Right handers carrying left handed knives and vice versa.

So who carries a off-handed knife to use when your other hand is full?

To me this makes total sense.

Caller, what are your thoughts?

------------------
Marion David Poff aka Eye, one can msg me at mdpoff@hotmail.com If I fail to check back with this thread and you want some info, email me.

Check out my review of the Kasper AFCK, thougths on the AFCK and interview of Bob Kasper. http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Meadows/1770/kasperafck.html

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Meadows/1770/index.html

I do this. It started out mainly as adaptation to a right handed world. Now I am used to it and do not like to carry my left handed knives, at least not in my pockets. I also found that my duty rig and holster would block my access to a knife carried in my left pocket. Carrying a right handed knife makes perfect sense to me too.

As a left handed person in a right handed world, I have developed right handed skills.
I consider people who believe in handedness handicapped.
Many tools designed by right handed people for right handed people actually work better for left handed people.
It saddens me when I encounter left handed people who have given up their birthright and bought into the right handed myth of handedness.
I encourage my sons to learn new skills with their "off" hand first, so they will not buy into the lie.
Despite their successes and the ease with which they learn new skills in this manner, it take constant reminding.
I now regret not having any right handed holsters.
The Marine Corps taught me to shoot right handed, and if makes no difference.
I should carry right handed on a regular basis.
I do it with my knives, although they do feel awkward in my right hand.

I am lefthanded, however, I can do a lot of right handed tasks because I was forced to do so as a child. I write righty, and draw lefty (?!). I started to carry one full plain knife (lefty), and one full serrated (righty). Most initial reaction is to use my leftside first, but if I can't I can use my righty knife
smile.gif

When I hunt, I shoot lefty, but initially learned to shoot righty. I have had to shoot offside once since from one angle, I couldn't shoot because of a tree - switch rifle to otherhand, and I had food in the freezer
smile.gif
I carry my hunting knives ONLY on my right side so I don't snag my firearm with when I walkin aroung. I had scratched up one stock real bad from the edge of my knife. Live and learn.

We were given two hands, so it makes perfect sense to use BOTH, and not just ONE for a certain task
smile.gif
. This can be impossible in a righty world - for example sissors, or a right handed grip on a pistol
frown.gif

This is a reason why a lot of lefties are ambidexterous
smile.gif
. Go with the flow, or drown. Lefties have always been considered 'sinister'
frown.gif
. People look at you funny because you hold your pen funny, or may be it is because you are writing in the wrong direction?! LOL
smile.gif

Ray 'md2020'

I am right handed but carry my primary knife in the left front pocket clipped. Use my delica as a money clip and it will bang against a knife clipped on the right one. Many times the sebenza is carried on the right side IWB and only used for certain tasks. The left handed knives are used mostly.
Works for me.
smile.gif

Jim

------------------
What? Another knife? Don't you have enough of those things already?
How many does one person need?
And just what are you going to do with this one that you can't do with the others?
What is the purpose of all these knives anyhow??

Carrying a blade on the weakhand side is tactically a good idea if you are carrying a handgun. If someone grabs for your handgun you can lock down the firearm in the holster with the strong hand and draw the knife weak hand(carving as needed) thus discouraging the attemped disarm.

------------------
Ray Carr

im a righty but ive been carrying a spyderco delica for my offhand for about a year. I initially got it because i got sick of trying to get at my right hand knife with my left hand when holding something with my right.
its also usually sharper, since i use it less often then my right-hander.

I also use it as a lender, or a backup when i forget my dominant-hand folder(not often)

I will often carry a knife on my "weak" side, but it is never a "left specific" knife. That is one reason I like an ambidextrous thumb stud on my working knives.

------------------
James

Like some of the others, I'm a lefty whose's learn right-hand tricks. My primary carry is a (RH) Commander (because of the wave feature) which I carry on left front and drawn into a reverse grip.

My primary right side knife varies: the Emerson CQC7 tanto is a favorite because it's an easy opening RH blade.

I use the Spyde Moran fixed blade in either a cross-draw (on right side) or small of back, handle-to-left, style. In extreme cases, I'll carry a CS Recon Scout on right side, handle down, in a modified under-the-arm sheath.

I also try to rotate certain knives,including a lefty-modified EDI Genesis, the Spyde Goddard Lightweight, BF Native and (soon) the Sifu.

Oh, let's not forget the ever present SAK, on right side of course!
wink.gif

------------------
Life is a journey, not a guided tour -- GO ARMED!
-->BLADE

[This message has been edited by Blade (edited 26 August 1999).]

