1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

selling knives here vs FB?

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by expidia1, May 11, 2018.

1. expidia1

expidia1 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2018
    So now my last 3 knives Ive sent to BM for service have finally returned (wait time of 7-8 weeks was a total joke) but they did a nice job, no charge and free shipping back to me so no complaints there.

But I had to buy all my knifes just to try them. Then the CRK bug bit me hard and now I’ll only focus on CRK’s.

My collection is numbering around 20 and I looked last night and figured I can around now re-sell around $3000 worth of my $4500 collection (which is my prices, not MSRP).
    Im not looking to make any money just trying to break even.
    My plan is to add on the G&S plus another $10 which will include a sig required delivery.

I belong to the Chris Reeve BST forum on FB (and the fanclub). But Im thinking Id rather up my membership here and start selling here. If i start selling knives on FB id have to join specific forums like spyderco, BM, ZT.
    if they even have them. id prefer not too as I dont care about those other brands now. Ill keep a handful of a few iconic knives but rest are going so I can focus on just CRK.

I have probably 6 CHK’s ill be selling so thats why im posting this question here first (none are fancy or grail just basic models)

Id like some feedback on experience selling on FB before I start listing knives for sale on either site. Do we get better prices selling here or are CRK buyers here more experienced? and again when I start selling Im not looking to profit just cover my expenses.

Is selling on FB risky? At least I can follow their FB history and at least rule out they are not from nigeria . We seem to have a pretty good system here safety wise if using G&S and paying attention to the buyer and sellers FB.

So any other tips you can add is appreciated as Ill be selling on both sites at least on the BST on FB.

Any bad experiences on FB

Due to the higher prices of the my CKR’s thats probably 2/3rds of the money im raising out of the probably 15 knives that I’ll be re-selling.

In the mean time now that all my knives are back, Ill go over to the upp my membership section now.
    Thx

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  2. bvo85

bvo85 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2017
    I'd probably just sell on here. So far everyone seems great, and it also builds up your Bladeforums sales reputation which will last forever. There's some rare CRK knives I've seen for sale where the seller here refuses to sell unless you're an established member with 5+ feedback ratings. There is value in building up your BF reputation of sales. It feels good to hit double digits of transactions with 100% positive scores. There's also probably a lower scam risk on BF than FB.

expidia1 and Lone_Wolfe like this.
  3. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    I got to disagree with you on at least one point here. We're able to screen members more than can be done here, even removing scammers who steal in other groups before they can try anything in the CRK groups. Also, having the group closed so only members can see the posts prevents the scams we've seen here where someone who's not even a member grabs posted contact info and scams the poster. While the feedback staying tied to your account here is great, it's also very possible to check someone out on FB before you make a deal. Now Instagram is another story, Run Forrest Run. I wouldn't deal there.

Heirphoto, Dr-Mabuse and expidia1 like this.
  4. UseitorLoseit

UseitorLoseit Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 3, 2016
    I've had many successful transactions on both platforms. Personally I tend to prefer FB because it's easier to post pictures and communicate. Typically g&s takes care of a sales transaction in either direction. It's trading on FB that may require a little closer attention than here. If you don't plan on trading then I think you'll be fine using either platform.

expidia1 likes this.
  5. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    I've only sold here and on other Knife forums(such as BF) and have never had any major problems, other than international shipping(where I would do as well throwing it in the street and expecting it to get there). However if LW gives her approval to FB that would be good enough for me.
    On pricing-it's good you are using PP G&S, but I would just add the $10 into the price and note how you ship. Keep it simple usually works best.
    If you price things reasonably you should have no problem selling them.

6. Lone_Wolfe

May 3, 2011
    With FB you normally have to join knife sale groups, sometimes even brand-specific groups. Different group's admins have different ways to screen potential members. In the CRK groups the person's name is bounced off bad trader lists in a couple other groups. The smart thing to do is join those groups yourself, so you can do a search for names. EDC Deal or No Deal is one that I use. Also, you can start a thread asking for vouches for yourself or your trading partner. G&S is your friend, so is a required signature on valuable items.

OTOH, a Mammoth Bark that made me swoon is on the way back to the post office because I wasn't home to sign for it. :mad:

expidia1 likes this.
  7. --SG--

--SG-- Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2016
    I find BladeForums easier to use in general than Facebook, but maybe that’s just me. I also like the feedback feature here, but LW is right about some Facebook advantages.

In any event, you’ll often see the same knife posted for sale here, on the two CRK Facebook sales groups, and on Instagram.

expidia1 likes this.
  8. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Mar 19, 2002
    HAHA!

9. Lone_Wolfe

May 3, 2011
    voices.jpg

OLd_gUY, Wilsonhome and bhyde like this.
  10. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Mar 19, 2002
  11. expidia1

Feb 18, 2018
    Thx for all the responses so far. I know B Hyde and LW are on both sites, so thats why I asked this question in the CRK forum. Ya and I was not interested in getting into other clubs on FB.
    I would tend to figure if I was looking to make a profit . . . the FB members might not be as knowledgeable on CRK as to their values and they might tend to pay up a little for a nice CRK. Just my guess.

12. expidia1

Feb 18, 2018
    How does it work when I up my membership here. I joined 2/18/18 only 3 months ago. Do I get any extended time here for my balance when I plop down my $30?

13. Lone_Wolfe

May 3, 2011
    And if I didn't offer to cut you, you'd be disappointed. ;)

bhyde likes this.
  14. Lone_Wolfe

May 3, 2011
    If you're just looking to flip for profit, the folks on FB tend to be knowledgeable and they tend to see through flippers pretty quickly. You'll come to find that contributing to both communities will gain you more.

15. expidia1

Feb 18, 2018
    Im not a flipper. Just someone who is forced to buy and try in this hobby.

16. expidia1

Feb 18, 2018
    Will all members with "Gold" membership please take a step forward? Hey Expidia1, that includes you now . . . so step up :D

17. expidia1

Feb 18, 2018
    I'd be happy to sign for it for you. What is your address and what time should I be out there waiting to sign? And whats the fastest route away from your house :):eek::p

18. Lone_Wolfe

May 3, 2011
    Ban_Hammer-59.jpg

OLd_gUY, bvo85 and Cvrobinson like this.
  19. blanco112

blanco112 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I use both Facebook and BF. For me depends on the situation, whether I'm ISO, selling or trading. Each Facebook group has their own rules (and there are three now just for CRKs) and so does BF and that usually determines where I post. BF's rules fit my style better, I appreciate the feedback system and like PMs here in BF. On the other hand Facebook is much easier to deal with especially around photos, I tend to know more of the people in my Facebook groups and absolutely detest Facebook's PM system (people love to PM on Facebook). Sometimes I just pick one or the other for no particular reason.

expidia1 likes this.
  20. blanco112

blanco112 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Instagram seems to be the new hot place and I can't figure out why. It's very annoying trying to navigate through #knifesales and it's basically just the wild west.

expidia1 likes this.