Recommendation? Recommend me a knife for my birthday

First off, thanks to everyone who helped me out on my last recommend me thread. Got myself an Opinel no 8 in Bubinga and a small Mora for my fishing needs, as well as some other knives I have my eye on. My birthday just passed and I'd like to get a nice folder as a gift for myself. I'd like something high quality that will last me for decades.

About me and my uses: I live in NYC and EDC a SAK everyday, at home my EDC right now is either a Ruike P801 or a KaBar Dozier. Uses for this knife would be EDC at home, it'll maybe get some fishing, hiking/light camping, gardening duties as well.

Budget : $80-$180
Steel : Stainless steel, would like to buy my first "high-end" steel knife
Knife type : Folder
Blade length : 2.75-3.5"
Weight : The lighter the better, not a fan of big and heavy knives. Let's say...<4 oz or so.
Clip : Deep carry clip is a really good idea for me due to where I live, am open to aftermarket deep carry clips if it'll all fall within the budget.
Handle : Anything nice and grippy.
Lock type : Anything strong, simple and reliable.

I've looked at the Bugout (looks great, lightweight, but handles can be squeezed together?!?)
Spydercos (Delica looks good, but a bit boring, PM2 looks interesting...)
Benchmade 940 looks a bit thick/heavy to my eye, but never held it in hand and quite expensive.

What would you guys recommend? Thanks in advance.

0450, the full Ti Version. Maybe from USA Made Blade with anodizing, Whitty could probably hook you up. :thumbsup:

Edit: And happy belated Birthday.

Get the Bugout. Yes the handles can be squeezed together... but what does that really mean? The blade doesn't drop when you do it. The lock doesn't fail. The handles don't break. Being able to squeeze the handle scales together just means you can squeeze the handles together. It's a great knife.

I'm a big Delica fan too though and it can always be dressed up:

20180422_104752.jpg

Spyderco Manix 2. S110V (3 oz) or S30V lockback (4.4 oz)

Like TLE said, a custom Delica is within your budget.

Buck Vantage Pro Large S30V. 4.4 oz tho.

I think you need a Buck 112, for your outdoor adventures. The 112 gets the nod over the 110 based on your location.

Spyderco PM2 in CPM cruwear from knifecenter. An awesome knife in awesome steel and not everyone has one....but they should!

How big are your hands? I love the PM 2, but the smaller Native 5 fits my hand slightly better. A Native 5 is a superb knife, lightweight, the CPM S35 VN steel is excellent, and in G10 the handle would be even grippier than my FRN model.

Another vote for the Benchmade 556. Just got this in yesterday as my new beater/work knife. Fits your criteria perfectly and one of my favorite knives so i recommend it to anyone. I have medium size hands fwiw.
0614181856-1.jpg 0614181856a-1.jpg

all the suggestions are great, I can't add to the list... but I will say you will have a hard time improving on the Ruike P801. Excellent stainless steel, ergos, handle etc. Just preparing you for this likelihood :)

First off, thanks to everyone who helped me out on my last recommend me thread. Got myself an Opinel no 8 in Bubinga and a small Mora for my fishing needs, as well as some other knives I have my eye on. My birthday just passed and I'd like to get a nice folder as a gift for myself. I'd like something high quality that will last me for decades.

About me and my uses: I live in NYC and EDC a SAK everyday, at home my EDC right now is either a Ruike P801 or a KaBar Dozier. Uses for this knife would be EDC at home, it'll maybe get some fishing, hiking/light camping, gardening duties as well.

Weight : The lighter the better, not a fan of big and heavy knives. Let's say...<4 oz or so.
Clip : Deep carry clip is a really good idea for me due to where I live, am open to aftermarket deep carry clips if it'll all fall within the budget.

I've looked at the Bugout (looks great, lightweight, but handles can be squeezed together?!?)
Benchmade 940 looks a bit thick/heavy to my eye, but never held it in hand and quite expensive.

You mentioned the pm2 and 940, here's some pics to compare with a p801.
0U256kT.jpg

h4aIWDO.jpg

Benchmade will send you a deep carry clip for free if you ask. Flip a coin between these two, either way you'll end up with a great knife

Delica's don't have to be boring
image.jpg

Awesome ideas. I already have a Buck 110 actually, love it. PM2 seems great but just a bit too big for my needs, so is the normal size Griptilian.

I'm really leaning towards either a Mini-Grip 556-1 or Bugout 535 with custom carbon fiber or G10 scales. I love the look of the Bugout blade, but the 556-1 is good looking also.

How does CPM-20V compare with CPMS30V when it comes to water stone sharpening? I only like to hand sharpen with waterstones.

I dont really like that the bugout handle is like a hard plastic. The Bugout in gray carbon fiber is amazingly good looking IMO, and it's just around $200, which I can swing. How does it compare to getting G10 custom scales? Is the G 10 much more grippier than a carbon fiber knife if you have wet hands? I've never owned carbon fiber handles, but it seems nicer and isn't much more than G10 custom.

I also see that you can get a backspacer in different colors for only $15 to add rigidity, which was really my only worry (and the "plastic-y" handle). Anyone have experience with customizing the Bugout any of these ways?

The Spyderco Sage 5 meets all your requirements out of the box, even the deep carry clip.

The Native 5 as previously recommended is a similar knife with a shorter blade, back lock instead of the Sage’s compression lock, and greater variety in steel. However a deep carry clip would need to be added.

The Sage is a little bigger in both handle and blade, but the blade is much thinner behind the edge than that of the Native, and thus it’s an outstanding slicer. Since the PM2 is attractive but a little big to you, you may find the Sage 5 ideal.

Back