Russell Green River Works cleaver

cobrajet

Gold Member
I got this from my dad this Christmas. It was left in the house my grandparents bought in the early 60's. It's the 8". We're guessing it's from the 20's. Any info would be great. Thanks20201228_134242.jpg20201228_134927.jpg

That looks familiar.

Green River has a long history of knife production. You are in for a fun time with your research.

Don't have any Russell blades, but patent date of that trademark is March 1st 1920. And they merged with dexter in 1933(not sure if trademark was changed). So, I'd say you're correct on the timeframe(probably pushing late 20s).
image.php

How thick is the tang? Sort of reminds me of my Briddell. Surprised the spine hasn't been hammered on like most are.

Last edited:
The tang starts off at 5/16 then down to 1/16. Is it 1095? Does it have any value?
20201228_214002.jpg

Value wise, I'd say around $40ish. Looking at it more, it appears someone buffed the blade with something(sanding disc?) Seems like the people who buy these old cleavers now just want something to hang up in their kitchen, and a visible clean logo is always a selling point. I've got 7 cleavers and haven't had a need for a single one.

Cultures that do whole hog pit cooking always want a big cleaver. Hunters do also sometimes. Nothing in the grocery store needs my 3 lb Lamson Mohawk.

Back