Sgian Dubh... again. sorry.

A couple of years back I posted asking for information on "real" Sgian Dubhs and wanted to know where I could find one. My question resulted in a recommendation to Koyote Knives, but that has not panned out. Does anyone out there have any idea as to where I could find one? I am willing to spend $250 ish for one. Thanks.

A couple of years back I posted asking for information on "real" Sgian Dubhs and wanted to know where I could find one. My question resulted in a recommendation to Koyote Knives, but that has not panned out. Does anyone out there have any idea as to where I could find one? I am willing to spend $250 ish for one. Thanks.

Draw up what you want and give it to JK knives. The wait isn't terrible and his prices are reasonable.

If you want a real Scottish made piece, of either traditional or contemporary design have a look here http://www.rainnea.com/sgian-dubhs.htm. He isn't quick but he is very, very good and lives right by Loch Ness.
Have a good look around the site, my Sgian Dubh has a Culloden bog oak grip, a hand forged O-1 blade and a single Sterling silver band.
Phil

If it doesn't have to look like a "sgian dubh" you've got a whole world of options. I am quite sure back then, when everyone carried blades all over Scotland, there was a huge variety of sgian dubhs. They didn't all look more or less the same, like they do today.

With that in mind, I decided to shy away from the traditional look a little bit when I'm sporting a kilt. I currently use a Benchmade 180 Outbounder. Sometimes a Kabar ESKABAR, which will soon have some custom wood scales to make it look the part a little better, instead of the black cord wrap. I've also dropped my TOPS Blue Otter into my sock. I've also got a Koyote Sgian Dubh, and I like it, but it ended up a little bigger than I want. I can't complain about Christof, though. His work was fine. My specs were bad for what I actually wanted to use it for. LOL.

I don't really have one right now but my father still has his, he made it himself at a blacksmith course thing about 20 years ago and you could probably do the same where ever you live might cost a bit though.

Back