REKAT Fang Review

I haven't had this knife for long, but it's a small knife, so it didn't take long to get a decent impression of it...;-) Let's start with a general description...
The knife is small with maybe a 3" blade and probably just over a 3" handle. If you want exact specs you can go to <a href = "http://www.rekat.com"> REKAT's website</a>. The handle is reminiscent of Fred Perrin's (or Emerson's) LaGriffe, but without the finger hole and it doesn't drop quite as much. It's basically a compromise between the gun-style handle and a regular shaped knife grip. There are five evenly spaced countersunk holes in the handle for lightness, I assume, and there are also shallow finger notches present. The blade seems to be a miniature version of the Swept-Point Pioneer that REKAT makes and the tip looks quite strong. It's almost full thickness. The shape gives quite a lot of belly for a blade of that size, which is cool. It appears to be hollow ground, and the REKAT logo is nicely stamped in. I assume mine is 1095 steel, although some were made in ATS-34 (wouldn't that be lucky!?). The entire knife (minus the edge of course) is coated in Black T, a Teflon coating. It is much
nicer than what I expected, and is definitely higher class than the epoxy powder coat found on knives like Ontario's Spec-Plus line. It is very uniform, has smooth feel, and is matte for less reflection. Who knows about durability? There are a few spots where the coating has been worn off by the Kydex sheath, and it doesn't seem like the knife has seen much use, so...let's move onto the sheath.
Being a maker of Kydex sheaths myself, I liked REKAT's design. It is thin and well though out for belt carry (horizontal) and neck carry. The hardware holding it together seems to be of sturdy quality. The belt loop itself is a novel approach I'd never thought of, much in design like a pager clip. Allos you to take it on and off your belt without undoing your belt and threading it on. That said, the sheath is fairly loose and the knife rattles noticeable inside. The retention is good, but that rattle could've been reduced altogether.
The knife itself is thin (no measuring tools, but probably 1/8"?). This thinness, plus the fact that there are no handle scales, makes for an uncomfortable knife to hold. It is simply too thin to have much of a grip on it. Of course, this knife is intended as a "last-ditch" or backup knife, so it need not be a comfy all-day user. If that's what you want, then buy a knife that doesn't have this purpose! Also, I fell that the handle would've benefitted from another 3/4" in the handle length. I have a 1/4" thick Perkins Scaetha with a 3" handle that is plenty to grab onto, but without the added thickness of the handle, it feels a bit uneasy on the Fang. The shape of the handle does a nice job of bringing the blade into a good slashing position, and the dropped design probably puts a little extra power behind the defender's moves. The knife has a nice edge and is well-made, for the most part.
For its purposes, the Fang is a great knife. It is not a utility tool, and therefore has none of the same design principles as one would have. This is a knife meant for concealment, and it does this well. It is simple but well thought out, and well made. Now that they are not being produced anymore, I am proud to own one! Hopefully I won't have the chance to use it much! ;-)

------------------
My Custom Kydex Sheath pagehttp://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/knifehome.html
Palmer College of Chiropractic
On Two Wheels

Have both ats34 and 1095 blades. My main complaint was sharpening. The ats34 was so hard to sharpen and dull when it came I put it in the tool box and forgot about it. With the edge pro sharpener, and a new bevel, they are both hair popping sharp. The black has not worn off the blade in about 6 months on the 1095.
I atlernate carry when I am in the field. Wouldn't sell or trade them. Too bad they stopped making these knives. However, they should last a life time.
Good review, Chiro.
Jim

Chiro75,

I just received my REKAT Fang on Monday and I like the shape of it better than the Utility.
The shape is very similar to the swept point design on the Pioneer. I wouldn't hesistate to use it to open up a deer in the field: blade is nice and short so you lessen the chance of puncturing the inards and tainting the meat. I use my pointing finger on top of the blade to help guide it. The curved handle is a natural hand, and wrist position.
Given the choice of the Fang or the Utility, I would take the Fang. It really comes down to what you intend to use if for. You can't go wrong with either knife and for what it costs you can buy both
smile.gif

Hey...if you want to carry both at once I could make a cool side-by-side sheath for ya, too! :) One thing to add to my review: I used some regular paracord I had and did a handle wrap sorta thing and that aided the grip of the knife a hundred percent. I wrapped the paracord in a pattern threading it from the holes to the edge of the tang and back again (tough to describe w/o seeing it). I tried just wrapping it around the handle, but the finger grooves are too uneven to get a good wrap. I didn't leave the handle wrapped as I didn't like my knot at the end and it doesn add to the "signature" of the knife under clothing, but for grip's sake it was a huge difference.
One other thing: I've been wearing the knife under a thin button-down short-sleeve summer shirt that has a small plaid pattern and the knife is absolutely invisible! Too cool! Only way I could detect it while looking in the mirror was to turn 45 degrees to the side (like you are taking a cervical RAO, if you know about x-rays! ;-) and put my hands over my head and stretched. When i did that the material of my shirt pulled up around the handle and it was noticeable then as the material was sliding over it. Cool knife. I guess Bob Taylor is talking to BF about doing a special edition of the knives in NATO green.
Some of the current REKAT stock is available in NATO green, and I think pvknives had some, maybe? Anyway, the NATO green is the same as Black T, but it has a negative IR signature and is used for sniper rifles and the like in the military. Cool, huh?

