1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sebenza needs an update

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Valmak, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Valmak

Valmak

Aug 9, 2017
    I'd really like to see an updated Sebenza. It's such a clean looking, simple knife. If they adopted some of the new tech from the Inkosi like the ceramic detent ball, oversized washers and pocket clip position, but kept the bushing pivot and overall design, I think it would be a knockout. Hopefully they will introduce a model like this next year since it is the tenth anniversary of the 21.

2. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    That strikes me as a bit strange anniversary-the 10th anniversary of the 21st anniversary :)

ChazzyP and 353 like this.
  3. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    my large CF sebenza 21 has a ceramic detent. in fact i think they all do now.

you can choose between a 21 or inkosi, why update one to be like the other? doesnt make sense to me. also they have lots of new designs as of recent.

really dont see the point here.

would be great to see some more new models. but i dont think they are hurting for sales, but they would sell some new models most likely.

T. Erdelyi and Lapedog like this.
  4. TTTis

TTTis Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Maybe he likes the design shape of the 21 but the features of the Inkosi? I personally don't like the finger groves so maybe that is what he is getting at.

5. DavidABQ

DavidABQ

Jul 31, 2017
    That is how I read it. I am not fond of the finger grooves either.

6. anttttt

anttttt

Mar 27, 2015
    Hello
    I would like to see a mid-size Sebenza so to fit between the small and large.
    And maybe to see a different blade shape more like a drop point. I think this combination would work very well.
    Soon, hopefully, I will be able to get an Insigno blade to see what all the fuss is about:)

Take care
    Anthony

laizhekezhui likes this.
  7. kilogolf65

kilogolf65 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Both the 21 and Inkosi have a ceramic ball for the detent. However, on the Inkosi the ceramic ball is used as the lock interface against the blade, where as on the 21, the lock bar is actually against the blade. Perhaps that's what the OP meant about new tech. I know there are pics around the forum which show close ups of these two interfaces. You'll see the difference.

BTW the Umnumzaan and the 25 both use the ceramic ball as the lock interface against the blade as well.

ChazzyP and Valmak like this.
  8. Thin-Slice

Thin-Slice Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 4, 2016
    I personally love the 21 the way it is with just a few small adjustments. The extra hole near the lanyard hole would love to see it gone.

Second and this one i cannot stress enough would love to see a different pattern like the Wilson Combat. Maybe something like the LDC sebenza pattern on handles (aka loke TAD edition in a way)

Larger washers for sure.

But MOST OF ALL at least an option to buy as an accessory a 3D pattern clip (similar to Mnandi clip) for Sebenza/Inkosi/Umnumzaan.

The clip idea would be to have same width as current spring clip but top face to have groves possible like Mnandi. Top clip flat with design lines and bottom either exact shape as Mnandi or if you are looking at the clip from the side bottom portion to be milled in shape of speing clip. The double bent is simply best functional clip period just not much eye candy like Mnandi.

Valmak likes this.
  9. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    The only change I'd like to see in the 21 is the pocket clip moved off the lockbar.
    I'm on the fence about a blade steel change. I love 204p, but am also appreciative the popeties held by S35VN--mostly that it's easier for me to sharpen with my relatively limited skills.

10. bvo85

bvo85 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2017
    I'm unclear why the 21 couldn't have a ceramic ball as a lock interface like the inkosi. Is there a technical reason? Is there some people who think there's a benefit to not designing it this way? Same for the pocket clip placement. I think the Inkosi is superior in pocket clip location.

Regarding the handle and blade shape, I think that's personal preference but I do like the looks of the Inkosi. What I don't like about the Inkosi is lack of a pivot bushing. To me, the pivot bushing is what makes the sebenza special relative to most other folding knives.

I'd like to see a pivot bushing offered as an option for every folding knife in the CRK lineup. Bushing-based Umnumzaan. Bushing-based Inkosi. Sign me up!! Still keep the non-bushing versions for people that prefer being able to loc-tite and micromanage their pivot tightness.

LtSauce likes this.
  11. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    I would think a ceramic ball would crack when you whip the blade out and it contacts the blade tang. I've seen ceramic crack before but tbo their are different grades for ceramic and I assume crk uses the highest grade for the application. I'm just puzzled why they would use it for that function tho.

12. awd_xtc

awd_xtc

Jan 25, 2015
    I know everyone loves the s35vn but I'd kill for M390 or similar

Valmak and Mo2 like this.
  13. Low_rez

Low_rez Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 15, 2011
    I'm still waiting for a damascus Insingo blade............

rexromic likes this.
  14. kidcongo

kidcongo Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 12, 2013
    I come across many ceramic bearings at my job. The balls CRK is using are the ceramic balls from inside ceramic ball bearings. I can tell you, a bearing will fail, due to failure of the metal bearing race, and the motor, pump, or generator will chew the bearing race and even the axle to peices, but those little grey balls remain perfect. The inside of the machine will look like a bomb went off, but the ceramic balls will all look brand new, strewn about the inside of the windings etc.

They are incredibly durable.

15. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    Honestly my Inkosi is even way smoother than my 21s. With a knife that smooth a pivot bushing is hardly necessary.

Sounds more that rather than an updated Sebenza you want an Inkosi with a bushing.

16. TYPE-R

TYPE-R Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2017
    The update I'd like to see is a return to the Annual program. Maybe an Inkosi Annual for the chief lovers as well.

cashville, MessOnAMission and bhyde like this.
  17. gull wing

gull wing Gold Member Gold Member

May 4, 2002
    If we are updating, I'd like (like it's really going to happen;))
    another blade steel as mentioned above, M390, CTS-204P, CPM-20CV, CTS-XHP.

Lapedog and Valmak like this.
  18. Valmak

Valmak

Aug 9, 2017
    agreed about the blade steel. i feel like a knife that is around $400 shouldn't be using the same steel as knives that are around $100. step up your game CRK.

thefamcnaj likes this.
  19. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    I think s35vn is a great steel. Its ideal for cutlery and I don't feel lacking at all when I get it. To me it is just as much a high quality steel as m390 or M4 or whatever.

What happened is that s35vn became so desireable that it began appearing on less expensive knives as a marketing technique. Since s35vn became a household name knife for a good steel many steel snobs feel like it is too pedestrian.

Though I am happy with 154cm so what do I know.

ChazzyP, kidcongo and 4mer_FMF like this.
  20. Valmak

Valmak

Aug 9, 2017
    oh ok i didn't know that. makes me feel better about it. thanks.