Sheath Carry for Folders

I feel like I've come to the conclusion that I can't stand having a knife clipped to my pocket. A RAT 2 is about the limit of what feels comfortable to me. But sometimes I feel like I want/need to carry something a little bigger, and was considering getting a belt sheath. I've been looking at something like a Maxpedition or Skinth models. Possibly a leather option? But something with verticle and horizontal options, and a snap closure for sure. Also, fixed blades are not an EDC option for me, this would be folders only, and generally under 3" blades.

Does anyone use a belt sheath regularly? Any pros/cons, or suggestions you'd be willing to share?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have the ruike f118 which comes with an excellent sheath, allowing horizontal, vertical or 45 degree carry - which is excellent

the sheath review starts at 8 minutes - I wish more makers had this kind of excellent option for rotation

Last edited:
ah, then it's a much more simple search, I think... have you looked at buck's leather folder sheaths?

this one is great for larger folders (for a 110) https://www.knifecenter.com/item/BU110SHEATH/buck-110-folding-hunter-black-leather-sheath ... or you can save $1 and get the 112 smaller version - which fits 4.5" handle folders

for a bit higher price - the vic zermatt sheath seems really nice, if you like more patterned leather
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/VN...-Large-Zermatt-Pouch-Brown-Leather-with-Steel

Last edited:
Buck's nylon sheaths for the 110 and 112 are excellent, and more comfortable than the (also excellent) leather ones. You can also carry them, horizontally. There are also lots of custom sheath makers on this forum.

Lots of options:

lvSfgrL.jpg

PuFidyC.jpg

QXjJlSi.jpg

1611pLK.jpg

Horse proof. Snap and flap not needed:

yYGaAtF.jpg

I have 3 versions of these - MAX CAPDEBARTHES Leather Knife Sheaths
Very nicely made leather sheaths with many colors and sizes available. I can't link the seller but you can PM or email me HERE for more info. These are both - vertical/horizontal carry.

Last edited:
IWB at the appendix area allows for a pretty decent sized blade to be carried and with a deep pocket clip, you'll forget you even have it on you.

Does anyone use a belt sheath regularly?
Yes almost every day for one knife or another. Usually for one or another of my Case Trappers and almost as often for one or another of my custom ground Cold Steel Ti Lite IVs.
In addition on my work belt I carry an SAK in a pouch but that is so often it isn't worth talking about. If I'm at work that's what I have at the very least.

Check out some of the SAK pouches both leather and cordura. Good stuff ! ! !
Such as this one I use for Trappers. This is three views of the same pouch; leather with a leather covered metal belt clip.
IMG_3365.jpg
IMG_3282.jpg

Here is a similar trapper pouch from Boker. No top flap and a leather belt loop. It is very nicely made for the price.
IMG_5367.jpg

Surprisingly the pouch that comes with the super inexpensive but brilliant Buck 110 LW is one I have been using and like. What ever knife I put in it it fits close an doesn't flop around. You have a snap flap closure to deal with (as opposed to velcro or no flap). Some times I just leave the flap up. The knife fits snug so it isn't going to jump out.

Another pouch I use a whole lot / very often is just an ammo clip pouch. The ones I like have cordura sleeves sewn on for vertical or horizontal carry and also have an easily removable metal quick clip to fit over pants or what have you with no belt. I can fit two Ti Lites in it side by side. One full flat ground spear point (4") and the other has a shorter full flat wharncliffe blade.

For instance, as I type this, besides the CRK 21 in my pocket I have that pouch on my shorts with the first of the Ti Lites I mentioned. Good for one knife or two in the pouch. Here is it
IMG_4364.jpg

Flap behind pouch just for the photo. Has a velcro closure.
IMG_4368 2.JPG

Here is the back of it with the metal clip removed and the Buck LW pouch is on the right.IMG_4915.jpg

Last edited:
My absolute favorite sheath is the Victorinox Cordura button sheath. My second favorite is the Buck leather sheath (although I can't remember which ones have exposed metal inside). Unfortunately, my favorite inexpensive nylon sheath (velcro) is discontinued ("California" brand which used to be carried by REI and allowed for both vert and hori carry).

Vic Spirit Sheath (usually found for under $10 new):
shopping

I am traveling with a pocket clip EDC so I can't check on which of the button sheaths have exposed metal. Although the button sheaths seem to be favored by many, I personally don't mind a nylon sheath with QUALITY velcro. When I'm rubbing past bushes and vines button snaps can catch and accidentally open, or if I didn't close a button sheath properly, it stays open. The velcro sheaths (depending on the material) often close and hold even if I forget to close it.

Again, quality being important. I've had buttons rip out of a nice sheath within the first week of use, too (not Buck or Vic sheaths).

D4368-ED0-35-BC-40-D6-B14-D-D5-EB62-A84247.jpg

The knife in the sheath is on the right, but I have the same type of sheath for both knives, made by two different makers.

38-EF3342-3-EFD-430-D-A792-EA03-DEF63-D86.jpg

63-FCA22-F-BB71-4-A5-E-A48-C-BF6-DDE492-B57.jpg

Works great for me, worn at about the 5-4 o’clock position. These sheaths are supposed to be for lefties, to be worn on the right front of the belt as a crossdraw sheath.

They work great for carrying behind your back on the right side. Shhhhhh, don’t tell nobody. ;)

Last edited:
Im finding that outside of work, professional landscaping, a folder clipped in my pocket just doesn’t do it for me anymore.
I think horizontal carry in a sheath is a great way to carry a folder. Im amazed how different a knife feels with the pocket clip removed too.
I’ve come across some inexpensive sheath at a few knife dealers online. Leather and nylon. And some great custom leathers as well.

I remove most clips from knives because (to me) they destroy the comfort of my grip. For smaller knives or knives I use in my back woods I put on lanyards. Other knives I just let ride in my pocket. Anyway that’s my penny worth of thought on the topic

I've had a Buck 110 or Old Timer 7OT/6OT or Buck 112 on my belt pretty much every day for nigh on 50 years.
Folders like a Stockman, Moose, Barlow, Canoe, Trapper, etc. I just drop loose in my pocket.

I took the clip off tbe RAT 1 I had, and dropped the knife in my pocket or put it in a belt sheath.
I can't stand pocket clips.

Back