Skyline vs. Griptilian

el gigantor

Gold Member
If you were going to select the Kershaw Skyline or the Benchmade Griptilian for EDC, which would you choose?

I'm not asking which one I should get. I'm more interested in the opinions of BF users. Everything is subjective and everyone has their preference. What is yours? If you want to include an explanation for your choice, that's awesome but don't feel like you have to. Also, please don't suggest other knives besides these two..

Delica. Then Mini-Grip, then Skyline. Skyline was my first knife, then Delica, followed by the Grip. I gave the Skyline to my dad - I didn't care for the clip or the flipper. The Grip is great, but the handle could use a little more length, and I don't even have large hands. The Delica is the one to have, IMO. It doesn't look as cool as the others, but if you use all three, it just makes sense. I think they're all great, but that's how my experience has been.

Between those two, I would choose the Mini Grip. I had a Skyline and it was a decent knife, but just not quite right for me, so I gave it to a friend. I have a Mini Grip with the sheepsfoot blade and it's about ideal for my needs.

Last edited:
Between those two, I would choose the Mini Grip. I had a Skyline and it was a decent knife, but just not quite right for me, so I gave it to a friend. I have a Mini Grip with the sheepsfoot blade and it's about ideal my needs.

I agree with this totally, sheepsfoot blade and all.

Mini Grip, I have both, but never really took a liking to the skyline, it was a little thin for me.

That's like asking Camaro or Mustang. Both are excellent, but which one are you more comfortable with. Hold both in your hand and you will pick the right one.

That's like asking Camaro or Mustang. Both are excellent, but which one are you more comfortable with. Hold both in your hand and you will pick the right one.

Like I said, I'm not asking which one I should get. I'm asking which YOU guys would get. Thanks for the input so far. Never even considered the mini version of the Grip. And I've been looking at Spyderco for a while now.

I have had both. I still have the Grip, and I sold the Skyline. And I like Kershaws, I've got a dozen or so. Bear in mind that there is a significant price difference, too. A Grip costs twice as much as a Skyline.

The Skyline was a little too light duty for EDC use, for me. I like something a little bigger and/or beefier for EDC.

Sikhs my skyline, the blade is too light to flip as well as other flippers, and the thin handles weren't as ergonoMic as the mini Griptilian, I also prefer m390 and m4 to any of the skylines steel choices

The Griptilian is a stronger knife and suits my edc needs better. I don t need a flipper at all.

I have both, the Skyline is much thinner and is my Dress up knife. The Grip (full size)is my main edc any other time(which is Most of the time) Overall , The Grip is much stronger with better lockup and IMO better steel (154cm). Get both and switch them out according to your needs.

I have a skyline and I like it. I've tried the griptillian and loved it.

For me I think the carry-ability of the Griptillian is just a tad better than the Skyline. The skyline is a light knife and with an aftermarket clip it rides nicely, but something about Griptilian just sits better in the pocket. Not to mention the lock-up on the Griptillian is simply wonderful! Either would be a good choice, it really just comes down to how much you're able to spend on a knife.

Easy choice for me... Grip! Fully ambidextrous. Skyline is right hand carry only. Being a lefty is both a curse and a blessing. In one situation I can't enjoy all the wonderful knives out there. However, I Save money because I can't buy everything.

I want to say Skyline. But I have had both and have given away both. But they I re-bought a mini Grip 555HG. So in that case I reckon I have to choose the grip. HOWEVER, in the same price range is the Spyderco Native 5 Lightweight. Not only would I choose the N5 over the other two all day every day, but I'm purchasing another one before Spyderco goes to MAP pricing. It is one of the most impressively designed and assembled knives I've owned at any price.

Its an apples to oranges comparison. I like the light thinness of the skyline personally and dislike the Zytel handles on the grip. My personal skyline is carbon fiber and s30v.

They are indeed two totally different knives. Between the 2? Grip every single time. The Skyline felt like it would snap.

I have to go for a full size Griptilian myself. I am on my second one. Not my favorite knife but it does everything very well.

I don't get very excited by the Skyline. Kershaw is not to be left out though. Very fond of the Blur, Echelon, and US made Zing. As a matter of fact, IMHO, Kershaw gives you the best bang for your buck in a budget brand.

Haven't owned a Griptilian but have other BM knives, the 940 and 531. I do have a Skyline I bought when clearance priced at Wally World. It serves well on light knife days, wearing slacks or light shorts.

Back