------------------
My Custom Kydex Sheath pagehttp://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/knifehome.html
On Two Wheels

Chiro75,

One project at a time.....LOL. The Nato green Utility I have reminded me of the time I was in college and just got a new pair of green camo compact binoculars: I had them for may be a week and I was out doing some telemetry work for a class and had the binocs in my front pocket. As fate had it, you guessed it, the binocs fell out of my pocket from all the crouching and crawling around
frown.gif

I back tracked several times kicking the leaves around and eventually found them days later
smile.gif
Camo stuff looks cool UNTIL you drop it on the ground! After that I used red flagging tape on all of the things I had so I could recover it easier. Red of course has its drawbacks - it blends in real well in the Fall
frown.gif
LOL. I think I need things with cords attached to them. I have never lost a knife YET (knock on wood!).

The Fang in Nato sniper green would be WAY COOL looking.
smile.gif

Nope! It's almost the opposite, actually. Maybe they used the swept point with the dropped handle to bring the point back into a neutral position. On a straight blade with that handle configuration it seems there would've been too little belly exposed for usable cutting. The handle shape seems to prevent the hand from sliding forward like it would on a straight handle, and to accommodate for the strange geometry, REKAT put an equally strange blade on it. End result is a well-balanced knife that I think has a lot more to it than first glance.

------------------
On Two Wheels

Hey Chiro, you said:

I wrapped the paracord in a pattern threading it from the holes to the edge of the tang and back again (tough to describe w/o seeing it). I tried just wrapping it around the handle, but the finger grooves are too uneven to get a good wrap.

You're right, it is tough to describe or to visualize. Do you mean you wrapped in a figure 8 using the holes as the crossover points? If so, how well did that work for the regions between the holes?

------------------
Paul Neubauer
prn@bsu.edu

Nope. Here's what I did:
1) Thread the paracord through the last hole (furtest away from the handle), then wrap it around the top border between the hole and edge of the tang.
2) Now wrap the cord back through this same hole, and back out and round the top border of the tang.
3) Do this once more, and then instead of threading the cord back through the same hole, jump to the next one closest to the blade.

Now you should have three wraps along the top part of the first hole. Do the same steaps all the way up to the fourth hole. If you do the hole closest to the blade, you won't be able to get the knife into the sheath. Anyway, once you get to the fourth hole, move the cord to the bottom part of the tang and do the exact same thing, except using two wraps per hole instead of three. When you get to the end you should have three wraps of cord on the top of each hole and two wraps of cord on the bottom of each. Tie the end off however you like. It isn't the prettiest thing in the world, but it is comforatble, and I wouldn't say it looks bad. Different, but functional. Plus if you ever need a bunch of paracord, then you have it! ;-()

------------------
On Two Wheels

If you wrap with a thin cord like mason's cord or 550 cord with the core removed you can add some texture without adding much thickness.

-Cougar Allen :{)

After another day with this knife, I must say it is really starting to grow on me. Edge is GREAT, I LOVE the blade shape, and even the handle doesn't seem too bad now. I love the low-profile sheath, too, and despite it's looseness the retention is damn near perfect. It has me drooling for a Pioneer with a swept point, now! LOVE that blade! Get one of these while you still can, and keep your fingers crossed for a NATO green BF version! Woohoo!

------------------
On Two Wheels

Does anyone have any pics of the Fang other than what can found at the REKAT and PVKNIFE website? Thanks.

------------------
Shawn
"Earth has its boundaries, but human stupidity is limitless."

I've had a Fang for over a year & it's been part of my daily carry except when I expect to enter restricted areas (i.e., airports, gov. bldgs., etc.). I tried a few different handle wrapping/coating methods until I finally came up with one I love.

I took heavy black nylon boot lace and first simply wrapped the lace to determine how long a piece I would need. After cutting to size, I then melted and flared each end by pressing it against a flat piece of metal. This is important because my wrap uses no knots.

I started by placing just one end of the lace in the second hole back from the blade. I then made two turns around the handle, trapping the flared end in the hole, and clamped these wraps in place. To hold things in place better for the rest of the wrap, I put a couple of drops of Crazy Glue where the wrap first crossed over the tucked-in end.

After waiting a bit, I removed the clamp and wrapped as tightly as I could just up to the second hole from the end. Here I put a loop of strong cord (Masons' cord would work) through the hole and out to the end of the handle. I finished wrapping just past the the second hole from the end with the boot lace, put the end of the lace through the loop I had created, and used the loop to pull the lace back under the wrap into that second hole.

At this point I had a tight, 2 1/2", wrap with no gaps or bulky knots. Once I was satisfied with the wrap itself, I followed the cord wrapping recommendations that RJ Martin had posted a while back (thanks RJ), excerpted here:
1) get some GOOD clear epoxy, slow set.
2) mix it up, really well in a cheap plastic cup. I mix up probably an ounce at a time-depends on the size, of course.
3) warm it up with a heat gun-easy does it.
4) get a 10 cent "acid solder brush", sold for abour $14 a gross.
5) Use the brush to slobber the epoxy all over your handle.
6) Work it in well with the brush.
7) Add more epoxy, or wipe away with a dry brush, until it is even all over and as "wet" as you would like it.
8) let it dry horizontally-watch for pooling, bubbles or "sags" and stray brush hairs
The finished product is a durable, textured, handle that is both very comfortable and secure in the hand. I tried a scan, but you can't see the detail. I'll add it to the list of things to photograph when I have time to play with my digital camera. Try it. I think you'll like it.

------------------
Cheers,

--+Brian+--

I have found the best grip for my average sized hands is by canting the top of the blade about45 degrees to the right (I am right handed).This allows you to place your thumb over the first hole in the grip, and provides a secure hold for most uses.I have a Utility on order, but the Fang does grow on you!

Chiro,

Thanks for your fine review.

Gonesailing,

How does one differentiate between the ats-34 Rekat Utilities and the 1095 carbon ones? TIA

Stay safe and all the best, Phil <-----------<

Back