Question for the Spydie Experts

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Flatlander1963, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Flatlander1963

Flatlander1963 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Got my PE Mini-Manix yesterday that I bought on the Sale Forum. I'm not sure if I'm the 3rd owner but that's what I'm assuming. It is in NIB condition except for the fact it won't snap shut like all my other Spydercos. The blade is perfectly centered and pops open and locks up tight. But I have to push it all the way down to seat it shut.

I asked the sell if he'd tightend up the pivot screw but he said no and that he'd not ever used it.

So, all ya'all Spydie fans...what should I do to correct the lack of snap issue?

Thanks gw

2. LorenzoL

LorenzoL

Mar 9, 2009
    Did you try to loosen the pivot?
    Also, some cleaning and lubing may do the trick. If it is indeed NIB there is no reason why it should not snap shut.

3. THG

THG

May 18, 2008
    Loosen the pivot a little. If there is too much play, loosen the lockbar's pivot, adjust the blade's pivot to where there is no horizontal play and it still closes well, and then tighten the lockbar's pivot just to the point where it starts to make the closing "bad."

4. Razzierb

Razzierb

Jun 26, 2003
    There's likely lint in the lock that you can't see. Had this happen with another knife and it drove me nuts.

5. Flatlander1963

Jan 28, 2008
    I haven't tightened or loosened the nut yet. I may have the wrench in the shop but I didn't on my pudder table in the office. I did use gun scrubber (a degreasing spray and cleaner), and a none gumming oil on it. So unless its some lint I cant see its likely an issue with the tightness of the pivot nut.

The Plain Edged Mini-Manix is just a fantastic knife. I'm not sure I really need another pocket knife in my life except maybe for a Go to Church small Gentleman's knife and my Caly 3 which does nicely for that. But then I'd have to give up my Manix and Enduras. And you guys know I'm not studying on that either.;)

Thanks for the suggestions. g

6. Josh K

Josh K Pirate

Sep 29, 2008
    Mine (154CM) only "snaps" back in when it's <1" away from the handle. My S90V will snap about 1.5" away.

7. amen74

amen74

Mar 10, 2008
    The OP is talking about the original lockback Manix.;)

8. Josh K

Josh K Pirate

Sep 29, 2008
    :foot:

I keep seeing the Manix 2 as a mini Manix.

9. amen74

amen74

Mar 10, 2008
    Yeah, I can see where it could get confusing. Maybe they should have named the M2 something else.

10. Josh K

Josh K Pirate

Sep 29, 2008
    I think it's a good progression, like Endura 3 -> 4, Delica 3 -> 4.

11. Flatlander1963

Jan 28, 2008
    I'm a Mini Man!!!! But seriously, I've got an issue with a Mini Manix.

I did go and buy the S90V M2 but I don't think I'll keep it. :(

12. Josh K

Josh K Pirate

Sep 29, 2008
    Why not?

13. Flatlander1963

Jan 28, 2008
    Well two reasons really.
    1) I'm not going to start collecting Spydercos or at least that's the plan.
    2) The Mini is a better knife IMO. I guess the plastic cover over the ball lock is just to tacky looking for me.

14. Flatlander1963

Jan 28, 2008
    OK,

Went out the shop and pulled out my Hex head wretch set and it looks like a 2mm is the right size but a hex head is not the right wrench. So I'm going to have to to the the hardware store.

What is the wrench I should be buying? Thanks guys.

15. anti-torsion

anti-torsion

Jul 10, 2009
    Hey Flatlander, it's going to be a torx, I don't have a mini but just guessing, I would say its a T10 as thats pretty common with the torx pivot screws.

16. Murdoc370

Murdoc370

Sep 27, 2006
    Did you see my Manix disassembly thread?

You will need two (!) T10 torx wrenches to open the pivot screw.

First, you could try to loosen the pivot so much you can easily wiggle the blade around, and then do so under a (running ;)) water tap. If (after drying, lubing and retightening the pivot screw) the blade still doesn't snap close, I suggest you take the knife apart for a thorough cleaning. It is very easy to do, and more importantly, it is easy to put it together again, too :)

Besides the T-10, you will need a T8 for the scale screws.

Good luck!

Dennis

17. Flatlander1963

Jan 28, 2008
    Thanks Dennis. I'm off to the Home Depot to get a Torx wretch set. I'll look at your thread when I get back.

18. Flatlander1963

Jan 28, 2008
    Thanks THG.

I finially got a set of Torx drivers and played around with tension on the pivot and lockbar screw per THG's instructions. I've lost center when closed but the snap on the blade when closing is pretty good now.

It locks up tight as a drum and the blade does not touch the liner. If center is 5 on a scale of 1 to 10, this blade is about an 8.

Any suggestions to center the blade without loosing the snap when closing?