REKAT SIFU

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews & Testing Archive' started by Vet95LT1, Apr 13, 2001.

1. Vet95LT1

Vet95LT1 Banned BANNED

Jan 31, 2001
    just got my REKAT SIFU forum special edition w/black blade, # 24/75 - well when i got it it wasnt THAT sharp, but a little work w/my old DMT and steel fixed that in less than 5 - dont really understand how the rolling lock works, but certainly seems sturdy enough IMHO - believe me it is a large, heavy knife - makes my BM AFCK, and actually my CS Gunsite 11 look anemic - and really makes the CS look CHEAP - the CS isnt much smaller, but it sure FEELS that way - have been carrying it biking, driving a car, etc w/no probs - i am used to carrying the gunsite though so that hekps - have been carrying in my right front jeans pocket, or stuck IWB in my biking shorts on the right side w/no problems - IMHO if ya live in an area were they are legal, and have been worrying about carrying 1, DONT - not that big of a deal - also carry my matriarch in a belt sheath on the right side - as far as flicking the SIFU open i find i have to push the button forward, and release it quickly, or it has a tendency to bounce back on me - not cool - is this typical, or will it loosen up some w/use?

to close i really like this knife - am impressed w/the fitting, etc - had read that REKAT had some QC probs, either i got lucky or they are solved as #24 looks very good, certainly comparable to, and in some things superior to my other knives which include MOD, Cold Steel, Emerson, Spyderco, Benchmade, etc - if ya live in an area were ya can utilise this knife, or if ya just need a 'magnum' folder, give this 1 a look - my only caveat is that i really like the smooth handles vs the grooved ones, i really wanted carbon fibre handles, but cant have both - and there are, for now anyway, only a finite # of smooth handled ones available so if ya want 1 ya better jump on it - go to www.1sks.com, $149 for the stone wash blade, $159.00 for the black - i wanted to buy the biggest legal folder, in my state (tx) and i got it - cons? maybe could use a thong hole, instructions would be nice (or some kind of paperwork) make a smooth handled version std and lighten it up, and sell w/a belt sheath - just my .05 worth - 1 helluva knife ....

vet

2. Full Tang Clan

Full Tang Clan

Jul 22, 2000
    Your sentiments echo my review exactly. I know there are other "megafolders" out there like the CS large Voyager, but even the look of the REKAT Sifu stands out above the rest.

As far as design goes: D-2 + G-10 + rolling lock = formidable knife.

Ditto on my opinion on the fit. I've read about REKAT QC problems too, but I just don't see or feel it! Sure, it's no "art knife" but it's solid. Boy, is it solid!

3. glockman99

glockman99 Super Moderator Super Mod

Jun 12, 2000
    Vet95LT1,

When you get tired of the SIFU, I have a Cold Steel Vaquero Grande that is even BIGGER than the SIFU. (...Ya know...The "thing" that Texans have about "bigger"), that I'd be willing to trade with you. [​IMG].

------------------
    Dann Fassnacht
    Aberdeen, WA
    [email protected]
    ICQ# 53675663

4. toothed

toothed

Nov 7, 2000
    I have both the SE Sifu and an XL Gunsite. I wouldn't write off the Gunsite yet. If a situation arised where I needed a large, lightweight folder, the Gunsite would be my choice (e.g., bicycling, jogging, etc.).
    Although the Gunsite is lightweight, I have confidence that it is tough enough to do whatever job I put it through. Don't get me wrong, I love the Sifu but it can be too heavy to carry at times. I guess that's why we own so many knives.

5. Vet95LT1

Vet95LT1 Banned BANNED

Jan 31, 2001
    hey toothe know whta ya mean - i wont be getting rid of my CS anytime soon - my wife thinks i'm nuts carrying 2 or 3 knives at a time though lol.............