Quickest new fake to market

In a store by the bay I was surprised to see the new mini recon already being faked by our friends in China. The real mini just hit the market and less then a month later these cheesy fakes are for sale for_15 to $59 .
Easy to spot with green handles,black or silver blade with black thumb stud, flimsy looking clip, like they weren't even trying. No mistaking for the real thing, which is pretty nice . Didn't it used to take a year for a new knife to be faked? Amazing and sad.

I believe it might be somewhat faster/easier if the genuine brand name product is being made in country ; but ,still ...all they got to do is buy one knife and copy it .

Some of the the most accurate counterfeits , I suspect might even come from the same factories as the real deal .

The real shame is that nobody who cares has the juice to shut down Ebay and other obvious outlets . China has too much undue influence , IMO .

Thing is I don't have a grudge against original quality knives from China. Some of the higher end brands show stunning fit/finish and design. However the fakes have caused so much trouble on a person to person level. Bad feelings,anger, lack of trust etc. Local flea markets,gun shows pawn shops full of them. Doesn't help our hobby at all

There are counterfeit Recon 1’s all over eBay now, etched CTS XHP (collectible now), and people are paying high dollar for these fakes. One recently sold for $172.50. Yikes! DBDEC6E6-5D7D-416A-B5FC-0D2EF185E827.jpg
They are pretty convincing in photos, but I can tell it’s fake based on blade finish and the way the edge looks. Of course, I report them but eBay doesn’t care.

What would I look for exactly to pinpoint a fale
I primarily collect these Recon 1s, so I have developed an eye for the minute details. These are very difficult to tell apart from the genuine ones.

If the picture is good enough, I can tell that the blade coating has more of a flat paint look than the genuine DLC coating. The biggest “tell” for me is the edge finish. I know what a new recon 1 edge looks like. There is a clean transition from the edge to the DLC. In these fakes, the edge has a gradual transition to whatever coating they use. I’ve also noticed that the area around the thumbstud looks oily or discolored. See picture below that shows all of these signs:
B5A7FBCA-2D4E-4614-80B7-B3D4010C9656.jpeg
Also beware of any green handle/satin blade combos. These were never offered by CS.

In a store by the bay I was surprised to see the new mini recon already being faked by our friends in China. The real mini just hit the market and less then a month later these cheesy fakes are for sale for_15 to $59 .
Easy to spot with green handles,black or silver blade with black thumb stud, flimsy looking clip, like they weren't even trying. No mistaking for the real thing, which is pretty nice . Didn't it used to take a year for a new knife to be faked? Amazing and sad.

Thank you for the heads up on this. I found them on eBay and will update the counterfeits thread with photos.

-Steve

Thank you for the heads up on this. I found them on eBay and will update the counterfeits thread with photos.

-Steve
Just to be clear, there are no fake mini recon 1’s as of now. They are counterfeit recon 1 clip points. I did see the fake on eBay that the OP was referencing at the time they posted, but it was a fake full size listed as a recon 1 mini.

Just to be clear, there are no fake mini recon 1’s as of now. They are counterfeit recon 1 clip points. I did see the fake on eBay that the OP was referencing at the time they posted, but it was a fake full size listed as a recon 1 mini.

Good catch! I was taking my cue from this

IMG-1951.jpg

when I should have been looking a little closer at the photos. The specifications claim that the blade is 91mm,

IMG-1952.jpg

which is roughly 3.5 inches.

So, if accurate, these aren't really fake Recon 1s or Mini Recon 1s, but rather fake Recon 7/8ths! Maybe Cold Steel could thwart the counterfeiters by following Microtech's lead and making a new Recon .875 model.

-Steve

Back