SHTF knife

Alright, so, what's the reccomendation on a good knife for if/when SHTF? Im talking a knife that will only stay in my big out bag, non edc,but if shot happens, I'm fighting through it, my shotgun is out of ammo, and I need something, this is what I've got... This is not a survival knife, I have that. I'm looking for a large fixed blade, ~10"?, that I can rely on. I've been looking at the CRKT Shinbu and FE9... Money isn't a problem as long as the knife is worth it, good steel, good handle design/material, and a good sheath/way to carry it... What say you? I'll save up a lot for a great knife if that's what it takes... Also, I'm 6'3", 230 lbs, so a hefty knife does not bother me as I am not a small guy, thanks in advance for all your help!

Also added through the thread... No leather sheath, for a price range to limit options, $100-200, and also, give me any knowledge you have on the blade steel on the knife you suggest

Last edited:
Maybe a Becker! Not sure which model for the size you want but have heard only great things about them being able to handle everything you can throw at it. BK2? BK10?

I love that people think about this stuff so often (or seemingly so often).

Anyways, Anything Becker or Ontario, Ontario in particular makes a few great larger blades.

Shtf knife??!
I can't think of no better occasion for the use of a ckrt redemption...
Good luck in your search!
CRK100KKPBlog.jpg

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PiK66KB3WA0

Girlymann, I had looked at that, but saw it more as a fancy machete with the width and such, opting for the FE9 over that, but still considering the Shinbu... What makes you say the redemption instead of one of the other two?

BK-9 is a great choice, I have even thought about buying one not too long ago.

or

Free sand
XI6xUxw.gif

Girlymann, I had looked at that, but saw it more as a fancy machete ... What makes you say the redemption instead of one of the other two?
Exactly!
The hacking option must not be underestimated.
Something that can lob of in a single swing.
Having a wide bodied blade results in creating wider openings.
Something that can cause massive flow.
The japanese style blades
Are quick and light.
Requiring more finesse with a well placed strike.
00067.jpg

But more importantly,
I would like to know that every strike will hack off,
severe or excessively puncture an oncoming threat.

The junglas could be a possibility... Anyone have experience with that?

Girlymann, what makes you say redemption over the Hammond FE9? Somewhat similar, though the FE9 is a bit straighter and thinner... I see what you're saying about the Japanese blades though

Bark River Bravo III - CPM 3V. It's guaranteed to dispatch advancing zombies with a single stroke or your money back and a sincere apology to your family from Mike Stewart.
bravo_III_3v_green_canvas_micarta_rampless_409_95-2__13343.1413849293.1280.1280.jpg

Overall Length: 16.9 Inches
Blade Length: 11.6 Inches
Cutting Edge Length: 10.9 Inches
Blade Steel: CPM 3V @ 58-60 rc
Blade Thickness: .275 Inch
Weight: 25 Ounces

One other thing I'd like to add, looking into the Beckers, bravo etc, I'd prefer to not have a leather sheath

How's $100-200? I believe, for the most part, you get what you pay for... I'm sure there are plenty of good knives out there below 100 bucks, but, for now let's say 100-200 dollars... And I do kniw that the few I had said push the top end of that

Bk9, a large infi busse, or that 3v bark river looks bad ass!

My personal SHTF knife is the CS Bowie Machete.....The 12 inch blade does all the talking!
DSCF0142_zpsa82213b7.jpg

Last edited:
Back