Sebenza 21 Timascus Clips....GT Knives....I Took a Stab

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by TTTis, Aug 10, 2017.

1. TTTis

TTTis Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2010
    I've been messing with some Timascus lately and had to try some clips. Lacking is a good way to describe my tool setup. At my disposal was (my buddies) angle grinder, belt sander, hand drill, pliers and some very green metalsmithing abilities. It took a while, especially thinning the pieces. Learned a lot and found I really enjoy working with metal. The final torching is so gratifying after taking hours even days to get the piece right. They aren't CRK or Millit perfect, but I'm happy with the result.

[​IMG]

Being a golfer as well, I knew of two other pieces that needed clips. I've had these aluminum automatic ball mark tools since I started golfing, made by GT Knives. They make some automatic knives as well, these golf tools fire like no other tool I've found. However they needed a facelift. In this I took a lot of inspiration from different knifemaker's work I've seen over the years.

Never liked the gold ano, removed that and gave it a brushed finish. I ground off the GT logo on the brass buttons and polished (sorry GT). I made two inlays to replace the ball markers, ground flush with the scales, polished torched and epoxied in. Made two clips and was able to find titanium replacement screws, cut to length and torched. Finally I torched the steel forks, which actually turned the colors I wanted.... I was very surprised.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

miso2, GermanyChris and NJBillK like this.
  2. fastone052

fastone052

Feb 3, 2015
    Those look great. Nice job.

3. Techno

Techno Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Wow these look awesome

4. roadracer46

roadracer46 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Great job!!!

5. Birdhunter1220

Birdhunter1220 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Look very very nice. Great Job!

6. JB in SC

JB in SC Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2001
    Brian Fellhoelter, the custom knife maker, sells a clip brake that would make it a lot easier to get those clean bend angles.

7. craniotes

craniotes Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2013
    This is some amazing work. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Regards,
    Adam

8. TTTis

Mar 8, 2010
    Thank you all very much, I appreciate it.

I strongly considered snagging that. But when I actually had the pieces ready to go, they were unavailable so I ended up just bending them. Pretty sure they are back in stock now. The price was also tough... for only bending four clips. But I thought about attempting some Timascus low riders.

9. JB in SC

JB in SC Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2001
    Works great, I've used one. Makes 90 degree bends with ease. Not for low volume production though. Good luck with your projects, they look really nice.

10. TTTis

Mar 8, 2010
    Thank you for the tip, I'll definitely keep it in mind for possible stuff down the line! Certainly one thing that would've made these so much easier.