1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Polishing inlays?

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Mike Large, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Mike Large

Mike Large Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Anyone have any tips on polishing/cleaning up the polished ti on the wood inlay sebenzas? Tried the green compound on my strop a while back. Came out decent, uneven is all. Been a hard user for a good bit now but would be nice to shine it back up. Thanks

2. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    Good question, not sure how much you can do, as the inlays block acess.

3. Mike Large

Jun 24, 2017
    I know it, I was able to get most of it really good but the spots I couldn't get to made it look even worse. Until someone has a method... hardcore user it is I guess

Lone_Wolfe likes this.
  4. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    A dremel with a small tip and some Flitz maybe ? I don't know what type of polish comes with the dremel package.

5. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    AfricanBlackwoodClassicLg_Returned.jpg

HST likes this.
  6. Mike Large

Jun 24, 2017
    Thin-Slice, 4mer_FMF and HST like this.
  7. Glock Guy

Glock Guy Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 28, 2012
    I do custom work on polymer guns so I am more than handy with a dremel, and have played with a bunch of the attachments for them.

If you have a Dremel, here are the two things you need:

EZ402 - EZ Lock Mandrel

EZ473SA Detail Abrasive Brush

The detail brush is soft and flexible, allowing you to get into even the small spaces in between the inlays. It also gives you a nice, even satin finish if you do your job right!

Run the dremel at the lowest speed (probably no higher than 3), and go in the same direction. I would estimate the entire slab taking about 1-2 minutes. Seriously. It's that quick.

Another alternative for a nice satin finish on a plain Ti handled one, I would recommend using

512E EZ Lock Finishing Abrasive

That will give you that "Scotch-Brite" look that some people like much quicker, and far more evenly then doing it by hand, although the Detail brush will accomplish the exact same thing without as much of that "Polished" look that you get from Scotch-brite.

expidia1, Dr-Mabuse and Mike Large like this.
  8. Mike Large

Jun 24, 2017
    So... tried flitz(3 times over). Didnt even come close to getting the small scratches out but i will say, still a damn fine looking knife 15251569602561571488469.jpg 1525157002478741363615.jpg 152515710638943593772.jpg

expidia1 likes this.
  9. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Looks pretty good, kinda satiny. Works really well with the bocote. Use that sukka with pride. :thumbsup: