Recommend outdoor shops in Manhattan New York?

Hello, I'm going to be visiting New York at the end of March for ten days and staying near Central Station.
Can anyone recommend any outdoor/knife shops that are worth checking out?
I'm hoping to get some Maxpedition gear while I'm over there,but,any suggestions will be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance. :thumbup:

Paragon Sports
Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS)
Tent & Trails
NY Ironworks

There's also a big tactical store on Broadway near SoHo called Iceberg

Have a safe trip!

sithjedi333 said:
Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS)
Two stores. The one on Houston is better. Because it's a couple of blocks away from the Patagonia store.

Thanks very much people.
I've never been to the States before so I have no expectations (except buying things)
Cheers

soup_monger,

For Maxpedition gear check out the Westside Rifle and Pistol Range at 20 West 20th Street. 212-929-7287

Would think a guy would throw some business his brother-in-law's way. ;) Inside joke, folks. Could not resist.

Alan

Thanks Alan, I'll take a look there,and say you sent me.;)
And Akabu has the link to answer my question, excellent!
Cheers:thumbup:

I don't know if you'll have access to a car during your trip, but if you do, a trip to Paramus NJ (maybe 45 minutes if there's traffic) will get you to Campmor and Ramsey Outdoor on Rte 17(they're within a mile or so of each other, and there's a big EMS store literally right next to Campmor). Amazing places, and much less expensive than the Manhattan stores in general.

There used to a nice Swiss Army store not too far from Iceberg, too; everything at list price, but then again they *have* everything Swiss Army, too :)

Enjoy your trip. It's a good time of year to visit.

Thanks John,
I'm not sure what the transport situation will be as I will be working some of the time,but,I've taken a note of your tip and ,if theres a chance, then I'll go and have a look.
Could someone tell me what sort of temperatures to expect in Manhattan late March/ early April?
Cheers

I would definately recommend the trip to Paramus to visit Campmor.

However, becasue of the laws in that county, stores are closed on Sunday, so plan no trips for that particular day.

On Route 17 there lot's of store's to check out, so hold on too your wallet:D Right across from campmore is EMS and before them is Ramsey Sports and if your looking for Cowboy Boot's thier is and outlet. :D Use theSuperPage's:D

This is great help people:thumbup: Sounds like Campmore and EMS are the clear favourites,
I will also be looking for a place to get myself a North Face (Or another American brand) Goretex jacket too, as they are about half the price of the UK retailers.
I think there will be a lot of Scots in Manhattan during Tartan week.:)

Weather: figure slightly chilly, good chance of rain. You should have a decent jacket and a sweater, but probably won't need a parka or real snow boots.

Thanks John, sounds a lot like Scotland. We've got a cold snap today, bright sunshine and hard frost.
I'm looking forward to my visit to NY

look at prices for the gortex jackets at the campmor web site, as they are much cheaper there than retail.

www.campmor.com

edited to add: there are a few liquor stores in manhattan that sell your country's
best product at less than half the UK price.

Thanks for the link Shaldag ,that shop must be huge.
Liquor stores selling my countries best product cheaper than here???

I didn't know they sold Haggis over there.:D

tonyccw said:
Two stores. The one on Houston is better. Because it's a couple of blocks away from the Patagonia store.
FYI,
The uptown (EMS) store closed on the 22 of January.
Right after I started a new job within walking distance :grumpy:

soup_monger said:
Thanks for the link Shaldag ,that shop must be huge.
Liquor stores selling my countries best product cheaper than here???

I didn't know they sold Haggis over there.:D
It is! EMS is not as large and Ramsey has hunting and fishing
equip. You can find food's from all over the world here and This is a 24/7 city:D

Back