question regarding protech vs umnumzaan

bui

For some reason I was having a hard time choosing between two pro tech's, (TR-3 and TR-4 manuals) or an (UMNUMZAAN). I could get the pro techs for about the same as the UMNUMZAAN.
vs
s35v 154-CM s35v

Any suggestions

Protechs. They don't have the refinement of the CRK but they are good quality knives and take a scalpel edge. They're great users and not so expensive you won't actually use it. I've gotten into knives in the CRK price range and found they just sit at home. my real users/carriers are in the $200 range. could be that's just me though. The TR4 has been in my short list a while now.

thanks for the feed back. I went with the pro techs. When I get them I will post what I think about them

just to follow up; I received both tr-3 and tr-4. I am amazed how much i like the tr-4 manual. I can't find a thing I don't like. Tr-3 I also like but have a serious problem with the frame lock. It is very early in it's lock up and it sticks.

Can anyone give some info on the push button lock system on the tr-4. Is it strong how does it compare with the other locks.

The TR-4 is a nice knife for sure. I prefer the Umnumzaan, but, hey, two for the price of one :D

As for the lock, I don't think you've got anything to worry about strength-wise. As long as there's no blade play, you're good. Just don't go nuts and treat it like a fixed blade.

Now PICS!

protechtr-3.jpg

IMG_2301_resize.jpg

IMG_2299_resize.jpg

tr-4_resize.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice photo comparisons. I'm looking for a nice Acies myself -- is that an original or a 2?

And those ProTechs are calling...

just to follow up; I received both tr-3 and tr-4. I am amazed how much i like the tr-4 manual. I can't find a thing I don't like. Tr-3 I also like but have a serious problem with the frame lock. It is very early in it's lock up and it sticks.

I went with the TR-3 manual (limited custom version) over the Zaan and I'm quite happy with mine. Though, like yours, early in the lock-up and it stuck a little. Though, it broke in quite nicely. About 40% and doesn't stick anymore. Just give it a chance.

Pro-Tech fit and finish is outstanding. Just purchased a Sprint auto for office carry. I have to say, very impressed with Pro-Tech.

Lev

Thanks for the feed back. The Acies is the original.
How long did it take your TR-3 to work in. I like the knife and like it to replace my current EDC but the lock drives me crazy.

How long did it take your TR-3 to work in. I like the knife and like it to replace my current EDC but the lock drives me crazy.

Some things that may help a sticky frame/linerlock:
1. Make sure the lock-tang is clean of any lubricants.
2. Try the pencil trick. Use the pencil to mark the spot where the lock-face contacts the lock-tang.
3. Try the magic-marker trick. Use the marker to mark the spot where the lock-face contacts the lock-tang.

The magic-marker works best for me.

I love the design of the TR4, but the TR3 looks like a perfect EDC.
Great choice of knives. :D
Thanks for the pictures.

Oh, btw... do you have a Benchmade thumb-stud on that Sebenza?

In the first few weeks for mine. I also opened and closed it a lot just sitting around watching TV. It was gradual, but noticeable daily. I had a Mcusta Tactility that was the same, but it never broke in. As many have stated on this forum, try the pencil trick. I'd hate to see you sell it off for that reason alone because it is a great knife.

Lev

Some things that may help a sticky frame/linerlock:
1. Make sure the lock-tang is clean of any lubricants.
2. Try the pencil trick. Use the pencil to mark the spot where the lock-face contacts the lock-tang.
3. Try the magic-marker trick. Use the marker to mark the spot where the lock-face contacts the lock-tang.

4. Try a Sebenza or an Umnumzaan. (IMO) Actually, my NIB Zaan was a bit sticky. Sent it back to CRK and it came back fine. I'm at the point where I only carry a Sebbie. It is, they are, they always will be...FAULTLESS.
Obviously, I'm opinionated, but I've had at least ten Sebbies and they all were the same...PERFECT.
Sonnydze

4. Try a Sebenza or an Umnumzaan. (IMO) Actually, my NIB Zaan was a bit sticky. Sent it back to CRK and it came back fine. I'm at the point where I only carry a Sebbie. It is, they are, they always will be...FAULTLESS.
Obviously, I'm opinionated, but I've had at least ten Sebbies and they all were the same...PERFECT.
Sonnydze

CRK is great, just don't flick them too hard. ;)

In regards to the TR-4 lock, does anyone know if the lock design is similar to the Hogue ex-o1.

Back