1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Practical hospital stay knife/tool

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by DocT, May 28, 2019.

1. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    i just had a stay in the hospital that happened unexpectedly. Normall, I’d have been carrying a Spyderco of some sort at that time of day. Instead, I had a Victorinox Pioneer X. This knife/tool just keeps winning me over. I used the blade to stir my tea, the scissors to open a package, and the awl to pick out a stuck pill from my bottle.

An Alox Cadet X would have been nice, too..hint, hint, Victorinox.

2. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    You are lucky it didn’t get stolen by a light-fingered orderly.

jmh33 likes this.
  3. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    I take it, that your hospital stay experience appears to have been far from uneventful :)
    All thanks to the true life saver... the indispensable multitool!
    The amount of fidgeting it offers
    to the bored and worried mind is
    the only free therapy in a hospital :)
    It goes without saying that
    your ecperience is now a textbook case
    on why a multitool ought to be the second most important thing for a knifenut to have besides medical insurance...

DocT, Yo Mama and The Zieg like this.
  4. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    SAKs just keep on producing. You'll get won over eventually on the SAK and leave the other knife home most of the time. That is pretty much where I'm at. I would have saved a lot of money if I had migrated to this point 20 years ago. Been just as happy too. But I have enjoyed buying, using, and enjoying many knives in the last 20 yeas.

My impression is that SAKs aren't high on the "to steal list" in the US unless it's a kid. Outside the US (especially 3rd world countries).... it will get stolen if left in a motel room or unattended for a period of time.

cwsmith17, jmh33 and DocT like this.
  5. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    Well, I kept in my pocket the whole time. I wore my own clothing. Otherwise, they have a safe in the room.

You really can’t beat a SAK for practicality and usefulness. There are myriads of uses for the tools.

6. GronK

GronK Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2001
    My last hospital visit was to an emergency room. There was a metal detector and guard at the door! They wouldn't let me in with my little GEC 55 so I stepped outside and stashed it in a rain drain. Fortunately it was still there and it hadn't rained two days later.

User27, Dallas T and jux t like this.
  7. Jocephus1

Jocephus1

May 30, 2007
    most hospitals have a zero tolerance policy regarding any bladed item. Most larger hospitals have a policy posted online with what is allowed/not allowed. Of course, if you live in a rural area (like me) its never an issue at my small local hospital since most of the time its farmers and ranchers coming in the door.

That being said, if legal, the SAK is a winner every time. 1) its not intimidating. 2) the tools/uses for it 3) its cheap if you get a security guard that decides to "confiscate".

cwsmith17 likes this.
  8. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Last time I went to an emergency room they had a big poster up front saying to effect no weapons but illustrated with a pistol (kinda redundant being in Canada) and a big fixed blade.

Fortunately since my knives aren't weapons I wasn't hassled.

9. Alsharif

Alsharif Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2018
    The poster is so criminals know not to bring their weapons in with them. Very effective method.

10. Dfunk1210

Dfunk1210

Apr 7, 2015
    Yup, like everyone else has said, hospitals and medical buildings around here all have that sign saying no knives, guns, and weapons.

11. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    I have carried a SAK more than a couple times inside a hospital in my area. I don't consider it a weapon. So, unless there are metal detectors, I carry the knife regardless of any signs. Those signs are an invitation to the criminal element or those would be criminals. FedEx has a sign in their window about firearms.... if I have a firearm on me, it goes inside for the few minutes it takes to drop off a package.

JC972 likes this.
  12. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    I remember some forum member going into the hospital with his pocket knife and they called a psychologist to speak to him.

CanadaKnifeGuy, metaxasm and DocJD like this.
  13. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    That might be an interesting chat. :D

mdrgn79 likes this.
  14. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Especially after you tell the shrink you've got several dozen ( or hundreds ) more at home ! :p

Then , break down completely and sobbingly beg for help ! :rolleyes:

15. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    It was sub optimal 3V wasn't it.

16. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    His "BM" was way tooo soft ! :eek:

17. Shotgun

Shotgun Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2006
    I’ve never had any issue carrying a gun or a knife into a hospital and I practically grew up in them. Where do you guys live? I’m talking major hospitals in downtown Portland here.

18. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    I don't really consider a psychologist a "shrink" unless they have their PhD. I would probably find out they have thousands of rounds of ammo stashed at their house. I have had procedures done three times in the last two years and each time I had a knife in my pocket not counting all the damn xrays they took before and after those three procedures which are generally a 30-45 minute visit each. They called it surgery; I call it a procedure.

They do have problems from time to time in hospitals.... unbalanced people or criminals.

DocJD likes this.
  19. Rival1314

Rival1314 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 17, 2012
    I spend 14 days in the hospital earlier this year....when I went in I had a G&G Hawk Orbit in my pocket and a Leatherman Style CS on my Keychain. Once I was admitted I sent the Hawk home with the wife and kept the Leatherman in my room....very handy. like the OP I used it for opening, trimming, and any other little task that came up. was really all I needed, though I could see a SAK being very useful too:)

cwsmith17 likes this.
  20. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Can charge lots more for "surgery" than a "procedure " ! ;)