Puukko Pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by t.sous11, Dec 3, 2011.

1. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    I will put myself in the middle range of "afficionado" status. I own a few Finnish puukot and have spent a fair amount of time and effort learning the makers and designs over the years and getting acquainted with the Finnish language. There are many more folks here who know more than I do, though, and I hope they chime in.

I do not know about Jelio's work, but they appear to be good knives. I have a Malanika puukko (the imprint by knifemaker Danijel Haramina in Slovenia) that is a good example of the puukko tradition. What I look for in a puukko is whether the knife adheres to the aesthetic and practicality of the traditional designs. The stick, or hidden, tang blades are present in both makers but are secure enough for even light batonning should the need arise. The grinds are generally "Scandi" with micro bevels. The steels used are durable but easy to sharpen. The sheaths are readily identifiable as generally Scandinavian in style (leather with back seams and belt danglers). The handles seem usually to be of some hard and stablilized wood with good bolsters (though mine is an example of the maaseppänpuukko -- village blacksmith-made knife, often without bolsters . . . by the way, this classification may be dubious and only a colloquial one) and fine fit and finish.

[​IMG]

The fact that these knives are coming from the other side of the European continent should not be a deterrent if you want a good working knife in the puukko tradition that also looks very nice. That they are made by people who may not speak Finnish does not bother me. They do honor to the tradition. And where they may deviate from older, 18h and 19h century traditions is still in keeping with what is going on in current Finnish knifemaking circles, too.

Zieg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  2. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Puukko by Todor Hristov in Elmax and Birch Bark a wonderfully handy multi-purpose blade
    [​IMG]

3. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    Carrying these blades on a regular basis really made me realize how much they can do and how well the designs have evolved to take care of daily tasks. What can one NOT do with a traditional puukko? OK, ignore that question, MacGuyvers of the forum! ;)

What does the sheath look like?

Zieg

redsparrow, mitch4ging and 353 like this.
  4. Chui

Chui Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2012
    .......bought this blade a few years ago - still not got around to putting a handle on (Joonas Kallioniemi)

[​IMG]

The ones I've seen others do are stunners...

Kallioniemi puuko.jpg

5. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Very well said @The Zieg - Excellent summary. "The fact that these knives are coming from the other side of the European continent should not be a deterrent if you want a good working knife in the puukko tradition that also looks very nice. That they are made by people who may not speak Finnish does not bother me. They do honor to the tradition. And where they may deviate from older, 18h and 19h century traditions is still in keeping with what is going on in current Finnish knifemaking circles, too. " :thumbsup:

Thanks. Ray

6. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    This Bulgarian made Puukko appears to me to be made in the traditional style and really is a do it all blade design. Thank you RayseM for pointing me toward Todor Hristov for a most satisfying transaction.
    It came with a handmade traditional style sheath with dangler that has an absolutely perfect fit. Surprisingly comfortable in use, moving freely according to my position and circumstance, it goes virtually unnoticed even when worn all day long.
    [​IMG]
    forgive the previously posted pics, one day I'll have to update them

7. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    Member makers here from outside Finland make some great puukot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Trying to ID an obscure puukko, I could make out a first name "Alb" and "Rovaniemi," a small city in northern Finland. The bevel said "Suomi [Finland] 1943."

https://bladeforums.com/threads/puukko-1943-rovaniemi.1512157/#post-17369088

I received this message from Pekka Tuominen through the good offices of John Larsen. "He said the last name is "Vitikka" an old family name from Rovaniemi, first name Alb....Just like here in the USA lots of knife makers come and go, and that is the same in Finland, and records of who made knives are pretty scarce in some instances."

Kauhava had many puukko makers at one time. That a regional style might be reflected in the work of several makers seems likely.

8. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
  9. RayseM

Feb 18, 2010
    @The Zieg - I keep coming back to look at this one. I typically prefer the birch bark handled versions and though there are some with fancier wood and details, this one is compelling with its - meant to work - elegant simplicity. Carbon blade?

I love it!

I1wEVBA.jpg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  10. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    Yes, carbon steel blade and stabilized locust grip. It's a working knife for sure. I love the birch bark grips the best, too.

Zieg

11. Tutone

Tutone Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2017
    8C799A18-AAEA-474C-A9E6-2D1645A44D0E.jpeg 0092CE1C-6588-44FE-8B96-1E9619E445FE.jpeg E5EC572C-6488-4A2A-998D-87F991D9E974.jpeg Spalted Yellow Birch Maasepan Puukko from Paige Richard May. Hand forged carbon steel blade by Jamiah Mohoney.

12. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    Heimo Roselli's Vaarinpuukko, "Grandfather's Knife." Curly birch, reindeer leather and fur, carbon steel blade. 7" oal, 3" blade. Light but sturdy. Made in Harmoinen Finland about 1994.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Zieg

13. RayseM

Feb 18, 2010
    On @Will Power's recommendation I wrote to the company and sent photos (all email) asking for info about my Ball Pommel puukko. Here is the reply. :cool:

Hello!

Your knife is called Ball pommel Kauhava knife, link to our current product gives some information of this model: https://www.iisakkijarvenpaa.fi/us/tuotteet-ala/puukot/traditional-models/kauhava-knife.html

Your knife has Finnish Coat of Arms hand engraved to galalite handle. Galalite is old material made from milk protein called kasein. It was quite popular material between 1920´s to 1960´s. Today we have this model usually with birch bark handle but we still have old stock of galalite and use it for selected special models.

Precise age of your knife is hard to say but my best guess is around 1930´s. And yes, it is original Iisakki Järvenpää product.

Best regards

Jarkko Haukkala / Iisakki Järvenpää Osakeyhtiö

Here is the knife being discussed.

BP-Puukko.jpg

Well that was an email worth sending. :thumbsup: Thanks Will.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  14. Arathol

Arathol

Jan 1, 2003
    Here are a couple more
    An older Martiini 121
    [​IMG]

Bought this Heimo Roselli Vaarinpuukko some 20 years ago
    [​IMG]

A Poropuukko Leuku, again 20 some years old
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    robinpeck, mitch4ging, 315 and 10 others like this.
  15. RayseM

Feb 18, 2010
    @Arathol - how do the 2 bottom ones feel in hand? They are lookers but they appear to be real hand fattys. :( I especially like the Poropuukko Leuku though I don't think I would find it usable for the short/fat handle. Just an illusion?

16. Rose and Thistle Custom

Rose and Thistle Custom Josh Mead Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 9, 2018
    light.jpg

17. Arathol

Arathol

Jan 1, 2003
    The Vaarinpuuko isn't all that big and is quite useable. The Leuku is big, about 11 1/2" overall, the handle is about 4 1/2" of that. I guess the handle will depend on your hand size and what you are using it for. The shape of that grip is geared somewhat for use with heavy mittens or gloves. Its not at all uncomfortable if you are using the knife for what its designed for - chopping stuff like small branches, bones etc or when used like you would a small axe. There are other handle types depending on the maker also, some being more round with a swell at the end. The one in the picture is made by Reindeer Knives (Poropuukko), Martiini makes a decent Leuku with a round grip, as does Jarvenpaa.

tongueriver and RayseM like this.
  18. Mayonardo

Mayonardo Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2010
  19. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Rauno Vainionpaa puukko. puukkoseppa2011_1.jpg r3.JPG r4.JPG

20. RayseM

Feb 18, 2010
    That's a twist on the theme :thumbsup: :) @tongueriver.

I like it. A LOT :thumbsup:

mitch4ging likes this.