1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Red Jacket Gun Shop/TV Show

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by David Stifle, Jun 9, 2014.

1. David Stifle

David Stifle

Nov 20, 2008
    Hi folks,

I saw a Tv show featuring the Red jacket Gun Shop, and in this particular episode they were working on a fully automatic 22 caliber rifle with a drum magazine mounted on the top of the rifle. I tried to find it on the internet, but my google foo must be weak. Does anyone know what weapon this is? I'm just curious.

2. Darrin Sanders

Darrin Sanders Knifemaker Moderator

May 6, 2009
    I remember when they were still being made in both semi and full auto versions back in the early 80's. If I remember correctly they are called "American 180" made by American arms.

3. Bowman1911

Bowman1911

Dec 12, 2010
    Haven't seen the show you're talkin' about, but was it a Calico? By Calico arms? I ask because I used to own the .22 kit. Helical wound 50 or 100 round drum top loaded into the gun & dropped the brass straight down out of the chamber. They came in .22 pistol, 9mm pistol, & 9mm carbine.

4. NaturalMystic

NaturalMystic

May 24, 2006
    Not sure about the gun but the show is called Sons of Guns.

5. David Stifle

David Stifle

Nov 20, 2008
    That's the show. I'm not sure what it was, but it was truly a wicked little gun. As I recall, They were making a silencer for this weapon, when they fired it off ,musta put a 100 rounds or more through it a matter of seconds.
    They were concentrated on making a silencer for this weapon, after much blah, blah, blah they make a titanium silencer which they made sure we knew was now available. It was actually pretty darned cool when they fired this little gun off.

6. NaturalMystic

NaturalMystic

May 24, 2006
    Actually yeah now I remember the episode, I saw it about 3-4 weeks ago. The owner was burning through silencers because of the sheer heat generated from the rapid firing. That was a sweet gun.

7. David Stifle

David Stifle

Nov 20, 2008
    Both Darren and Sid nailed it. Sure looks like a fun gun. I think I'll keep my eyes open for this one, you never know.

8. blue109

blue109

Dec 11, 2013
    probably not nearly as fun in semi auto.

9. Sid Post

Sid Post

Oct 14, 1998
    Since the "1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act", the manufacturer of new full-auto's was banned. As a result, the ones in civilian hands before 1986 have sky rocketed in value. In the last 3 years, Uzi SMG'g and Colt M-16's have nearly doubled in price.

In 1985, you could buy a factory Colt M-16 for ~$900~$1100. Today that are well over $20K.

10. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Would love to own a American 180. Loading those drums with tiny 22LR shells might be a bit of a pain for a couple minutes of bang bang. These guns are real pricey now.

11. bradpierson26

bradpierson26

Aug 7, 2008
    Red Jacket guys are bona fide window lickers. American 180s would suck in semi.
    And titanium was a poor choice for that high heat application.

12. Sid Post

Sid Post

Oct 14, 1998
    Keep in mind their "mall ninja" viewers. It's not about practicality, it's about marketing and attracting viewers that will never experience the NFA world except through video games.

13. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    I think, just like most full auto guns, they have magazine loading tools to help

I saw a price of 7500 on a post 86 dealers sample, fully transferable have to be pricier.

drums, loaders, accessories would affect pricing

I have lust in my heart for one of those, but stupid laws stop that.

Plastic drums though, be nice to make up some new ones if you had that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFuuU21cCyc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rfJy4exPFE

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  14. Gavin S.

Gavin S.

Apr 9, 2009
    I bought a Red Jacket SBR before that show aired. I probably would not have bought it if I'd seen the show first. It's still a pretty cool rifle, moronicness of the company aside.

[​IMG]

15. bradpierson26

bradpierson26

Aug 7, 2008
    100% Spot on