I am right dominant, but ever since I started juggling, I have been more and more ambidextrous.

Of course training both sides equally in martial craft certainly helps.

But it makes sense to have a left knife to cut something that is in the right hand and vice versa.

Besides, great excuse for more knives.

------------------
Marion David Poff aka Eye, one can msg me at mdpoff@hotmail.com If I fail to check back with this thread and you want some info, email me.

Check out my review of the Kasper AFCK, thougths on the AFCK and interview of Bob Kasper. http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Meadows/1770/kasperafck.html

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Meadows/1770/index.html

Most every chisel ground knife out there today (chief offender - CQC7) is a "left-handed" knife in a right handed format.

You know what I can't figure out? Why is the typical magazine release is on the left side of a pistol? It's so much harder to release if you're holding it right-handed. Vice versa for the left hand with left-handed pistols (there's a novelty).

I don't yet carry two, but after seeing an article by Mike Janich in a 'Combat Knives' magazine, that's my next goal in purchasing. The right will be a plain edge blade. And the left-handed (or 'weak-handed') blade will be fully serrated. That way, not only do I have a blade for each hand, but I always have a plain and serrated blade close at hand (whether left or right!
wink.gif
).

------------------
Cutting through all the muck,
we get to what's really important.

John 3:3-7

God Bless You!

I don't yet carry a 'weak-hand' blade. But after reading an article by Mike Janich in 'Combat Knives' [thanks, Jess!], that is my next purchasing goal. And I plan on my right ('strong') hand blade being a plain edge, and my left hand blade being a fully serrated blade.

------------------
Cutting through all the muck,
we get to what's really important.

John 3:3-7

God Bless You!

SB,

You are suppose to use your thumb to eject the mags
smile.gif
. If the release were on the righhand side it would cause you to remove your fingers off of the trigger therefor making you even slower to load a new mag. Since I am lefty, I have to use my pointing finger to eject my .45 mags, causing me to lose valuable time especially if I am shooting plates
frown.gif
. Be happy if you are righty shooting a semi-auto, bummer if you are a lefty
frown.gif

Ray 'md2020'

Because of an old injury, I, a right handed fellow, am going to have to learn a left handed opening style. Am awaiting an ambi stud being placed on my knive now, have tried it a few times on a smaller knife.
It is @#$% difficult for an old man.
I admire ambidextrous abilities some people have. My grandfather had that ability, and I am married to a "lefty" who has developed that quality. Easier than it looks!
But yeah, I intend to carry on left side too.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Interesting question, MDP.
It came to my mind when I bought BM Emerson CQC7 tanto. It is meant for right handed users but when I cut I hold it in my left hand. And the blade seems to be built that way. When I hold it in my right hand the blade shape seems to be inappropriate. Does it mean that the flat side of that paricular chisel blade is on the wrong side??
David

I am left handed as well and until fairly recently carried a right handed AFCK in my left hip pocket. Even though I am left handed I have trained myself from childhood to fire a handgun (except a SAA) in my right hand. I know, Children aren't supposed to play with guns but it was a different world back then. In those days, at least around here ambidextrous guns were unheard of then, as were left handed holsters. A single action army I do shoot left handed. I figure that sense it was designed to use left handed I might as well take advantage of it.

Generally, I can open a right hand specific folder like a BM Spike, or Leopard Cub in my left hand as fast or faster than a right handed person can. I put the tip of my middle finger on the stud, and flick my wrist. The knife is open. I have also learned to pivot the blade open slowly with the tip of my index finger when I do not wish to attract attention.

Some one once gave me a pair of left handed scissors. If that is what using scissors is like if you are right handed I'm glad I'm left handed. It also occurs to me that the common skill saw is really designed for the left hand. I guess I have always thought of being left handed as an advantage rather than not. As a mater of fact the only two things that drive me crazy are automatic coffee makers which are all right handed.
smile.gif
and the little ladles that you find in the salad dressing at restaurants that have a spout on the left side. Try to use one of those in your left hand. As to being an advantage, I have found that playing tennis against right handed players I have a real advantage. They see the spin coming, but misjudge how it will bounce. I have been able to beat players (or at least keep up with players who are better than I am because of this. I also found it to be an advantage in fencing in college.

As noted in another topic, I flirted with carrying a knife in my right front pocket, but have given it up for the time being.

I am a lefty, but have a concealed carry permit and usually have a small pistol in my left pocket.So I carry knives righty as a back-up and to keep the mass distributed.We are creatures of habit.Once I got used to righty carry,it seems perfectly natural.It sure opens up the options of knives available,too.
David

AKTI#150

Back