1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shirogorov Neon ultra lite arrived and I'm a little annoyed...

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Jumbi8, Apr 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jumbi8

Jumbi8 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2018
    I'm a bit annoyed that there appear to be no local knife makers who make a smaller flipper (3"ish) this simply well designed, well finished quality available USA made. I see a few that are larger nearer to the 4", but I'm looking specifically for the around 3" mark. Ideally a 2.9" blade so I could legally carry it just about everywhere in my nanny state of California.

Why must I have to pay $$$ and order from another country to get this quality?

ZT are you listening-you have the capability, just do it...

Vent over.

Man this (shirogorov fit and finish) is what I was looking for...

edit- I should add that I am very wet behind the ears in this hobby so clearly I don't know about that many higher end brands yet. Please enlighten me

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    marcus52AR and Mo2 like this.
  2. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    I have seen Grimsmo compared to Shiro's in terms of F&F and while not USA brand they are just north of the USA.

Mr.SATism and Jumbi8 like this.
  3. jceckrosh

jceckrosh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 2, 2016
    I would guess there are knives from US makers where the fit and finish are just as good. But they are gonna be customs, and even more expensive than a Shiro. Which, minus the CD Shiro's, are in fact production knives (someone correct me if I am wrong there). While I was thinking of mentioning Grimsmo, since the table price is similar, Grimsmo's are not (really) production knives.

So, I take it what you are saying is "Why isn't there an American manufacturer who makes production knives of a similar quality to non CD Shiros?" Yes? Or no?

4. Jumbi8

Apr 1, 2018
    Yes, that is it.

5. DrRollinstein

DrRollinstein Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Well the closest American counterparts are hundreds of dollars cheaper. And you dont have to send them to russia for regular warranty work. So I think it's ok.

Mr.SATism, tyyreaun and unwisefool like this.
  6. Jumbi8

Apr 1, 2018
    And they are?

Who makes that quality of small flipper?

7. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Olamic. Small High End Frontflipper.

Mr.SATism likes this.
  8. DrRollinstein

Feb 20, 2018
    I mean, I'm not saying zt is on the same level, but you're foolish if you think their flippers aren't entirely worth the price. I can't imagine the Russian ones being 600 to 800 dollars better than a ZT 0450

BITEME and unwisefool like this.
  9. Jumbi8

Apr 1, 2018
    These are good referrals you are giving me, the quality and price appears to be quite good in the balance, now who makes a barely sub 3" in this quality?
    I tried the sebenza and inkosi but my thumb does not like them.

10. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    And keep in mind 150+ dollar is where the enthusiast market starts. ZT is already on the high end . Kershaw does the volume sales.
    It might simply be a case of not making financial sense to produce marginally better 700+$ knives.

Mr.SATism likes this.
  11. DrRollinstein

Feb 20, 2018
    They have a weird thumbstud that take a a few days to get used to. But those are some of the best production knives out there.

12. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    I was thinking Olamic wasn't USA but on top do they not outsource some of their work overseas?

13. Otto Carpenter

Otto Carpenter Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Yep... Italy.

Mo2 likes this.
  14. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Hinderer makes a 3” flipper

sXePhenomenal likes this.
  15. sXePhenomenal

sXePhenomenal Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2018
    Hinderer is the only brand I shell out the big money for. There's a 3" XM-18 and a model called the Half Track 2.75 blade with a good hand filling handle for the size

16. FullMetalJackass

FullMetalJackass Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 10, 2016
    ZT 0900.

[​IMG]

McFeeli, 4mer_FMF, unwisefool and 2 others like this.
  17. jceckrosh

jceckrosh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 2, 2016
    As you know, worth, value, better etc. are all subjective. It may be hard (or impossible) to prove that a Shiro is $800 better than a ZT, but clearly to a lot of people a Shiro is worth $800 more.

That's a good point.

And like with so many things, some people are willing to pay significantly (exponentially) more for small increases in quality, performance, etc. So the right ZT may be nearly as good as a Shiro, but that just a bit better (or a lot better) can add a lot of value/worth to some people. I certainly have paid too much for many knives that likely barely outperform a cheaper knife (if they outperform it at all) because they met my specifications of value/worth.

I swear every time a Shiro conversation comes up I go eyeball that python micarta F3R...

But I think the OP is saying all things being equal, price included, why can't he get a knife made in the US that he likes and that meets his criteria as well as the Shiro. And is not just a little bit "not as good."

Jumbi8 likes this.
  18. kylemiller

kylemiller

May 18, 2016
    > Olamic
    > Made in USA

Pick one.

19. MSchott

MSchott Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2017
    As you will find, the knife industry is very inernational. Does it bother you that Chris Reeve was born in South Africa? Many American made ZT’s are designed by non-Americans including Russians. Frankly in 2018 who cares where a high end knife is made. I don’t get your rant.

ChazzyP, knoefz and Mo2 like this.
  20. Sergeua

Sergeua

May 1, 2016
    They make some fixed blades in Russia.
    Russian guy started this company btw.