Scimitar Brand Cutlery?

First of all I will apologize to one and all because I have no digital support, no pix. The joke in my family is that the grandkids can't use Papa's cell phone 'cause they don't understand the rotary dial.

However, I did pick up a bit of a mystery, to me at least, knife the other day and I can't find any info on it. Holding the knife in your right hand the left or facing side of the blade is marked "Scimitar usa patent 180760" and has a medieval knights helmet as a logo preceding the writing.

This particular knife has a 7" scimitar style blade, with a full tang three rivet handle. The handle material seems to be a laminated material with a very elegant design. The handle itself along the back is one continuous curve from the front to the back to a pointed tail. The bottom of the handle is recurved from the front to the swelling back belly. Up at the front of the handle , just behind the front rivet the handle has been concaved to facilitate the gripping of the knife. There is no guard other than the back of the blade which drops below the level of the grip. The front of the handle is a rounded slope from the bottom to the top. This is a very sinuously designed knife, quite beautiful in it's elegance.

The blade is saber ground from tip to heel with a quarter inch unsharpened heel.

This knife appears to have kicking around for sometime but is in very nice condition. The blade retains an almost mirror polish and the finish on the handle is only slightly dulled. There are no knicks or mars in the blade edge or handle.

The blade is quite dull and shows no signs of being sharpened. I touched it to my India stone and the steel seems quite hard. The blade stock is 1/16th inch and quite stiff.

From just my cursory inspection I'd say that this was a really well designed maybe upper end piece for it's time.

I've tried searching with keywords for two days now and have found no references. Is anybody familiar with this company?

Thanx for helping.

Hi Tonie. We were going through all of our wedding gifts from 40 years ago. We have 2 sets of the Simitar knives with the same pattern markings. One set of 7 knives in a carrier and a boxed 3 piece carving set. These seem to be very popular at the time we got married. Our set has never been used. It still has the original filament tape on it. I can send you a pic with a reply.

Back