1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 38 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Sebenza 21 vs Sebenza 31 ???

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Eric556, Jul 27, 2019.

Sebenza 21 vs Sebenza 31

This poll will close on Oct 25, 2019 at 2:44 PM.
  1. Sebenza 21

31 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. Sebenza 31

33 vote(s)
    51.6%
  1. Eric556

Eric556 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2019
    Is the sebenza 31 worth waiting for? or would you rather just get the 21

2. loon#r

loon#r Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Both :)

Buy the 21 now. There are plenty of good deals on 21s to be had and you have the 31 to look forward to for years to come.

crocogator106 likes this.
  3. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    I don’t have a 31 in hand to directly compare, there are not many out there! This poll might be better in a few months...

4. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Get the 21, you won't regret it. It's going to be a while before the 31 is readily available. Typically, the first couple of batches sell quickly.

crocogator106 likes this.
  5. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Same answer to the same question in your other thread ...

The logical anwer:

The 21 is the iconic CRK ... and if you find you prefer the 31 later you can sell or trade the 21 ... but they are being discontinued so won't be here later if you wish you had gotten one.

My personal thoughts ... I would still buy the 21 over the 31 ... it is just a simple design that it time tested and beautifullysimple and reliable ...

rexromic and Murphjd25 like this.
  6. jumpstat

jumpstat

Mar 9, 2007
    I would get either model if it is available.

7. willard0341

willard0341 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2013
    image.jpg It is subjective but I think they keep getting better

Talus, loon#r and Jazz123 like this.
  8. gunspease

gunspease Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 9, 2002
    I’m going to wait for a 31 it is an improved version. I’ve been cutting back on knife purchases and by waiting I’ll spend less money overall. That’s my plan.

Jazz123 likes this.
  9. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Good point !
    I don't have a 31
    but
    (pause to scream like a little girl and shake my arms above my head)
    I do have a 21 ! Juuuuuust got it today a few hours ago; maccasar.
    The 21 disappearing is what got me to finally get one; I wanted the grove between the strips as an imagined finger grip groove. It's not as pronounced as I imagined but I still think I prefer the two strip to the one slab. That's how I voted.

10. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    I would 100% get a 21 while you still can.

buckeyejake likes this.
  11. bart1

bart1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2009
    Couldn't vote, never held a 31.... Can say Inkosi/Seb 25.... dead even for me.. carried each a while....Hard to imagine being better served by a 31 than a 21....

12. 416isToronto

416isToronto Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2013
    If it was wood inlays, i’d get the 21 now...just a preference thing...will take some time getting used to the new one piece inlay.

13. mongomondo

mongomondo SUPPRESSING FIRE Gold Member

Sep 17, 2006
    I imagine the 31 will feel identical to the Inkosi. Are people expecting it to be much different?

14. @KennyLiu@

@[email protected]

Sep 1, 2016
    From personal experience (very limited with the 31) I prefer the aesthetics of the 21 over the 31. Everything seems more uniform e.g. the distance between pivot-to-stop pin matches the machining hole-to-handle screw, and the clip aligning with the lockbar cutout. Ergonomically, apart from the clip the difference between the two is negligible, with the 21 having slightly better traction on the inlayed models due to the gap between the inlays. I didn't find the clip to be a hot spot on the 21, but apparently some do that's why they changed it.

The 31 feels slightly different when opening...like the detent ball is being sucked out rather than the crisp pop on the 21. Maybe that's due to the larger diameter of the ceramic ball. Disengaging the lock feels much smoother on the 31 though; similar to the Inkosi, it doesn't have to overcome the detent ball and because of that the action is very fluid.

For me, the perfect combination would be a large 21 paired with a small 31. Hopefully someone with more experience carrying the 31 can chime in~

416isToronto likes this.
  15. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    I actually much prefer the 31,visually.

Never been a fan of the 21, but there's something about the 31..might be the inlays

16. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    I like knives that come from specific designers, e.g. one person's vision. As I understand it the Sebenza was a Chris Reeve design, the 31 is a Reeve corporate design, so I'd go 21. One man's vision in your hand.

Edgeoflife and 353 like this.
  17. kidcongo

kidcongo

Jan 12, 2013
    The Inkosi has the finger grooves / choils, more aggressive jimping, a mostly flat-ground blade (“high hollow grind”) and thicker blade stock.

They are similar looking, but have significant differences (at least to knife people)

18. Sciaenops

Sciaenops

Jan 19, 2019
    Handled the 31 at blade show. The one piece inlay just doesn’t feel the same. The small 31 seemed a little smaller than a small 21. I EDC my 21 and for me it is perfect. Be interesting to see how it plays out - but for my collector dollar, the earlier models are for me.

19. mongomondo

mongomondo SUPPRESSING FIRE Gold Member

Sep 17, 2006
    I have the Inkosi, umnum, and 21 large and they cut almost identically despite the slightly different grinds. The main difference for me is how the ceramic ball feels when opening compared to the 21. I guess that's what I meant.

kidcongo likes this.
  20. nyefmaker

nyefmaker Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Buy the 21. It’s the closest you will ever get to the original design. I have had failures with the umnumzaans with the ceramic ball lockup, so not a fan of it.

rexromic and 353 like this.