Should I get a Buck 110?

Well I got a gift card for L.L. Bean this Christmas and so I had to go check out the website to see what I could get and of course stumbled into the Knife and Tool section and began to browse. They do not have the best selection, some Gerbers, a few multitools, their house brand Double LL knives (seem like they were probably made in China), and a few Bucks. The only knife on the site that i was even remotely interested in was the Buck 110 but i have seen a few threads where people were talking about Buck's QC being somewhat lacking these days. I dont have a 110 and I think its one of those classic blades that every knife guy should probably have but I wish I could order one from about 20 years ago when it seems like they were putting a little more heart into the product. So I guess my question is: Is the Buck 110 still worth getting? or am I just going to be disappointed with some loose blade or poor f&f?
Well this pot looks good and stirred so I will leave it to you fine folks to see if we can get any kind of consensus.
Thanks
Brian

You don't have one??

Member since 2009.. And no 110..?

That's kinda hard to believe :)

I would get the 112 also.. To me,it's size is better for EDC.

A certain river themed site had them for $29 recently and I finally got one. I don't have an older one to compare it with, but it seems like a mighty fine blade to me. Locks up tight, and has a nice leather sheath.

I think everyone who's into knives needs to own a 110 just because it's such a classic. That being said, I don't carry mine. It's heavy, doesn't have a pocket clip, doesn't hold an edge nearly as well as the knives I do carry and it has some blade play after light use. Time has just passed it by. For the same size and less weight I'll take my 0561 every time. I realize that's not the best comparison, kind of like comparing a '57 Chevy to a new BMW. The BMW is better in every way, but the '57 Chevy still has its appeal. For the $35 they cost every knife collector should have a 110 for the same reason they should own a slipjoint, to understand the progression of knife design through the years.

[video=youtube;BEIkTuNGlVc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEIkTuNGlVc&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

I think they're worth every penny.I bought my first one in 1978,and carried it while serving in the Marines from 80 to 84 as my go to folder.I have several Buck Custom Shop 110s also,their greeeaaaaat!Yeah,I think a 110 is worth owning.:D

Blue Sky

Gold Member
A Buck 110 is a must, probably the one knife I would keep if forced to it. I also wouldn't worry much about their QC, it's as good as anyone else's in their class. And if you do need service, they are top notch in that regard.

Remember though, a small amount of movement is common to anyone's lockbacks and that leads to the majority of the complaints you probably are seeing I'll bet. A small amount is not a functional problem. Most (not all) of my Bucks have some, so do my Spyderco, Queen, GEC, Schrade and Western lb's.

The advent of screwed adjustable pivots and locks that are designed to remain tight by wearing in (and thus wearing out) have spoiled many into accepting absolute zero motion only. Myself included for a time, I admit. If that is your goal, a 110 may disappoint. I am not disappointed.

I hear Buck's F&F is on the up-and-up lately. Their heat treat is really good, and a 110 is built like a tank.

You can't go wrong with a 110,
Connor

The standard 110 is a fine knife, that would make a dependable companion.

I got my 110 as a birthday present in 1985 and would never get rid of it.
I broke the tip off digging a broadhead out of a tree a few years later.
I have lost it twice in moves and have always found it again.
I bought a replacement a few years ago but the old Buck still stays in my truck or pack.
Everybody should have at least 1!!!!!

Depends on whether you just want or need. I have two in sheaths and 4 or 5 in unopened 25th anniversary tins. The brass bolsters tarnish, so I polish them once in a while. I must admit i have never cut anything with either of them. They are too big to carry unless on a belt or in a big pocket. So they just sit in a drawer with most of my GEC's.

That said, it is an American classic.

It's one knife I don't like. I've had a few of them and I never keep them. I don't like the weight, the brass, the grip, the tiny pivot pin, no clip, no thumb stud, or the way they start to have blade play doing things other knives I own do and remain tight.

Well after looking through the L.L. Bean site some more and reading all these comments I think Im just going to pull the trigger and snag me a 110. I have a gift card and its really the only thing I have seen that has peaked my interest. I dont "need" it for anything in particular I have plenty of other knives to cover my knife "needs" but I do tend to agree that they are requisite for any knife collection and as Im sure you all know sometimes you just get a blade because it looks fun to play with and I think it will be fun to break out when im eating an apple or something. Thanks for all the responses! now I just have to find something for about $10 to use the rest of the card up.
Thanks
Brian

I had one back in the late 70's and 80's. Don't care for them anymore, as they're about as heavy as a brick.

I finally got one a few months ago. Better late than never... LOL...

Everyone who likes knives should have one. :thumbup:

I received an old one last Xmas that stank like a weed resin factory. I had to leave the sheath outside and refurbed the knife stem to stern. Knife looks brand new and gorgeous and still stinks!

Ordered! Should be appearing on my doorstep in 2-5 business days! The weight doesnt bother me as im a strapping young lad(plus I probably wont be carrying it all the time). Decided it was too iconic to put off any longer and I figured having the gift card and that being the only thing I saw that I really wanted had to be fate.
Brian