Recessed wall display for Arno Bernard collection

Wanted to display my Arno Bernard knife collection and was bored this weekend, so I got out the dry wall zip cutter and went to work

Attachments

• studs.jpg
    studs.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 110
Left a gap in the center for the double glass doors as the frame for the doors would cover about 6 inches. Then decided to just put one large sheet of plexiglass over the whole display and add another row of small knives down the center. This is complete without the plexiglass. This project was relatively easy (if you have a cooperative wife!!!) and the cost was much cheaper than the custom wall cases on the internet.

Attachments

• IMG_7336.JPG
    IMG_7336.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 110
My wife would ..............................
angry-wife.jpg

Nice, I never would have thought to cut out section of sheet rock. You could go really go on a room to make it a trophy room. :thumbsup:

Nice, I never would have thought to cut out section of sheet rock. You could go really go on a room to make it a trophy room. :thumbsup:

Yea, most houses have 16 inch centers on the studs so it makes it easy. You can cut out the center stud and have 32 inches between the two remaining studs. However in the project above, I ran into a brace and had to cut out more studs. This was a non-load bearing wall that actually supports nothing so I do not know why the builders put in such impressive bracing. The recessed display is a good use of space and makes the room look larger.

What about insulation or hitting wires?

If use interior walls only, you will usually not run into insulation unless the builder used insulation in an interior wall for sound suppression purposes. Most wiring for wall plugs is "daisy chained" by running the wiring through the studs down low from plug to plug, but you do need to be careful about the wiring. In my case, this project was opposite the kitchen and I had already remodeled the kitchen and knew where the wiring was located. For wiring precautions, I would turn off the breakers and use a rotating zip bit with the depth set to the thickness of the dry wall.

Looks great. In the second picture, it appears you have a similar process as me. By the time the job's done, every tool I own is involved and out.

Yea, and that is just the tools that got in the picture. The air compressor, nail guns, etc are on the floor. You would have thought I was remodeling the whole house to build a 48 x 36 display.

Awesome display! I am also an Arno Bernard fan. Excellent collection.

Back