Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Cpm154

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
dateposted-public
dateposted-public
Hi guys I am a young knife designer from México and I was thinking if you could give me your opinion of one of my designs, the mercenary, I want to create a kickstarter campaign to produce it but first I would like to know what do you think about it.

It is designed to be a combat/tactical knife it has a penetrating tip to pierce thick fabrics and soft armor, has a recurve edge to enhance its cutting capabilities on tough materials found on the battlefield as tires and thick nylon and it is fulltang to provide superior strength, in case of need it can become a survival knife so that its carrier can get back to safety, it can do batoning and everything necessary in a survival situation easily.
it has a slight belly in the handle to help the user identify where the edge is located in low light conditions and the guard is tilted forward to allow a saber grip for combat. The skull crusher at the end of the handle is to break windows or smash things and to have a non lethal option.

I was thinking of offering two possible options, the standard handforged in 5160 and the premium handmade in cpm154 which one do you think would be better?

dateposted-public
dateposted-public
Hi guys I am a young knife designer from México and I was thinking if you could give me your opinion of one of my designs, the mercenary, I want to create a kickstarter campaign to produce it but first I would like to know what do you think about it.

It is designed to be a combat/tactical knife it has a penetrating tip to pierce thick fabrics and soft armor, has a recurve edge to enhance its cutting capabilities on tough materials found on the battlefield as tires and thick nylon and it is fulltang to provide superior strength, in case of need it can become a survival knife so that its carrier can get back to safety, it can do batoning and everything necessary in a survival situation easily.
it has a slight belly in the handle to help the user identify where the edge is located in low light conditions and the guard is tilted forward to allow a saber grip for combat. The skull crusher at the end of the handle is to break windows or smash things and to have a non lethal option.

I was thinking of offering two possible options, the standard handforged in 5160 and the premium handmade in cpm154 which one do you think would be better?

I personally think for a knife like this which is designed for some heavier duty uses 5160 is better. Even better than 5160 would be 3v in my opinion. Cpm154 is one of my all time favourite steels and is quite tough forna stainless...but for the roles this knife is designed for carbon steel is better.

I like the way you kept the tip in line where the blade is the thickest. However I honestly think the whole unbreakable battlefield combat/utility/survival knife thing is largely a myth. Most soldiers are carrying enough weight and won’t carry something that heavy. There just isn’t enough times a soldier needs a blade like this to justify the weight.

That said it is a cool knife.

Edit to add: oh I also think a recurve is not the best idea on a knife that is supposed to be in the field for extended periods. It won’t make cutting easier because recurves are harder to sharpen especially with stones one will have in the field. Rather the recurve will become a dull section that cuts worse.

agree with 3v as a more optimal steel. but of the two 5160 as this appears to be more geared towards heavy use...ie chopping, vice slicing.

dateposted-public
dateposted-public

¿De qué parte de México eres wey? Are you sure you can produce that? In Baja California where I lived last it was illegal for anyone to fabricate "weapons" and/or accumulate them.

Have you seen the page mexicoarmado that has a knife forum?

As far as your question is concerned... I've only seen 154CM in smaller knives. Not sure how it would perform in a larger fixed blade. Probably 5160 would be better.

I personally think for a knife like this which is designed for some heavier duty uses 5160 is better. Even better than 5160 would be 3v in my opinion. Cpm154 is one of my all time favourite steels and is quite tough forna stainless...but for the roles this knife is designed for carbon steel is better.

I like the way you kept the tip in line where the blade is the thickest. However I honestly think the whole unbreakable battlefield combat/utility/survival knife thing is largely a myth. Most soldiers are carrying enough weight and won’t carry something that heavy. There just isn’t enough times a soldier needs a blade like this to justify the weight.

That said it is a cool knife.

Edit to add: oh I also think a recurve is not the best idea on a knife that is supposed to be in the field for extended periods. It won’t make cutting easier because recurves are harder to sharpen especially with stones one will have in the field. Rather the recurve will become a dull section that cuts worse.
Thanks for your comment I really appreciate it, yeah I know its hard for a knife to be everything but this was my take on a combat knife I also have one called the piranha and it has a straight edge that one is indeed more of a combat/survival knife, about the weight this knives hardly weigth more than a kabar I really put attention in this because I know its crucial

¿De qué parte de México eres wey? Are you sure you can produce that? In Baja California where I lived last it was illegal for anyone to fabricate "weapons" and/or accumulate them.

Have you seen the page mexicoarmado that has a knife forum?

As far as your question is concerned... I've only seen 154CM in smaller knives. Not sure how it would perform in a larger fixed blade. Probably 5160 would be better.

Yeah its totally legal because a knife is not considered a weapon, and yes I’m an active member in mexico armado, thanks a lot for your answer and your concern!

I like the design, and in general, 5160 would likely fits a larger, hard-use knife better than 154; heat treat is an important factor for either design, but I would think 5160 would be more forgiving. Have you considered the sheath system? A big consideration is the sheath (for me). Sure, I can (and do) go through the hassle of sending of a knife to a favored sheath maker, but it's nice when a custom comes with a functional sheath. Best of luck and keep us update...especially if you start up a Kickstarter...

ROCK6

I like the design, and in general, 5160 would likely fits a larger, hard-use knife better than 154; heat treat is an important factor for either design, but I would think 5160 would be more forgiving. Have you considered the sheath system? A big consideration is the sheath (for me). Sure, I can (and do) go through the hassle of sending of a knife to a favored sheath maker, but it's nice when a custom comes with a functional sheath. Best of luck and keep us update...especially if you start up a Kickstarter...

ROCK6

I find dangler style sheaths are best for these larger knives with grommet holes spaced to allow for techlocks and such to be added.

Yeah its totally legal because a knife is not considered a weapon, and yes I’m an active member in mexico armado, thanks a lot for your answer and your concern!

A knife is not considered a weapon? You couldn't even carry a mini swiss army knife without getting crap from the police... I don't know what part of Mexico you're from but all the places I've lived in are NOT knife friendly. The government has killed the knife industry in Mexico. The last few original houses are in Oaxaca and only a couple remain.

Good luck with your project.

ROCK6
Thanks for your comment I guess I will go with 5160 since many of the guys prefer it, and I was thinking kydex for the sheath but it would increase my prices so I dont know, I will definitely keep you posted

A knife is not considered a weapon? You couldn't even carry a mini swiss army knife without getting crap from the police... I don't know what part of Mexico you're from but all the places I've lived in are NOT knife friendly. The government has killed the knife industry in Mexico. The last few original houses are in Oaxaca and only a couple remain.

Good luck with your project.

Yeah you are right you can own the knife but definitely not carry it, actually this knife would be made in Oaxaca with some of the best blacksmiths I’m trying to boost the national market for knives, it is sad that we dont have domestic brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back