Small dent on new Sebenza

Is this small dent normal for a natural material?

• Normal for a natural material

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Nope, should be fairly flawless

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters
Hey Guys,

Just wondering what you think about this small dent in my brand new Sebenza’s micarta inlay?

Is this to be expected from a natural material? Similar to wood inlay for example?

Appreciate the feedback! :)

Something about CRK speak’s to me. Two weeks ago I had no Chris Reeve knives. Now I have three. I’m guessing whatever bug bit me has bitten you guys too!

CuttingTom

It is hard to tell from the picture but I'm guessing it was maybe a void or imperfection in the forming of the micarta. I believe Micarta is resin and fiber formed together under pressure. Maybe there was a small void when this process occurred. It could have also happened when the piece in question was being sanded for finish. JMO

Micarta should be perfect. It isn't a natural material. If it is new, I would send 'er back.

As stated, Micarta is a man made material, that doesn't mean it will be perfect, in fact guarantees it won't be. If everything else about the knife seems fine, I'd keep it for sure. One thing this forum has taught me is that everyones tolerance to issues is different, and for the most part respected here.

It is an engineered material. Used for all sorts of things that require it not to have any voids at all. This is CRK are talking about. Is at least call them and see what they say.

Makes yours Unique :). If it bothers you, which I assume it does, send it back. Otherwise use it and enjoy it. It won't have any effect on function or duability. Without seeing it in person(photo is enlarged) I can't say what I would do.

It's not normal from of the Micarta Sebenzas I've owned but if wont affect the use any ... if it is something that bothers you I'm sure you could return it for another ... and I'm sure some people would ... others would just use it ...

Wow thanks for all the replies! Just to confirm, the knife is new from a dealer :)

All that being said, i’m just going to leave it be. I’m sure CRK would honor rectifying the issue later on down the track, I could even show them this post to confirm when I noticed it heh.

I feel it’s a subjective matter. This is a natural material, though that doesn’t mean it cannot be near perfect - especially coming from a manufacture such as CRK. But on the other hand, it’s 0.5-1mm dent. Is it a big deal? Not really.

Our expectations tend to be based from the price paid also. Would you mind if the pocket clip was missing from a $5 knife?

Last edited:
Just call and send it in . Otherwise everytime you look at it will bother you . Did you order it from the factory or a dealer ? It passed several inspections to get as far as you . I had an issue on one and was told , we dont anything with our name on it to be second rate . They are a little slow, but it worth the wait.

Jake

Wow thanks for all the replies! Just to confirm, the knife is new from a deal :)

All that being said, i’m just going to leave it be. I’m sure CRK would honor rectifying the issue later on down the track, I could even show them this post to confirm when I noticed it heh.
I think just using it is not a bad idea, but if you think you are going to want something done about it, now is the best time. You can just return it to the dealer. Not sure CRK is going to want to remedy this down the road after using the knife, but that isn't my call.

so if its not going to be a safe queen piece ... use it and forget about it...

not sure about micarta inlays, are they for looks or for a better grip... the latter I assume

You keep calling it a "natural material" Micarta is factory made, usually phenolic material often used as the base of a printed circuit board. The color can be "natural" as in un-dyed (yours looks black) but it is man made

What I’ve learned is if it bothers you, exchange / return it for one that you like and just make sure to tell the seller first to make sure it’s up to your standards.

A great store that does this is KnivesShipFree, they were even kind enough to send me multiple pictures of a standard CRK so I was happy with the micarta. In my case it was a nyala, but bottom you should be happy with what you buy, if you can live with it and it won’t bother you then it’s good. If it will bother you then that would be your answer.

so if its not going to be a safe queen piece ... use it and forget about it...

not sure about micarta inlays, are they for looks or for a better grip... the latter I assume
decent looks, but very user friendly-both in grip and durability IMO

If it is a variation of the weaving, I would just keep it as it is unique. Even there is a variation in colour too. But, if it is a mark that can be felt by touch, then I would send it in for a replacement.

Some makers (like GEC and Lionsteel) have imperfections in their micarta. CRKs is usually phenomenal and perfect. The micarta on my Inkosi is planed so flat and smooth it's almost a work of art. I would send that one back myself.

It would bug me with that on the inlay even if it was a user. I just wouldn’t want that in my micarta inlay. Doesn’t look nice imo. I’d send it back for replacement.

I’d send it back for a replacement. Every time I used it, I would always notice that spot. A month from now you’ll either be glad you exchanged it or may be wishing you would have.

Some makers (like GEC and Lionsteel) have imperfections in their micarta. CRKs is usually phenomenal and perfect. The micarta on my Inkosi is planed so flat and smooth it's almost a work of art. I would send that one back myself.

Anybody who has imperfections in their micarta should buy it from a better source or better spec it. If any of my micarta handled knives had a void in it I would be very very disappointed. And I doubt the manuf, would let it roll out that way.

Back