Seminar Review

As I mentioned in the "Training Knives" topic, our knife fighting seminar was this past weekend. I wanted to give everyone a quick review of the seminar. I might be a little biased (it was my teacher giving the seminar) so, FWIW.

We had a small, but very good group show up which is actually what we like to see because it's possible to give more personalized instruction with a smaller group. There were no egos which allowed everyone to learn and have a good time too.

We started off by teaching everyone some of our basic footwork. Next came the planes (angles) of attack with the three grips, followed by the body mechanics behind them. Then, we taught them how to incorporate the various elements into basic attacks. We moved on to "knife tapping", "passing", "distance sparring" and other drills that are used to develop the necessary skills. Finally, we demonstrated various types of sparring with rubber knives, "hand sparring" and full contact sparring (using rattan sticks to represent knives). As usual, David Wink emphasized principals rather than specific techniques with the expectation that the people would go home and teach the principles to others and incorporate them into their current system.

I tried to talk to everyone as they left, or since then (via email) and everyone said they learned a lot and really enjoyed themselves. What more can you ask for?!

By the way Donna, I did MUCH better in the full contact fighting this time (ie I was on the giving end more often than not)!!
wink.gif
There were a few moments that I was particularly proud of, but am especially happy because I seemed to make a break through that day. I'm still nursing a few wounds myself ... but that's cool because it was a blast!!!!
smile.gif

Respectfully,

Dave Fulton

------------------
Full Contact Martial Arts Association.

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

Back