Randall Model 2 with no butt cap

Hello All,

I am considering a model 2, 5 inch for carry now that Texas no longer deems a double edge blade an illegal weapon. I have found several that look great but I particularly like this one with no butt cap at knives ship free. My question is does the fact that it doesn’t have the cap make it less durable?? Anyone have any experience with Randalls with no butt caps? Any input greatly appreciated.

https://www.knivesshipfree.com/randall-made-knives-model-2-5-fighting-stiletto-micarta-307/

I carry a 5-4 with no butt cap or plate. Never had any problems with this knife or any other
Randall.

Thank you for the replies. I’ve done more research and they seem to do just fine. I have found very little info on Randalls that failed. They seem to be very few and far between.

Hi Melvin,
Thanks again for the response. Your comment of “nice older Randall” makes me wonder about the history of this knife. Is there anything you can tell me about it from just looking at the picture? I’ve already learned from your post because I thought it was a “newer” Randall. Obviously, I am not a Randall guy but am definitely getting sucked in. I’ve looked at some info that says you can guesstimate a time of manufacture from the stamp, grind, handle and sheath. I have just started to scratch the surface. Thanks again.

Yes, that spacer stack, two thin reds, two thin whites, and the thick black center spacer was used roughly late '77 through early '84. The blade stamp indicates same. The center spacer of the early '80's faded badly, turning to gray during or soon after the build process; Randall soon switched over to all thin spacers.

Interestingly enough, the new thin center spacer looks or turned blue on the earliest knives using it. Your knife is, in my estimation, about forty years old. I'd like to see the back of the sheath. The sheath may or may not be original to the knife; seeing the back side would clarify. :thumbsup:

Once again thank you. I love this forum and the fact our members are so knowledgeable and helpful. I haven’t been on the forum in a few years but when I get the knife I will take some pictures and figure out how to post them.

Unfortunately, no. The R stamp stands for Replacement - that's what I was concerned about. Still, it is an authorized sheath, circa early 1990's. :thumbsup:

Thank you sir. I was wondering what the R stood for. Knife is Great. I am very happy with it. I bought it to use and the sheath fits quite nicely. I am giving some feedback to knivesshipfree that they need to take pictures of both sides of the knife AND sheath so that collectors know what they are getting. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Good idea. Glad I could help. The original sheath type shows up in eBay pretty often, I'll let you know if I see one. Glad you're happy, those are great knives. :thumbsup:

Back