1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sebenza 21 2 weeks old I’m sick

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by RutnStrut5832, Sep 15, 2018.

1. RutnStrut5832

RutnStrut5832

Aug 25, 2018
    Well I purchased a knife 2 weeks ago a Chris Reeve sebenza 21 with black micarta inlay I paid $550 for it from new graham knives well long story short stupid me left it on my bench beside my edge proband my 10 year old grandson got ahold of it and thought he was gonna sharpen it and really really messed the blade up to the point I had to send it back for a new blade. It all may fault for leaving it where I did in the first place. But I know this may be a stupid question but do you think they would replace the blade and not charge me, but if not I completely understand. When I filled out the form online I told them what had happened and asked them if there was anyway they could cut me a discount on the blade. It took me quite a while to save up for this knife and to have to spend $150 like 2 weeks later is really hurting right now. But I’m the one at fault and take full responsibility for what happened. Thanks

2. jwh720

jwh720 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 21, 2016
    That stinks but I doubt they are going to comp you a new blade

ETA: Atleast your grandson didnt get hurt

Deinos likes this.
  3. Blues Bender

Blues Bender Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2014
    If CRK had a dollar for every messed up blade they received with a note saying "Plz help, my kinfe waz broked by my dog/kat/wife/toddler/boss/archnemesis" they'd probably be rich.

Just keep your knife in your pants, problem solved.

bolabeenz and Gary W. Graley like this.
  4. Steven65

Steven65 Traditional Hog Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2008
    How fortunate/lucky that the child never hurt himself. It must have frightened you to think what could have happened.

I don't think that you are going to get a free blade out of them. This was a clear case of abuse.

Planterz, BBW and stonproject like this.
  5. shinyedges

shinyedges Every man's intelligence is a god Platinum Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Asking if they'll comp you a knife blade o_O

BBW likes this.
  6. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    Luckily your grandson is OK.

I'm pretty certain this will just have to be an expensive lesson learned.

Jim

stonproject likes this.
  7. stonproject

stonproject Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Id certainly be more concerned about the youngster than the money.

Steven65, Jody744, Boru13 and 2 others like this.
  8. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Be thankful your grandson did not get hurt. Be proud of him for wanting to help out.
    Make a thread in the Want to Buy forum and see if someone has an extra blade they’d sell, if you luck up and find one, you can send it in for fitting. That may save you some money.

9. KooKooforKukripuffs

KooKooforKukripuffs

Jul 25, 2018
    The way I'm reading it is he is asking if they would offer a discount not comp free of charge.

10. cashville

cashville Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 12, 2017
    If you do end up sending it back to CRK, ask them to send you the original blade back and you can use it as a beater. If you end up wanting to sell it for pretty cheap to offset some cost, I may be interested.

On the bright side, atleast the kid didn’t get hurt, and you can be thankful that CRK even offers blade replacements at all.

11. 19-3ben

19-3ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2015
    I love this thread. Unanimous opinions that boil down to "thankfully the kid is ok."

Guys on this forum have their priorities straight, and I'll add to the dogpile of being glad that the kid is ok. The blade... it's replaceable.

12. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    I'm curious to see what the blade looks like. I can't imagine it's not something a decent sharpener can fix for less than those 150$. I mean "tried to sharpen" doesn't sound like he smashed the edge on concrete, and it's more like really scratched up, nothing that needs a blade entirely replaced, hence I am curious.

13. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Please don’t leave knives in the reach of children that young. Its one thing to teach them to use them supervised but even after teaching them you shouldn’t leave them alone with them.

Steven65 likes this.
  14. RutnStrut5832

RutnStrut5832

Aug 25, 2018
    Yes the main thing here is that he didnt get hurt. Period!! I could care less about the knife as a whole loss. Just thankful he didn’t get hurt. No I’m not asking for them to replace the blade free of charge. Just maybe some kind of discount. If not that completely fine with me. Like I said the main thing is the little man didn’t get hurt.

Steven65 and jstn like this.
  15. RutnStrut5832

RutnStrut5832

Aug 25, 2018
    I didn’t get to take a picture before I sent it back yesterday but the tip was ground down pretty bad and ground down on both sides quite a bit.

16. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    I'd just have them sharpen it and maybe correct the tip a little and don't get a new 150 dollar blade for now. You have a fine working knife and you can always go a different route later on, be it a completely new blade from somebody like Josh in a higher end steel, or go the CRK route for a new blade later on. My two cent.

benchwarmer380 and The Zieg like this.
  17. RutnStrut5832

RutnStrut5832

Aug 25, 2018
    I’m new to this forum so this may be a stupid question but who’s Josh and does he make blades for different knives?

18. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    This thread needs pictures:(;)

19. JParanee

JParanee

Dec 23, 2006
    Glad your grandson is okay

Are you sure you didn’t do it :)

20. Twindog

Twindog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2004
    Why is everyone worried about the kid? I had a knife when I was 10. Bought it myself. No one thought that was child abuse. The kid just tried to sharpen it. I've known adults who ruined a blade trying to sharpen it.

Too bad the blade was damaged. That I get.