1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Recommendation? Recon 1 Clip Point finish removal

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by MTHall720, May 16, 2019 at 1:15 AM.

1. MTHall720

MTHall720 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2010
    May sound goofy but I just don't like the black finish. Don't currently own one but someday would like to if I can figure out an easy, sure way to take off the black and end up with a bright satin finish. Has anyone tried that?

2. jux t

jux t

Jan 10, 2018
    Ive seen people use wire wheels to remover the DLC. Another option is buying a satin version, I think some are still available from a Canadian knife retailer.

MTHall720 likes this.
  3. MTHall720

MTHall720 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Thanks very much. Didn't know they came in Satin.

jux t likes this.
  4. jux t

jux t

Jan 10, 2018
    They were made exclusively for this particular Canadian knife retailer. I have two satin clip points, and really want to add a satin spear point. They are great knives.

5. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    The DLC can also be sanded off by hand. I've done it. I forget what grit I started at. Maybe 150 or 80. Use a sanding block and Windex. If you don't have experience with hand sanding you might not end up with a great finish.