The Puukko

Nice shed. I may go shed collecting this Spring.
Zieg

Actually, I think this was one from last year. It was pretty white and had a broken tip. Usually the fresh ones I find have lots more color. In any case I left it there. I have no projects needing a bit of antler and this wasn't an especially nice find.

I'm out looking intently now though. They are likely to start falling any time, if not already. Have been very lucky in the past to find some really beautiful pairs. Usually when I find one I can just broaden my search circle and soon enough I find the mate. Pretty cool to find a matched set of antler sheds with no skull in between. ;)

Last edited:
Actually, I think this was one from last year. It was pretty white and had a broken tip. Usually the fresh ones I find have lots more color. In any case I left it there. I have no projects needing a bit of antler and this wasn't an especially nice find.

I'm out looking intently now though. They are likely to start falling any time, if not already. Have been very lucky in the past to find some really beautiful pairs. Usually when I find one I can just broaden my search circle and soon enough I find the mate. Pretty cool to find a matched set of antler sheds with no skull in between. ;)
Many sheds I find here are nibbled on by critters and obviously a year or so old. But they're still good for drilling into and making a handle for old Moras or (my next project) scales for my Becker BK-15.

Zieg

9a6EPIi.jpg

4PXXb4z.jpg

Got this one today. I found it listed on an on-line site as a "camp knife". The pictures were mediocre but it looked kinda nice under the grime.....so I took a chance, and for a few buck this is what was in the box..
A real nice old unmarked birchbark puukko, full blade, most of the original reddish brown varnish intact. The blade is covered with grime and crap but nothing horrible and it hasn't been abused. The handle is a bit different than most, it feels very slender and has a bit of a curve to it. Overall its very light, well balanced and has a good feel to it. I don't know who made this one but whoever it was knew exactly what they were doing.

X6WJ3Pt.jpg

ewOXV1f.jpg

O8ZDQ4h.jpg

If you carefully clean the junk out of the fuller on the right side of the blade, you may see some engraving with the makers name. John

If you carefully clean the junk out of the fuller on the right side of the blade, you may see some engraving with the makers name. John
Yeah I know where the markings are supposed to be, but no such luck.
mk4Hcr7.gif
The blade doesn't have any markings at all. However, there is, in an old Jarvenpaa catalog, references to puukkot that are "same as above, but with curved (or bent or crooked depending on the translation) handle"...not much to go on but its a start...

I hope I didn't kill this thread. I wasn't showing off, just don't have anyway to show a few individual puukko. I very much enjoy seeing other folks puukko. There are several very knowledgeable folks here on puukko.
Rich

I hope I didn't kill this thread. I wasn't showing off, just don't have anyway to show a few individual puukko. I very much enjoy seeing other folks puukko. There are several very knowledgeable folks here on puukko.
Rich
I wouldn't worry about it. Lulls happen.

Just about every puukko maker in Kauhava made this model. Hope you find which one.
The issue is that there are so many, and some of the more well known makers are related (cousins, uncles etc). As result the knife making techniques of the few elder makers were shared, handed down and spread across the whole industry. Most of the Kauhavan style knives look very much alike and the only way to tell them apart is the markings. When they are not marked, there isn't much to distinguish one from another. This is especially true with older puukot that were made by individually before the advent of factory produced knives. Every one is a bit different, and any particular knife could very well have been made by any one of number of makers.

OH man - so how will we revive this thread after R Rich S has killed it off :( :confused:
with a plethora of puukko :D

Yeah, don't worry Rich. Appreciate your puukko enthusiasm. :thumbsup: Just wish we could see some of those in their full glory.

Last edited:
Back