The Puukko

Mike

You are obviously correct about Kauhava" and "Made in Finland", but as you said the first part in the fuller is not legible. The tail end doesn't look like Jarvenpaa IMHO, but of course there were dozens of makers in Kauhava during this period. Keep trying a light cleaning (maybe very fine emory, 1000-1500 grit). Be patient, I think (?) there is something under there :) Still a nice set if maker never known for certain. I have a few puukko that are unsigned or illegible also, it can be quite frustrating.
Rich

Last edited:
Mike

You are obviously correct about Kauhava" and "Made in Finland", but as you said the first part in the fuller is not legible. The tail end doesn't look like Jarvenpaa IMHO, but of course there were dozens of makers in Kauhava during this period. Keep trying a light cleaning (maybe very fine emory, 1000-1500 grit). Be patient, I think (?) there is something under there :) Still a nice set if maker never known for certain. I have a few puukko that are unsigned or illegible also, it can be quite frustrating.
Rich

Rich,

As I previously mentioned I have been in contact with the Iisakki Järvenpää company in Kauhava, an employee of the company (Jarkko Haukkala) informed me that he was certain that my knife wasn't made by his company - he stated it was a copy of their Ball Pommel design, he also stated that the coat of arms on the handle of my knife is not a design that Järvenpää use.

I've done a little more cleaning and some image manipulation, with the poor light we have here at the moment these are the best enhanced pictures of the un-readable part of the signature.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike

Well you have excluded the most common maker. Others that I've seen making this model are Loumanen & Kumpp (some time just marked L & K) and Lammi. Those makers did this style, but then so did some minor makers. Lahdensuo also made many in this style, but they were located in Lapua (and so marked). Hope you can eventually decipher it.
Rich

Last edited:
Looks like he'll need an electron microscope. They just appear as stylized graphics to me.
Intriguing - fortunately doesn't take anything away from the neat pair of knives.

Mike ( and others)

Might try this site: I can't seem to find an email address for Taisto was the president of the Finnish Knife Makers Guild. I hope the Guild is still active. I use to get a lot of good info from them. This is an old link, hope it works. Open in Google Translation or similar translation engine.

http://www.taistokuortti.com/index.html

Be sure to read over (in bad translation) the pages on knives.

Rich

Last edited:
Rich,

The below pictures show the writing on the larger blade, I can read "Made in Finland" on the main part of the blade, also I can read part of it on the right hand side of the fuller - "Kauhava", there also appears to be something written on the left hand side of the fuller - as yet I can't get a clear image of it - hopefully later today after a little more work on the blade I'll be able to get an image of it.

Cheers,

Mike

Get rid of the bright overhead lights and the red back ground, tip the blade sideways a bit to get better contrast, focus is very important too. Take pictures outside out of direct sunlight for best results, or use a scanner to get good glare free high resolution images.
Use Flitz or Simichrome to clean the fuller out, this will give decent results without removing the engraving.

Mike

Any luck on determining the maker on your puukko yet?
Rich
Hello Rich,

Due to one thing and another, I haven't had chance so far this week to further clean the fuller on the Puukko, I will try and do some more cleaning today/tomorrow and see if this reveals any more of the etching/engraving on the fuller.

Cheers,

Mike

At present this is the best picture I can get of the "signature" on my Puukko. I have cleaned the fuller as far as I dare.

Mike
I'm afraid that is going to be a lost cause as to maker :(
Still no clue to me. Can't find anything in Ristinen's book that helps.
Regardless, it's a nice set.
Rich

L & K, Luomanen & Kumppani.
JLVNpUx.png

Yes, might be L & K, but not "totally" convinced yet. I have a horse head set L & K (fully spelled out), similar to Mike's bald set.

Rich

No two knives have the exact same markings, especially on older knives....Not on L&K, not on Jarvenpaa, not any of them. They were done individually by hand by only a few people, so there is a huge amount of variation. I think the L&K is pretty clearly visible if you know what to look for and look close enough....

I agree, L & K. Just went through my collection and found that same marking. Good work, I would not have figured it out without going through my whole collection. You pointed me where to look, thanks.
Where did you find the old L & K catalog?
Rich

No two knives have the exact same markings, especially on older knives....Not on L&K, not on Jarvenpaa, not any of them. They were done individually by hand by only a few people, so there is a huge amount of variation. I think the L&K is pretty clearly visible if you know what to look for and look close enough....

Arathol, thank you for your help, research and identification - it is very much appreciated.

Cheers, Mike

I agree, L & K. Just went through my collection and found that same marking. Good work, I would not have figured it out without going through my whole collection. You pointed me where to look, thanks.
Where did you find the old L & K catalog?
Rich

Rich, thanks alot for all your help on this - it is very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike

Back