Photos Respect the MOAB (Warning - Graphic)

Had a couple of mates over for a feast, fire and knifey chop chop session on the weekend. Had a great time! Lot's of big blade batoning. A MOABOLO gets a pounding...

tumblr_otzbdopggR1siuc9oo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_otzbdopggR1siuc9oo2_1280.jpg

We roasted up a bunch of lamb shanks and veges in the camp oven. Oh my, it was arguably the best roast I've ever made. Nom.

tumblr_otzbdopggR1siuc9oo3_1280.jpg

This right here is a coulpe of veges with the red wine gravy we made in the delicious juices in the pot. Gold. Pure gold.

tumblr_otzbdopggR1siuc9oo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_otzbdopggR1siuc9oo4_1280.jpg

During the evening a small mishap occured. One of my visitors was using my MOAB to chop up some firewood and the blade glanced off at an angle and lightly tapped his forefinger on his left hand. We didn't think too much of it at the time other than getting the cut clean and bandaged up so we could continue on with our shenanigans (sitting around the fire talking bs).

tumblr_otzbdopggR1siuc9oo6_1280.jpg

Well, after a check up at the doctor the next day, it was revealed that the cut was a lot worse than we thought. Tendons severed. Bone exposed. Surgery required. YIKES!!!

tumblr_otzbdopggR1siuc9oo8_1280.jpg

Temporary stitch up before surgery.

tumblr_otzbdopggR1siuc9oo9_1280.jpg

After surgery. Get well soon mate :/

tumblr_otzbdopggR1siuc9oo10_1280.jpg

MOAB: 1
Finger: 0

tumblr_otzbdopggR1siuc9oo7_1280.jpg

Last edited:
That's a good cut. Hope he heal's fast.

Thank ya for the pic's.

Here's to a speedy recovery for your friend.

Great pics , thanks for posting them

You should have your MOAB checked out. If it were working properly, it would have lopped off his hand . Glad to see he got patched up. You guys sure know how to have fun. Always dig the pictures you post.

Everyone knows what a solid whack with a big blade will do but you just can't appreciate what a big sharp blade can do until it lightly kisses you. Bad to the bone for sure. Scars are better than tattoos anyway. Hope it heals fast and fully!

Wow--glad nothing worse came of it. Big, heavy, and sharp can do serious damage, quick. Heal quick and well!!!

As coach used to say, "Rub some dirt in it and walk it off.":D

Seriously, hope the finger heals up soon with no ill effects.;)

Could have been worse Robbo, could've happened here in the occupied zone and you'd be hiring a bunch of attorneys to work out a settlement that didn't hurt 10x's worse.:rolleyes:

Three handsome gents there. Lazyboy is looking particularly enthusiastic eating that lamb shank :eek:
Thanks for another great time Rob. Serious shame about the injury though. We will use nothing bigger than an AMS for chopping next time.

Chris.

Well at least he didn't cut it off, hope he heals up quickly. You know if you play with sharp objects long enough eventually your going to get cut. Just ask me how I know.:D

With the momentum that beasts gains, and how sharp you keep that thing (see tomato video), he's lucky it was only that deep!

OUCH!!!
I hope your Mate recovers quickly Rob!

Good thing she wasn't very hungry or she'd have taken the leg too! ;)

Ouch, hope theres no permanent damage.
Next thing you know Busse blades will come with a big ole Warning stamp on a side of it, with all kinds of Cautions lol

Ever notice how during chopping competitions the competitors put their off-hand in their back pocket or behind their back?

yup...

It's a sobering reminder that we've all be bit a time or ten. It's very humbling. Hope there's no lasting nerve or connective tissue damage.

Back