Small Inkosi Lockup Adjusted by CRK

Wavicle

Gold Member
I had purchased a small Inkosi with natural micarta back in October and was disappointed with the really late lockup. Even when considering the position of the ceramic ball it was greater than 90% with any pressure on the lock bar. I did not want to bother the retailer (on-line) with an exchange and so I packed it away in the collector box and let it go for a while. However, after looking at it again I decided to send it in to see what CRK could to to improve it.

Got it back today and it was worth the trip back to the Boise factory. See for yourself--

BEFORE :grumpy:
30311680526_2ce0f00ba7_b.jpg

AFTER :D
31862076410_07e728e450_b.jpg

Did you specifically ask for them to adjust the lockup? My small carbon fiber Inkosi's lockup looks just like your before photo.

Did you specifically ask for them to adjust the lockup? My small carbon fiber Inkosi's lockup looks just like your before photo.

Yes- I downloaded the Service Form and checked the "Other / Comments, Questions, Concerns" box and entered my request to have them adjust it, if possible. They called and explained they could fix it and it was considered warranty work at no cost.

If it bothers you, and it sounds like it does, it's worth the insured shipping back to them to see what they can do. It may take a while, but I think it's worth the wait.

I would have preferred the lock up in the first photo especially with the ceramic ball interface. That's just me though

That's fantastic that they were able to fix it. If you don't mind me asking what was the repair time? Just wondering because I sent in a small 21 Insingo towards the end of December and figured it would be out 8-10 weeks or so. Congrats on getting it back the way you wanted it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder how they did that- did they tune it somehow or replace something??

I wonder how they did that- did they tune it somehow or replace something??

On the Sebenzas, they could install a stop pin sleeve that is slightly larger in diameter. Not sure if they can do likewise on the Inkosi with the floating stop pin.

The stop pin solution (larger sleeve or pin) was my understanding of how this issue is dealt with in general, not CRK specifically. Why would a larger ceramic ball help?

I have no idea how they fixed it and there are no clues after careful examination of the knife. Like others, I suspect a larger stop pin, but that means it would be special so as to fit into the capture hole on the presentation slab. The witness mark for the ball on the tang is exactly as it was when I sent it in, so there was nothing done to the blade itself.

To answer some more questions:

Timing was about 6 weeks- smack in the middle of their estimated work flow.

I doubt the ceramic ball can be replaced based on how it's peen'd into the Ti

They did adjust the pivot- it's now smoother than before (if that's even possible)

And it came back smelling of WD-40 with the micarta having more translucence to it

It came back in a new smaller CRK white box with the sticker on the bottom stating it's a replacement box, not the original

Not trying to start a flame here, just asking the question.

I can understand late lock may be a problem on a liner lock knife, but on CRK frame lock knives it never seemed to me to be a bad thing since I viewed it as more metal is now in place to help strength/keep the blade locked.

Just asking why did that bother you, was there lock stick in play?

Not trying to start a flame here, just asking the question.

I can understand late lock may be a problem on a liner lock knife, but on CRK frame lock knives it never seemed to me to be a bad thing since I viewed it as more metal is now in place to help strength/keep the blade locked.

Just asking why did that bother you, was there lock stick in play?

Good question. It bothered me because with only slight to moderate pressure on the lock bar, such as when holding the knife in normal use, the lock bar would move to making solid contact with the opposite scale. It did have some lock-stick, but my assessment of that was lock bar flex: i.e it was wedged into place.

And therefore, for a Chris Reeve knife, it was not normal. I have 34 other CRK folders, including 3 more Inkosi, 12 Sebenza 25's, and 3 Umnumzaans (the rest are 21's and Mnandi), all which all have the silicon nitride lock ball interface, and none of them lock up like this one. CRK Service agreed it was "not within spec" and proceeded to correct it to be within spec.

My guess is a new blade, as that is pretty much the only wear and tear part on the knife (well ok, washers too) that has a ceramic ball lockup.

My guess is a new blade, as that is pretty much the only wear and tear part on the knife (well ok, washers too) that has a ceramic ball lockup.

But the blade tang bears the exact same witness mark I observed from when the ball traveled all the way across it. That tells me it's the same blade.

But the blade tang bears the exact same witness mark I observed from when the ball traveled all the way across it. That tells me it's the same blade.

Hmm, I was wrong on that one. Now I am curious as to what was changed.

I'm not a stickler about lockup but that one would've bothered me also!

Last edited:
Hmm, I was wrong on that one. Now I am curious as to what was changed.

I spent a little more time looking at it and comparing it to another small Inkosi I have and have an idea.

It appears the spring tension on the repaired Inkosi lock bar is significantly less than the other. I can't recall exactly how it felt before being repaired, but it made me think of how light it felt the first time I disengaged it after getting it back from the factory. That and the fact some moderate pressure on the lock bar still moves it all the way across the blade combined with no other physical changes adds up.

In other words, the lock bar was "adjusted" so it doesn't settle in a late lockup position. Hmm, not what I expected.

Last edited:
Back