Recommendations for small/tiny quality folders

Dr Blazer

Platinum Member
Hello, I prefer small 2.5" or less folders. I have a Hoback MK Ultra and love it, but I don't want anything larger than that. My left arm is paralyzed, so I also need it to be one hand friendly. I've been thinking about the Curtiss F3 Compact & Nano and the Olamic Busker. I also love the CRK Mnandi, but it's not as one hand friendly as I would like. I would love to hear your recommendations on some good, uncommon, lesser known mid tech to high-end small knives for me. Thank you.

Last edited:
If you can find a Mnandi with the old nail nick it would very one hand friendly. The Busker is a great blade and I would fully recommend that one as well. The smaller Curtiss knives in my opinion are not that great. I love the medium F3 but anything smaller than that I find the action to be lacking. Some other small knives I would recommend are Jason Guthrie Rover, Ray Laconico Yorkie or Minpin, and William Henry E-6.

The roadie by Spyderco is light and small amd very unique. Also another vote for a Dragonfly.

,,,Mike in Canada

Sorry, I just did a little bit of editing to the tile and my post to express that I'm looking for recommendations and that the knife must be one hand friendly

The OP states he suffers a paralyzed arm, and you suggest a 2 hand opening knife? Classy.

I just added "recommendations" to the title, it was a little misleading before that. Before adding recommendations, it may have appeared that I just wanted to hear others preferred small folders.

I just added "recommendations" to the title, it was a little misleading before that. Before adding recommendations, it may have appeared that I just wanted to hear others preferred small folders.

Hence I deleted my post, as I read your edited post, and earlier posters did not.

Cold Steel Tuff Lite has a 2.5" blade, but fills the hand nicely. 2" of cutting surface

The mini Tuff Lite is a bit smaller yet, and still pretty hand-filling, with that forward finger choil.

Another vote for the Spyderco Dragonfly 2.

Kershaw Chive is a classic and is spring-assisted.

Spyderco makes a bunch of knives that would be perfect. A few examples:
-Techno
-Lil Native
-Cat G10
-Dragonfly 2
-Baby Jess Horn

I'll second the Kershaw Chive. One of my best friends carries one daily and its teh first knife I thought of.

Some off the wall traditional suggestions...

GEC makes/made? a one-hand opening Barlow based on a pattern popular after the Civil War due to the large number of amputations. The main blade has a hook at the end that can be caught on a pocket seam to lift the blade open. Finding GEC knives can be a wild goose chase but this is purpose built knife.
15-Barlow-One-Arm-455x270.png

Also worth noting that there is a class of single blade traditionals that are "pinchable" and thus can be opened and closed one handed. It takes some practice but is very easy once you get it. Small sodbusters and small lockbacks like the Schrade 5OT and Buck 503 are all easily opened/closed one-handed (with a bit of practice).

The Spyderco Rhino is a great little knife. Easy one hand operation with the compression lock. It's a nice little quality knife. Had one and really liked it but it was just too small for me. For a small knife it has a really great slicer of a blade. A lot of small compact knives tend to have big thick wedges for blades.

mTgw0wkl.jpg

hX8ukwhl.jpg

The Spyderco Lil Native comes just under 2.5" and one version has the compression lock for easy use. I think it would be perfect for your situation. Leaf shaped blade in S30V. Likely handle anything you can throw at it.

The Spyderco Rhino is another excellent choice for the same reasons. Compression lock is an ease to use one-handed and the Rhino comes with CTS-XHP which a great steel. The Rhino is also slightly thinner bladed so it should slice better.

I'm sorry again because I forgot to specify that I'm interested in mid-tech and semi custom small folders. I will edit my first post again. Sometimes I am very smart, and times like these I'm a fool. Anyway, I already have a Spyderco Techno, 3 different Squeaks, 2 Spins, several Dragonfly's, and many others. I've been thinking about buying a Rhino. I actually have a lot of small and tiny knives. I am just hoping to hear about some of the lesser known and not common mid tech, semi custom, and higher end small folders. Again, I'm sorry about that.

I already have a few Kershaw Chives. A rainbow colored Chive that I bought in 2005 is the first knife that got me into tiny EDC's. I still have that Chive and it still works great considering that I have thoroughly abused it.

Yes, I have a Goblin and an Imp. I like them both a lot.
Ha! Just saw your post after mine about midtechs/customs. I would definitely say a Busker would be on my very short list if I were in your position. I would also maybe look at some William and Henry knives. I don't care for their gaudier numbers, but their buttonlocks are very, very well done and they have some unique and really interesting knives.

Ha! Just saw your post after mine about midtechs/customs. I would definitely say a Busker would be on my very short list if I were in your position. I would also maybe look at some William and Henry knives. I don't care for their gaudier numbers, but their buttonlocks are very, very well done and they have some unique and really interesting knives.
Thanks, I'll definitely look into them

Back