1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prices of Cold Steel HXP knives over time?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by 19-3ben, Aug 12, 2018.

1. 19-3ben

19-3ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Like all things that are discontinued, prices do funny stuff.

What do we think will happen to the prices of XHP folders from Cold Steel, on the secondary market, between now and the next year or two?

Are they at their peak because of the frenzy to get some XHP before it's all gone? Has that frenzy already come and gone? Will value increase in another year when the flippers are starting to release them back onto the secondary market?

Yes, I realize the market is unpredictable. That's why this is nothing more than educated guessing.
    Full disclosure- I do have an XHP from CS that I might decide to resell, so there is an interest beyond purely academic. I am not a flipper, nor did I buy the knife for that purpose, but I'd like to see if I can finally break even on a re-sell!:oops:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  2. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Platinum Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Doubt there will be any frenzy. S35 is a great steel and 90% or so(?) of CS buyers wont know the difference. I prefer XHP and have 3 of their knives with the steel. I would not pay a premium for a pre-owned XHP vs a new S35 though. The difference is too negligible.

Somi likes this.
  3. 19-3ben

Jul 27, 2015
    Nor would I. That said if there's one thing we can predict about the collector's market, its that it will be unpredictable! The word "Discontinued" can do funny things to people.

ScooterG likes this.
  4. ScooterG

Mar 15, 2016
    Maybe yes, maybe no. My gut says no on the CS knives.

Discontinued:
    E315E5F0-7600-4120-902F-5F7D2F4C3733.jpeg
    017AC81C-5F9D-4037-BB40-E6856FF46D69.jpeg

Durham68 likes this.
  5. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    I would not pay extra and nor should anyone else for an xhp cold steel. And i like xhp.

6. Tommy-Chi

Tommy-Chi

May 25, 2017
    CTS-XHP may hold an edge 20% longer (according to cut tests that nobody agrees on) than S35VN. But S35VN may not chip as fast. Each has their own special attributes.

I bought 4 CTS-XHP knives after I heard they were discontinued and I may buy more, but I do not plan on hoarding them and paying over list. I do suggest people buy Cold Steel knives in XHP but it's just one man's opinion.

I'm looking for knives in Rex 121, M390/20CV/204P, Maxamet, M4, ZDP189, S90V and to a lesser extant CTS-XHP, 3V, D2(Dozier). There may be a few more steels but I try to buy for my own needs. I do not baton my knives, nor use them to open boxes, I use them for self defense.

7. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Logically , if that matters , I don't see the change in just the steel type being very significant in this case . But never can tell . San Mai demand went crazy for awhile there and I didn't completely understand that either . Of course , San Mai is shiny ! o_O

8. 19-3ben

Jul 27, 2015
    No argument there.

OK sounds good. Considering that my own interest, to which I admitted, is basically whether my used knife would have about $10 more value than if the steel weren't DCed, I'm not exactly heartbroken either way. It's just a matter of gauging value, and it sounds like there's no premium, so if it does hit the exchange, I'll price accordingly. Thank you guys.

I guess that leaves me with one more question. The market is totally freaking bizarre. It seems like every time a knife is available everyone goes "Meh" but as soon as you can't get it anymore, people sometimes go nuts. Then, sometimes people just plain don't care. Is there a pattern you notice that predicts which way that pendulum will swing?

9. ScooterG

Mar 15, 2016
    Chaos Theory is predicatibly unpredictable.

10. 19-3ben

Jul 27, 2015
    ... Says the guy who's avatar is one of the most entertaining but unpredictably bizarre characters in recent film history.
    :p

ScooterG likes this.
  11. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    CTS-XHP is great steel IMHO; I have an American Lawman and a Recon I in that steel. CPM S110V seems very similar, tho' maybe a bit more of a challenge to hone. In real life tho', the difference is probably negligible. CPM S35Vn, another fine-grained steel with superb edge holding, is easier to sharpen and would perform as well for 99.9% of knife users (the remaining 0.1% would be us knife nerds:rolleyes:).

12. jbmonkey

jbmonkey with special platinum powers Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    they made a whole lot of them........ so likely no in the short term.........as many years go by in the long term......maybe?

jux t likes this.
  13. ScooterG

Mar 15, 2016
    I’ve come to the right place then.

ArchVV and 19-3ben like this.
  14. 19-3ben

Jul 27, 2015
    Very well played.

ScooterG likes this.
  15. 19-3ben

Jul 27, 2015
    My understanding is that S110v would have better edge holding, but XHP would be tougher and less prone to chipping.

I’ve never used XHP (the one I have is still unused) but do have an S110v Manix, and can confirm it’s a bear to sharpen, holds an edge forever, and does chip if you’re not careful with it.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  16. jbmonkey

jbmonkey with special platinum powers Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    xhp right? y'all keep typing hxp?

17. 19-3ben

Jul 27, 2015
    I mixed up my alphabet soup!

Thanks for the catch. I fixed it.

jbmonkey likes this.
  18. eugenechia1989

eugenechia1989

May 15, 2017
    Well, looks like I'm never going to get rid of my CTS-XHP Code 4, the fact that it's not made in that steel anymore is bound to make the existing ones more valuable to their owners. I doubt brand-new, unsold ones will go up in prices. CPM S35VN seems to be a much more popular steel. If anything, sellers with brand-new, unsold CTS-XHP Cold Steels are going to discount them to get them out of the way faster so they can re-stock on new CPM S35VN ones.

19. jux t

jux t

Jan 10, 2018
    It doesn't matter the stats vs another steel, sometimes a particular run will carry more value. The Carbon V knives hold value and have increased in price after being discontinued. If there's a perceived difference and people are interested in having that special heat treated steel, it may well increase in value. I say this as a person who buys and sells cold steel knives as a past time.

DocJD likes this.
  20. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    Southard on the bottom. Domino and Dice above it?
    Whats your opinion on the Domino?