Randall No. 1

Gents,

Any comments regarding the suitability of the Randall No. 1 with all the new high tech fighters and survival blades on the market. I have a No.1, bought in `72 while in the service. Don`t carry it anymore, I`m afraid of losing and old friend to a customs or imigration agent somewhere. I had thoughts of buying a new one.

Comments?

I've always really liked the design... and everything I keep learning about how a fighting knife performs, and what I like in one, keeps re-inforcing to me that a design of that style is one of the best, but still have no experiance with it first hand... and on a high school students budget, I probably wont for a few years.

(Might drop $70 or so on the Cold Steel version with the Kraton handle... or go ahead and drop $130 on the micarta handled one with better steel... just to familiarize myself with the design, maybe even to carry sometimes, but dont even have the cash for that immediatly :(.)

It has worked well for sixty years. People have not changed in that time in their relation to how a knife performs. Steel cuts flesh, and that 01 is a far cry better than 95% of all stainless wonder-steels. The balance was just right back in the older versions and has not changed.

If you have one that is that nice and still love it, get another. I traded mine off b/c the stock handle was not for me, but a single finger groove is in the future.

In short, if it performed for you back then it will do so now.

I agree 100 percent! This knife and the No.14 have stood the test of time. No BG42 or G10 but the No.1 design and materials still work with the best of them.

All true, the No. 1 is a time proven design that still works, and well if the Randall back log is any indication.

I have been out of the US for sometime, in an area that the latest and greatest from the smiths and production MFGR's are not available for inpection. A great deal has been written lately regarding the scale material, especially the slipperyness ( is that a word)or tack. I have never had a problem with the smooth leather grips or micarta. In fact with pistols using tacky materials, I've found that upon presentation of the weapon, if I fail to index properly I have a difficult time shifting the grip. Utilizing walnut slabs on an auto (1911) the pistol just seems to roll in to postion, single handed or two handed. I personally found the same works with a knife.

Thanks for the comments.

Back