Replacement knife or cash

I was wondering if any member has managed to get a replacement knife - fixed blade or folder or the $$$ cash , to make up for a colleague or co-worker/ friend who damaged, broke, abused your knife that you loaned to them , or that they borrowed ?

Reading some of the tales in this site ,of idiots who use knives inappropriately , thus damaging them beyond repair.
If they are repairable , it will take YOU for ever to correct the misuse.

It makes me mad to hear of these incidents , and the abuser, says 'sorry' or just shrugs their shoulders!
I cant see that these idiots could resharpen a blade or even repair one.

You tell them that the cost of a new one is tens of dollars - at least , and the pathetic response is - I would not buy a knife that cost $$$ , They got theirs , if they carry one - from the local hardware store or supermarket.

Has anyone lost friends over this action. Has anyone got full reimbursement?

I don't lend anyone my knives, tools or wife.

Certain knives of mine will only go in someone else's hand in an emergency. I usually carry a good blade, but one that wouldn't anger me too badly if it broke. Glad I've never been in this dilemma. I think I've prevented it by sometimes making cuts for people instead of always handing them the knife.

Thanks clovehitch

Reading some sad tales here , it shows that we want to be helpful to others , but we may not carry a junk knife for use by an inexperienced person , let alone know what they are going to do with it.

I agree that you could always do the task for them. Other times , you choose to say no.
Yes we carry knives . Surely the time comes when you ask them , why don't you carry a knife?
Would they ruin one of their own knives ??

Dunno , but worth a conversation!

There are some real idiots out there, I'm extremely choosey who gets to use my knife. Overall I say don't lend it out.

Hmmm.

For me, knives are equal part hobby and tool. I use mine every day, but I also fall prey to the more 'man-jewelry' side of certain brands. From that perspective, I would never lose a friend over them destroying a knife unless it was in the process of harming another with intent. I may tell them they're dumb, and if they feel bad I'll help them learn proper usage, but it's just an object and I dont think it's ever proper to lose a friend over material things. Now if someone lied about what their intent was, or took it off my person somehow.... well that's basucally theft and I wouldnt be friends with someone like that anway.

As clove alluded to, I really just blame myself if someone damages one of my knives. After all, I gave it to them.

Same as loaning your garage tools to your neighbours. If the tool is damaged, will you ask for replacement or $? Or will they ofeer in the first place?

In my case, all my neighbours are great people, so I loan my tools to them without a second thought. In the unlikely case that a tool is damage, it would be totally cool. No replacement or $ needed, even though I am sure the neighbour will offer.

Loan your knives to ONLY good friends that you can trust and who if damage your knife by accident, you are still cool with, compensation or not.

Equate it to something they are familiar with.

If they like cars, ask them who would pay for the new clutch if you borrowed his car then burned it up?

If they like fashion, ask them who would pay for the dry cleaning if you borrowed a cashmere sweater then dirtied it?

Make it relatable and tell them that they damaged it, they should pay for the repair.
I haven't lost contact with a responsible adult so long as I was acting like one as well.

I have loaned out my knife quite often at work.Never had one returned damaged.

To reduce the " Hey Todd, can I borrow your knife" requests I have given away knives I seldom carry.

Last edited:
I don't lend out my knives, so I can't say from experience, but can base it on other tool lending. I think it is all going to come down to who you lend it too. A stand up guy will take on responsibility for damage of any tool they borrow. Others will just blow it off. The 2nd is also more likely to damage it in the 1st place.

I think one of my friends still owes me a replacement for my BM Spike he broke 20 years ago. If it hadn't been that he was stabbing pillows on a concrete floor and a legit accident it would have been fine but F him for snapping my first nice knife because alcohol is so awesome.

busse knives is what you want. most other makers won't warranty that.

zt, benchmade and a few others have a fee for blade replacements... if they are still in production.

There are very few who I will let borrow anything.
If you let someone borrow something, don’t expect to get it back or have it replaced when broken.

When someone says to me "Can I see your knife?" I say "What do you need done?" and do it for them. This applies even to my wife. No one uses my knives but me, same as when I worked as a chef.

My feeling about loaning "anything" especially money is, if I wouldn't give it to you if you needed it then I won't loan it to you. ;)

There are friends I won't loan my knife to ... and some I may ask what they want to borrow it for ... but those are the minority ... I think most of my friends would cover any damage or loss they caused ... most are familiar with knives and love the outdoors as much as I do ... so they know how to use a knife ...

But if one damaged my knife ... as mentioned above I may tell them I'm angry and even use a few choice words ... but I would never lose a friendship over a knife or any material object. ...

it's kind of like if your wife or girlfriend borrowed your truck and was in an accident and you got a phone call telling you such ... would your first question be ... omg how bad is my truck? ... or would it be is she ok? ... the truck is an object it can be replaced ... she can't ... nor can a good friendship.

Last edited:
I don't lend my knives (or ax, for that matter) to anyone. If they don't have one of their own they can use their teeth.

Folks

Thanks for your kind words.

Yes I now realise that a knife can be replaced.
Good friends will offer a replacement, and if I offered them the knife in the first place - then it my fault.
Yes I have to choose to whom I will lend my knife.
Phew! I feel better now.

My feeling about loaning "anything" especially money is, if I wouldn't give it to you if you needed it then I won't loan it to you. ;)
This is certainly true about money, where a loan is often the same as a gift. Not so much with knives, although loaning knives is often a bad idea.

The friends, or family I lend my knives to wouldn’t have to be asked to do the right thing.
Anyone else doesn’t get my knife.
Same thing with my tools......I feed my kids with them. Please don’t ask to borrow them.
Joe

Back