Randall’s O1 steel pitting observation

ewantit

Gold Member
I’ve always been a fan of carbon steel knives. The patina shows character, and not much effort is needed to get the edge shaving sharp. However, I noticed whenever I find a used carbon Randall (with patina) it always shows pitting too. Certain carbon steels will patina with lower likelihood for pitting (52-100), but Randalls just seem to be more prone to pitting. For example, look at used (with patina) Randall knives on eBay and I don’t recall not seeing pitting too. Has anyone noticed Randall’s steel is more prone to pitting versus other carbon steels?

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed Randall’s steel is more prone to pitting versus other carbon steels?
The few Randalls that I have bought were bought with the intention of using them, but have yet to do so. I'm going to say that if Randall's carbon steel is taken care of correctly it is not prone pitting more than any other carbon steel. I suspect that those that are pitted suffer from being stored in their sheath over long periods of time among other maladies. JMHO, others may have different opinions. Preston

I'm going with Preston on this one, it's all about care and conditions. As an example, a friend recently brought by an early 1960's RMK #3-6 that he'd found in an old, dry barn they were repurposing the wood from. Minor patina and light surface rust that wiped right off with Flitz. ~55 years old and no pitting. The sheath was a bit dry, but spruced right up after a Sno-Seal rub-down. It's his new hunting knife. As always, YMMV...

I have not experienced any issues with any of my 01 carbon Randalls despite even keeping a majority of them stored in their sheath's. Of course I keep a light layer of CLP or a product called Rust Free that I got from AG Russell on them.:thumbsup:

I once left a stainless Randall (blade marking: "SS") in the sheath for quite a while and then discovered some pitting. I was lucky to have the Randall shop buff it out and warn me, "Never store your knives in their sheaths."
-Steve

Iv never had any pitting on a user. I have had putting from o1 sitting in my safe for a few months(without sheath). Used a super eraser and it straightened it out for the most part. Seems to me putting is more of a problem with non users. Once a solid patina forms you should be alot safer from it

Both my Randalls #8 #10(SS) and all my other o1 steels dont have a problem with pitting
while stored in sheaths,I polish with flitz,then coat the blades with eezox.
Never had a problem.JMO

Last edited:
Back