Sebenza Washers

I just got a new large Sebenza today.
I took it apart to clean it out and saw some discoloration on the washers. Is this normal? There were some black streaks on them.
Another thing I notice was that on the locking bar, right beneath the pocket clip, on the outside, a thin slice of titanium (maybe 1/15th of an inch) has been taken out. Why? I know this is new because i've had Sebenzas before. Has anyone seen this. I think it's pretty cool. Is it for thicker clothes? Well thank you for your time.

[This message has been edited by KAJNIN (edited 15 November 1999).]

[This message has been edited by KAJNIN (edited 15 November 1999).]

The color on the washers is normal, do not be alarmed. The milling that is taken out of the locking bar is the next step in making the Benz just a little bit better. It allows for easier insertion into the pocket and actually makes the locking bar stronger, this is because the existing metal is now centered as opposed to being on one side. The thickness is the same as the previous Benz, because the two inside milling's are not milled as deep.

Thank you savanah. I thought the washers were corroding or something. Thank you for giving me piece of mind.

The lock bar is actually stronger now?? Can someone verify this? I recall Anne saying the lock bar strength was the same.

Kajnin,

My sebenza washers have a lot of black streaks. I guess that's what happens after your sebenza has been through 9000 opening and closing cycles.
smile.gif

The black streaks freaked me out the first time I took my Sebenza apart too, just makes you take it apart more often and ensure its a-o.k.
wink.gif
. Just as long as its not that brownish-red stuff referred to as rust!

Phospher bronze washers will not rust.

------------------
Johnny
<FONT COLOR=#ff0000>[</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>]</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>[</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>]</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>></FONT>

JoHnYKwSt, 9000 opening and closing cycles? You got some sort of little built in counter on your Sebenza?
wink.gif
JK, of course, but, wow, that is alot, looks like I better get busy.

Back to the topic, yep, black streaks on mine, seems normal, no adverse effects, so I never really worried about it much.

------------------
Don LeHue
Royal Oak, Michigan

The pen is mightier than the sword...outside of arm's reach. Modify radius accordingly for rifle.

Hey DonL-LOL
Do you mean yours isn't the latest model with the imbedded chip that counts openings and closings? How are you going to know when to lube it without the info on that little LCD screen in the handle?
It also has a tiny lazer beam in front of the finger gaurd that reads the blade to tell you when to sharpen it.
It also has embedded chips for it's GPS function, making it the ultimate survival knife.
The batteries snap into the "tooling locating" holes in each handle.
The best thing is the decorated version is still just $100 more!

NOT

LOL, you guys are too funny. No I don't have a counter I just estimated 50 times a day, for 6 months = 9000. It's actually been through more than this because I bought it used 6 months ago and it was made in '97. The stop pin sleeve is completely flattened all the way around
smile.gif

------------------
Johnny
<FONT COLOR=#ff0000>[</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>]</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>[</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>]</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>></FONT>

Am I the only one with this newly designed locking bar? Anyone out there have this?
Oh if anyone wants to see what it looks like, I have some pics. Just let me know, I'll send you the pics.

[This message has been edited by KAJNIN (edited 16 November 1999).]

Back