get

• Pm2

Votes: 35 47.9%
  • Manix 2

Votes: 38 52.1%

• Total voters
Looking to get one of these beauties but can't decide which one. Please tell me which one to get and the reasons to get one over the other

If I could only keep one (a foolish hypothetical given my knife collecting) it would be the Manix. Feels more robust to me, tip isn’t as fine as the PM2, I don’t care that it’s bigger in my pocket, and, for my XL glove sized hands, it might be the most ergonomically perfect knife I own.

PM2 all day.
The Manix tip isn't piercey enough for my uses (yes I had one; S110V . . . traded it).
The ball lock spring is too stiff.
The handle doesn't fit my hand well while one handing the ball lock.
The blade is thicker and wider than I like.

The PM2 has a thinner blade over more of the spine though way back at the pivot it thickens up for strength at the root so that's good.
The blade isn't as wide as the Manix so it has a hope in hell of cutting a curve . . . both are curve cutting challenged compared to a Trappper. I'll take what little I can get.
The lock is MUCH better for me in use and is more fun to use.
As I said I do a fair amount of pierce cuts and she doesn't hesitate !
I like the less grip specific handle / more grip options and can grip along the length of the handle without the pronounced finger groove the Manix sports.
I have a pile of PM2s . . . I could see myself buying another one or two.

Looking to get one of these beauties but can't decide which one. Please tell me which one to get and the reasons to get one over the other

PM2 vs. G10 Manix 2- I like the PM2 for EDC because it is a bit lighter, I like the keener point, and I like the lock better. I like the Manix 2 for weekend work because I think it is a bit tougher. I have the lightweight versions too and I like the lighter weight aspect of it but I prefer G10 and full liners over molded FRCP. (I was carrying my Manix 2 S110V lightweight today.)

Manix. Feels better in my hand than the PM2. Full size Military felt much better in the hand to me than the PM2 as well. YMMV.

Manix 2. Fits my hand better and I prefer the ball lock or back lock over the compression lock. Get both in hand first if possible.

The PM2 is a quick Ferrari of a knife, it's every bit as quick to ready and close as an automatic after awhile. The Manix 2 is definitely beefier, the ball lock works great for two hands - superlatively - but it's an unpleasant one handed experience for me. It feels great in hand, but I like the quickness and keenness of the pm2. I carry the pm2 most of (99%) the time and reach for the Manix when a heavier folder is called for. I've got both in s110v.

I'm usually within range of a fixed blade though. Temper my opinion with that in mind.

Get both?

If I had to choose 1 over the other and both were the same blade/scale material I'd choose the PM2.
IMO it has a better blade profile & thickness.

I chose the PM2 as I prefer the compression lock over the ball lock. Much easier to close one handed. I do like both however, and don't think either is a bad choice.

Between the two... The pm2. The manix is even larger in the pocket then the pm2. I prefer to carry something thinner than the pm2.

Otherwise Pick your preferred edge geometry for what your going to use it for.

Ball lock can be annoying if you get a stiff one but I dislike the compression lock myself. So with all this said... I like the spyderco military more. Or the delica in different steel than the vg10. Or the endura.

For me if I had to decide between the two knives I would heavily consider a couple factors. How often I will likely be pulling the knife in and out of the pocket on any given day and how long would the average cutting task would take. Another relatively insignificant factor would be fun factor or action.

If I knew for instance I would be pulling the knife out many times a day for shorter cutting task I would reach for the pm2 without question. The grind feels more aggressive and It's profile will go in and out of the pocket easier for me. The lock makes it seem better suited for quick jobs and fun opening and closing.

If I knew I would be pulling out the knife for prolonged cutting times the manix is a much more ergonomic and generously pleasant to cut with. The grind is tall and really excels at slicing (like most spydies). The ball lock is on the stiffer side but is also satisfying smooth when opening and closing and particularly robust. It also does not interfere with your thumb placement when cutting like the compression lock can.

Last edited:
I had both. I sold my Manix 2.

For me, the PM2 is better in hand and in the pocket, and the lock is easier to manipulate. The blade also deployed easier for me. I also like the thinner tip, and my PM2 was thinner behind the edge than the Manix 2. I only wish the blade stock was thinner on the PM2.

I have both and like them both. Both can be closed with one hand, but the PM2 will be easier. PM2 tip will be more fragile, but I don't pry or do many stabby things with my folders. I think they will both be pretty much the same in the slicing department. Manix 2 will be a little more ergonomic IMO. It will also be a little more robust in build as well. If I absolutely had to pick between the 2, I guess I would go with the Manix 2 for robust factor.

Pm2 vs g10 manix 2 = pm2 all the way

Now, lightweight manix 2 vs para2 different story entirely.

RmHe44G.jpg

HAD 3 PMs.. I tried.. Did not like them.. Blade to handle ratio is wonky to me.. I have a Manix.. I can open/close with 1 hand all day.. More hand filling too.. My choice is the Manix..:thumbsup: JMO!!
John

Back