Post your CS pocket clip upgrades

Cold steel Pocket clip preferences stock or aftermarket?

• Stock

• Aftermarket

• No clip

Results are only viewable after voting.

Edgeoflife

Gold Member
View attachment 1083609 I recieved a code 4 recently w/o the rh pocket clip. I did email cs but im unsure if they are sending a replacement or not and it got me thinking i really dont like the clip anyhow being kinda short and very tight tension so i dont carry my cs folders that much bc of this. While i could fix the tightness easy enough on them i think id like to try an aftermarket clip on my code 4 but havent came across any in my searching. Anyone have any recommendations and if so Post Pics of your aftermarket clipped cs knife! (Heres A few folders in need of upgrades for a visual including one of my code 4s that does have the rh clip).

Last edited:
I guess aftermarket cs clips are not widely available as i suspected...

I emailed them recently also for a pocket clip for my Time lite 4 6" blade. I have no idea if their sending mine either. There's really no way of knowing........that I know of.:D

Unless you need deep carry, you can mod the stock clip if you like to tinker and have some tools, especially a Dremel.
Some of the clips are too stiff such that bending them up isn't a good solution unless you like a clip that doesn't touch the scale. In that case there are a couple of good solutions. One is to make the clip narrower in one spot or throughout which weakens the spring tension. A belt sander or Dremel works best for this.
I used a second technique on a Recon 1 clip. It has a black coating so I didn't want to remove steel from the sides. Instead I used a round carbide bit on my Dremel and cut a groove on the underside. It's invisible and it serves it's purpose in weakening the spring. You could also just cut a groove in the middle at the contact point which reduces the contact area. This works best with rough scales.
A third option would be to drill a hole in the clip. When doing this make sure to go slow and use fluid because if the clip overheats it can work harden and then will need to be heated with a torch to become pliable again.
On a wide clip like with the AD-10 or SR1 you could mill out an internal section.

Last edited:
I really like CS's short, fat, strong, non-deep-carry clips... works great for their huge overbuilt knives (4Max, SR1, AD10) with AIWB carry. One thing I usually do (with most folders) is remove the clip to sand the scale smooth where the clip contacts the scale it so it slides easier onto pants, and without ripping them up with textured scales.

juTIQyhh.jpg

AF
Did drilling that small hole below the 1st screw in the pocket clip of your Code 4 help loosen the clip tension?

Unless you need deep carry, you can mod the stock clip if you like to tinker and have some tools, especially a Dremel.
Some of the clips are too stiff such that bending them up isn't a good solution unless you like a clip that doesn't touch the scale. In that case there are a couple of good solutions. One is to make the clip narrower in one spot or throughout which weakens the spring tension. A belt sander or Dremel works best for this.
I used a second technique on a Recon 1 clip. It has a black coating so I didn't want to remove steel from the sides. Instead I used a round carbide bit on my Dremel and cut a groove on the underside. It's invisible and it serves it's purpose in weakening the spring. You could also just cut a groove in the middle at the contact point which reduces the contact area. This works best with rough scales.
A third option would be to drill a hole in the clip. When doing this make sure to go slow and use fluid because if the clip overheats it can work harden and then will need to be heated with a torch to become pliable again.
On a wide clip like with the AD-10 or SR1 you could mill out an internal section.

What are you some kind of wizard?

Ha! More like a wierdo.

I usually just bend it and lay the clip on without screwing it in to test if it’s flat.

At the same time once I do tighten the screws down all the way sometimes that causes the opposite end of the clip to lift up so it’s not touching the scale.

If that happens I might try to bend slightly again or i just loctite the screws in so they aren’t tight enough to lift the end. I’m not going to be removing the clip any time soon after this.

Still I use purple loctite incase I do need to remove the clip fot some reason.

I said aftermarket but what I mean is I put a clip off a Holdout 1 (the largest one) onto my Holdout 3 (the smallest Holdout).
Verdict : MUCH, MUCH, MUCH BETTER !
Other than that I tend to go with the stock clip and maybe bend it out ever so slightly or take the clip off entirely as I have on both my Ti Lite IVs.

Bottom line is most are ok but the clip on my Holdout 3 was simply too inflexible to use ! A pocket shredder to the power of 10. I modded it by removing a third of the metal by cutting a wide slot down the middle and it still was awful.
The longer / longest clips are just fine.

I did email cs but im unsure if they are sending a replacement or not
They aren't :mad:
and it got me thinking i really dont like the clip anyhow being kinda short and very tight tension so i dont carry my cs folders that much bc of this
Yuuuuup :(

Like I always say : the easiest and fastest way to get the Cold Steel clip that you want is to buy one of their knives with the clip you like, throw the knife away or sell it, and put the clip on the knife you like.
You think I'm kidding.
Well I am but it isn't funny ( or fun ) to get a clip out of Cold Steel.

Last edited:
I emailed them recently also for a pocket clip for my Time lite 4 6" blade. I have no idea if their sending mine either. There's really no way of knowing........that I know of.:D
Oh sure there is :
Call them on the phone.
When the person says "The clip will ship out tomorrow". When you call back four weeks later to check on the progress of the clip and they say "The clip is in the mail".
And you call six weeks in and the person says :We haven't had clips for ever; I don't know when we will have them to ship".
THEN you will "know". ;) :mad:

Oh sure there is :
Call them on the phone.
When the person says "The clip will ship out tomorrow". When you call back four weeks later to check on the progress of the clip and they say "The clip is in the mail".
And you call six weeks in and the person says :We haven't had clips for ever; I don't know when we will have them to ship".
THEN you will "know". ;) :mad:

Good good lol. What a customer service model.o_O:rolleyes::oops:. oh well guess my ti lite will be clipless

Back