Pounds Hollow / Rim Rock Run ( Photo Heavy )

The Warrior

๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ณโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ธโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฆโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ณโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ชโ€Œ ๐Ÿ‡ปโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฐโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ณโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฌโ€Œ
Wife and I went camping/hiking this weekend. These are photos from the Pounds Hollow Recreation Area, and the Rim Rock Trail. We stayed overnight at the Pine Ridge Campgrounds, which is in the Pounds Hollow Park. We also went to the Garden of the Gods, but I'll make a separate thread for it when I get a chance. Southern Illinois, in the Shawnee National Forest is a beautiful area, and I recommend it to anyone looking for some outstanding scenery. We had a blast this weekend.

Got there pretty close to sunset. Was hoping to get there earlier, but couldn't quite make it:

1.png

Had to lighten this photo a bit, as the sun was going down quickly, but just wanted to show the colors still around:

2.png

Had to set up our camp at night, and finally got a nice fire going:

3.png

BK9 hanging out:

4.png

Woke up to about a 37ยฐ temperature. Sun up was beautiful:

5.png

Casa de Dubz:

6.png

In the tall pines, hence Pine Ridge Campgrounds:

7.png

Went for a stroll, to take a few morning photos:

8.png

9.png

10.png

Some morning java for the wife:

11.png

BK9:

12.png

Went to the Pounds Hollow Recreation area, which also has a trail for Rim Rock. Pine Ride Campground is in the Pounds Hollow, and Rim Rock is right next door:

13.png

14.png

15.png

Pounds Hollow Lake:

16.png

17.png

Hit the trail, from the lake, to Rim Rock:

18.png

19.png

20.png

21.png

22.png

23.png

Overhang:

24.png

25.png

Bigger than you think, I could stand up in it:

26.png

27.png

28.png

29.png

30.png

31.png

32.png

33.png

34.png

35.png

36.png

37.png

38.png

39.png

40.png

Continued....

Last edited:
41.png

42.png

43.png

44.png

45.png

46.png

47.png

48.png

49.png

50.png

51.png

Passage through the Rim Rock:

52.png

Looking up:

53.png

Looks small, but you can walk right through it:

54.png

55.png

56.png

57.png

Looking down the steps:

58.png

59.png

Fat man's misery. No, my fat ass didn't dare attempt it, but this kid did: That's his dad's hand reaching down to pull him out:

60.png

Another view:

61.png

Random shots:

62.png

63.png

64.png

65.png

66.png

67.png

68.png

69.png

Last edited:
Damn Dubz, again?! I think the only way you'll top this is by attending the spring gathering and taking pix. Good work as always.

Damn Dubz, again?! I think the only way you'll top this is by attending the spring gathering and taking pix. Good work as always.
Yep. This is our time of year to do things. I can't handle the heat too much. Wait til you see the Garden of the Gods photos. That place is freakin' stunning, I kid you not. Tourist heavy, but nice.

Those are some amazing pictures Dubz, you have mad skillz :D Did you get much of a chance to use your knives while out there?

Thanks guys, appreciated.

Those are some amazing pictures Dubz, you have mad skillz :D Did you get much of a chance to use your knives while out there?

Thanks. Unfortunately, no I didn't. We got there late, and had hot dogs over the fire. In the morning, we had hot dogs over the fire. Hiked Pounds Hollow, drove to Garden of the Gods, just 9 miles away, stayed there for a spell, then went to Burden Falls, then drove all the way to Rend Lake to camp the night. We got there late, set up camp, went into town, and got, yep, hot dogs since it was late, haha. Got up and had bacon and hash browns, took down camp, and headed home. Did a lot in a short amount of time.

Awesome man, glad you guys got down there to check it out! Looks just like I remember it! I look forward to the garden of the gods pics, that place is a true beauty that even the best of pictures don't do justice.

Awesome pics! I live over by Ferne Clyffe state park so I am pretty familiar with Shawnee but I have never heard of this place. I do know this much, the Shawnee is beautiful this fall! Thanks for posting.

I had no idea about that place. It looks amazing! My mother-in-law lives a little north of there, so we'll have to venture down that way on one of our trips. Thanks for sharing the pics, man!

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

Awesome man, glad you guys got down there to check it out! Looks just like I remember it! I look forward to the garden of the gods pics, that place is a true beauty that even the best of pictures don't do justice.
Thanks for telling me about it. I was trying to remember who it was that mentioned it, now I know. Yes, you're right, photos could never do that place justice.

I had no idea about that place. It looks amazing! My mother-in-law lives a little north of there, so we'll have to venture down that way on one of our trips. Thanks for sharing the pics, man!

I didn't either, until init2live told me about it. It's an awesome place, plus, Garden of the Gods is only 9 miles away.

Awesome photos bro, that a beautiful area with some nice terrain and beautiful colors!

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Try to post the Garden of the Gods photos later. Man o man, what a place that was.

Warrior,

Awesome pics! I lived in Harrisburg for two years, and now I live in Carbondale so I'm in your neck of the woods. I'm a big mountain biker and I ride the Shawnee all the time. Holler if you are ever looking for some less touristy trails, there are hundreds of miles of them and most of them are rarely touched, mostly just by horse riders and mtb bikers.

Thanks guys, appreciated.
Warrior,

Awesome pics! I lived in Harrisburg for two years, and now I live in Carbondale so I'm in your neck of the woods. I'm a big mountain biker and I ride the Shawnee all the time. Holler if you are ever looking for some less touristy trails, there are hundreds of miles of them and most of them are rarely touched, mostly just by horse riders and mtb bikers.
I actually live near Springfield, we just did a mini vaca in the area. Looking forward to going back for more exploring. My son used to live in Benton.

Back