Popular Mechanics Nov '19 Knife article

gazz98

Gold Member
It's titled "Knives for surviving a disaster - or just carrying around every day"

Main topic. Two types of knives, EDC=folder and Survival=full tang fixed blade.
The reviewed the pro's and con's of the frame lock, liner lock, lock back, axis, and collar (opinel).

They tested 15 knives and here are the results ...

Popular Mechanics Editors Choice (PMEC) for Best Survival Knife = CRKT Tighe Breaker 5/5 stars :confused: Ahh wut?

PMEC (no category) = Gerber Fastball 5/5

Best Value = Coast F402 fixed blade

Best MT = LM Signal 4/5

Best for everyday survival = BM 365 Outlast 4/5

Other knives they talked about

SOG Pillar fixed blade 4.5/5
Opinel #12 Explore 3.5/5
BM 585 4/5

I emailed PM and asked for the list of the other 7 knives they tested.

FYI, my nephew was raising $ for his baseball team and was selling magazine subscriptions, I had to pick a magazine and the choice wasn't great.

I LOL when I read the Best survival knife. No Mora? My Rat 1/2 in D2 didn't make best value? Part of me wants to write a 6 page letter to the writer of the article.

It's titled "Knives for surviving a disaster - or just carrying around every day"

I LOL when I read the Best survival knife. No Mora? My Rat 1/2 in D2 didn't make best value? Part of me wants to write a 6 page letter to the writer of the article.

Not sure why that article would bother you. Remember their audience... average folks with average interest in a lot of different things. PM has long been known for doing a lot of things pretty good, but nothing really well.

As a tradesman, I quit reading their tool reviews 35 or so years ago. Moderate duty tools that hit a particular price point was all they had. And the most popular brands that were readily available everywhere to the average guy that was working on a budget.

For example, I have no problem spending $250 for a really reliable, bullet proof drill. The last battery powered drill review I saw rated ( NOTE: best of my recollection ) was a Skil brand drill. To me, those don't even qualify as a backup. They are just plastic toys. BUT... the guy that lives across the street bought a Skil 12v drill for something like $70 (he spend the extra money to get the Skil "pro series"!), and he absolutely loves it. I doubt it would last a day on a job site.

One man's ceiling is another man's floor.

Robert

Not sure why that article would bother you. Remember their audience... average folks with average interest in a lot of different things. PM has long been known for doing a lot of things pretty good, but nothing really well.

Robert

Very valid point.

The main point of my post was more just to share the summation of the knife article with knife fans.

I also found some of the choices and rankings ... interesting.

Last edited:
its always going to be a little tough
to come out with articles like this.
especially about the makes and models
which makes the list.
as everyone knows and swears by
the old standards like the moras
and sak, for example.
guess there must be an avenue for
the new or fancier stuff ...
its unfortunate that not everyone
can afford the more expensive
or is willing to spend as such :)
hence the balance reporting
to suit every pocket.

Last edited:
Some odd knife choices in that PM article. Then again PM doesnt cater to the small niche of knife nerds.

i live near fort bragg ,nc . first rule of thumb i dont read mag rags or believe anything on tv. i talk to soldiers at all the military stores , and pawn shops , and gun shops for true opinions .
:DIve served with plenty of soldiers, who used the cheapest knives, they could lay their hands on. They were perfectly happy with them;)
Thats not to say, that there are not quality minded service members out there. Its just that soldiers are not amongst the most affluent of society.

Why not do something similar here and put it to a vote? Maybe make it a multiple poll thread. Something like they do in sports with the teams advancing to the next round. I know there are thousands of knife to choose from but I would think at least a few knowledgeable people could wittlwh it down to maybe a hundred or so then let the voting begin.

I guess you would have to do each category on it own and that could take a long time but in the end it could provide some solid advance for many looking to purchase

Criteria would be simple enough;

1. Anyone who disagrees with Houla is wrong.

2. Any disagreements with 1 is a permaban.

3. See rules 1 & 2.

Simple huh.

No need to thank me.

I think this list is designed to appeal to people who buy knives at physical stores like Cabela's, Bass Pro, Dick's, etc. They pay full retail without knowing.

Of course, I remember when you could only buy at a store or order from a catalog.

Average consumer is one thing, but there are some very obvious choices in knives that the average consumer knows about that did not make that list. Sounds like it was just to be a quick read in the waiting room, not a real attempt to take known knives and test them. At most, people should do a little looking to see what kinds of knives are out there, unfortunately, most people just go to a box store and think that is all there is to choose from. With just a little research, you can find a lot more options online, even the lesser known brands that are decent quality but will not break the bank. Two things come to mind, if it is too good to be true, it usually is; and you are the consumer, you should do a little research before purchasing. You do not need to be an an expert but a little education goes a long way.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
To be fair if all the BF members were locked in a building and were not allowed to leave until they come up with a list of the best knives for EDC and survival I don't think anyone would get out alive.

LOL. They say in economics if you lined up all the economists in the world they would be pointing in different directions!

Same concept, different product.

This is why companies like Gerber send their gear to specific websites and publications houses for review when they launch a new product. They can count on glowing reviews from people who don't know the market very well.

LMAO!!! I had a set of those very plans ordered from this very mag when I was a wee lad.

Never convinced the parents to let me cannibalize the Kirby though.

These days you can make a decent hovercraft in one afternoon using a leaf blower strapped to your back, a sheet of ply and a bunch of tubing and tape.

Back