The Puukko

I am curious to know how the real puukko aficionados (I'm NOT one) think about the newer ones made by non-Scandinavian makers, like my jelio (Bulgarian) shown in post #176. Please comment on both materials and construction methods.
I will put myself in the middle range of "afficionado" status. I own a few Finnish puukot and have spent a fair amount of time and effort learning the makers and designs over the years and getting acquainted with the Finnish language. There are many more folks here who know more than I do, though, and I hope they chime in.

I do not know about Jelio's work, but they appear to be good knives. I have a Malanika puukko (the imprint by knifemaker Danijel Haramina in Slovenia) that is a good example of the puukko tradition. What I look for in a puukko is whether the knife adheres to the aesthetic and practicality of the traditional designs. The stick, or hidden, tang blades are present in both makers but are secure enough for even light batonning should the need arise. The grinds are generally "Scandi" with micro bevels. The steels used are durable but easy to sharpen. The sheaths are readily identifiable as generally Scandinavian in style (leather with back seams and belt danglers). The handles seem usually to be of some hard and stablilized wood with good bolsters (though mine is an example of the maaseppänpuukko -- village blacksmith-made knife, often without bolsters . . . by the way, this classification may be dubious and only a colloquial one) and fine fit and finish.

I1wEVBA.jpg

The fact that these knives are coming from the other side of the European continent should not be a deterrent if you want a good working knife in the puukko tradition that also looks very nice. That they are made by people who may not speak Finnish does not bother me. They do honor to the tradition. And where they may deviate from older, 18h and 19h century traditions is still in keeping with what is going on in current Finnish knifemaking circles, too.

Zieg

Last edited:
Puukko by Todor Hristov in Elmax and Birch Bark a wonderfully handy multi-purpose blade
xOPywC6.jpg
Carrying these blades on a regular basis really made me realize how much they can do and how well the designs have evolved to take care of daily tasks. What can one NOT do with a traditional puukko? OK, ignore that question, MacGuyvers of the forum! ;)

What does the sheath look like?

Zieg

Very well said The Zieg The Zieg - Excellent summary. "The fact that these knives are coming from the other side of the European continent should not be a deterrent if you want a good working knife in the puukko tradition that also looks very nice. That they are made by people who may not speak Finnish does not bother me. They do honor to the tradition. And where they may deviate from older, 18h and 19h century traditions is still in keeping with what is going on in current Finnish knifemaking circles, too. " :thumbsup:

Thanks. Ray

This Bulgarian made Puukko appears to me to be made in the traditional style and really is a do it all blade design. Thank you RayseM for pointing me toward Todor Hristov for a most satisfying transaction.
Carrying these blades on a regular basis really made me realize how much they can do and how well the designs have evolved to take care of daily tasks. What can one NOT do with a traditional puukko? OK, ignore that question, MacGuyvers of the forum! ;)

What does the sheath look like?

Zieg
It came with a handmade traditional style sheath with dangler that has an absolutely perfect fit. Surprisingly comfortable in use, moving freely according to my position and circumstance, it goes virtually unnoticed even when worn all day long.
AJ8pHzy.jpg

forgive the previously posted pics, one day I'll have to update them

Member makers here from outside Finland make some great puukot.
AWyv2Vh.png

t9UzBSn.png

Trying to ID an obscure puukko, I could make out a first name "Alb" and "Rovaniemi," a small city in northern Finland. The bevel said "Suomi [Finland] 1943."

https://bladeforums.com/threads/puukko-1943-rovaniemi.1512157/#post-17369088

I received this message from Pekka Tuominen through the good offices of John Larsen. "He said the last name is "Vitikka" an old family name from Rovaniemi, first name Alb....Just like here in the USA lots of knife makers come and go, and that is the same in Finland, and records of who made knives are pretty scarce in some instances."

Kauhava had many puukko makers at one time. That a regional style might be reflected in the work of several makers seems likely.

The Zieg The Zieg - I keep coming back to look at this one. I typically prefer the birch bark handled versions and though there are some with fancier wood and details, this one is compelling with its - meant to work - elegant simplicity. Carbon blade?

I love it!

View attachment 1277424

Ray
Yes, carbon steel blade and stabilized locust grip. It's a working knife for sure. I love the birch bark grips the best, too.

Zieg

A Arathol - how do the 2 bottom ones feel in hand? They are lookers but they appear to be real hand fattys. :( I especially like the Poropuukko Leuku though I don't think I would find it usable for the short/fat handle. Just an illusion?

A Arathol - how do the 2 bottom ones feel in hand? They are lookers but they appear to be real hand fattys. :( I especially like the Poropuukko Leuku though I don't think I would find it usable for the short/fat handle. Just an illusion?
The Vaarinpuuko isn't all that big and is quite useable. The Leuku is big, about 11 1/2" overall, the handle is about 4 1/2" of that. I guess the handle will depend on your hand size and what you are using it for. The shape of that grip is geared somewhat for use with heavy mittens or gloves. Its not at all uncomfortable if you are using the knife for what its designed for - chopping stuff like small branches, bones etc or when used like you would a small axe. There are other handle types depending on the maker also, some being more round with a swell at the end. The one in the picture is made by Reindeer Knives (Poropuukko), Martiini makes a decent Leuku with a round grip, as does Jarvenpaa.

Back