1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Small Lightweight Stainless Fixed Blade for Fishing, Hunting, Backpacking

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by billygoat162, Aug 10, 2018.

1. billygoat162

billygoat162

Nov 2, 2012
    I'm in the market for a good small stainless fixed blade for fishing, hunting, and fast long-distance backpacking. A lightweight blade in the 3" range would be perfect. Right now I'm looking at the Benchmade Steep Country, but I don't really know what other options are out there. Something similar in size and price would be perfect (~$100).

I need something low maintenance, preferably that won't need much sharpening but can be touched up quickly when necessary. Minimizing pack weight and how much stuff I have to carry is priority #1 (pounds=pain is my philosophy, no saw, no hatchet, and my TOPS BOB is staying home for these trips). I probably won't wear it around my neck, but I don't want it visible for anti-knife hippie reasons so it needs to fit in an easily accessible pants, jacket, or backpack pocket depending on the situation. I currently have a stainless Izula but found it getting dull too quickly with all the sand/grit that got stuck in the sheath the last time I was out. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

2. Dragonflybladewrks

Dragonflybladewrks

Apr 12, 2018
    Check out the Cumming Blade Works dress necker. Right not they're hand made and about the perfect size for what you're wanting.

B Griffin and LG&M like this.
  3. Spikediesel

Spikediesel Spare time SAK builder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 14, 2018
    The White river backpacker or backpacker pro should fit the requirements, it's light, made of s35vn and has a kydex sheath. They are right around $100 too.

4. Revolverrodger

Revolverrodger

Jul 23, 2007
    Enzo neck knife is super compact and excellent

buckfynn and Pr3inar like this.
  5. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 27, 2005
    The White River Knife and Tool M1 Backpacker is your knife. This is hands-down the best small fixed blade I've ever seen. The sheath and clip are entirely usable, the fit and finish is incredible (polished and radiused finger choil!?!?), and the newest ones are in S35VN.

You can get one with a Paracord handle for $90, with somewhat blocky G10 scales for $115, and with contoured micarta scales for $150.

These knives are almost criminally undervalued.

6. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Wasn't familiar with that knife. Looked it up. The G-10 version (Pro) looks very appealing to me.

B Griffin likes this.
  7. ATJ999

ATJ999 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2013
    One that I love is my Real Steel Pointman. It is 3.5 inch blade, but carries well and feels great in my hand. Worth looking at. 14C28N is a great steel as well, holds a good edge and very easy to sharpen. I liked this blades so much I got a backup. Good price too.

Chronovore likes this.
  8. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    ok, I know this is a bit bigger than requested, but it's so good that it deserves a look, and it's just under 6oz - Mora Garberg - great sandvik 14c28n and it's only $80, 9" overall 4.25" blade, and the sheath is very tiny compared to others, can be pocketed. The size is so much nicer in many hiking/fishing situations imho.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    CPM3V and Bugdoc like this.
  9. billygoat162

billygoat162

Nov 2, 2012
    Thanks! I might snag the pro version when they are back in stock. The FireCraft 3.5 looks pretty nice too, although a bit a obtuse.

Spikediesel likes this.
  10. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I have the Becker BK-14 and BK-24 (not stainless). I like the 14 but I never could get the D2 version as sharp as I would like it. I also use a little Blackjack 155 (Neck knife) (with handles) which is sized about the same in 154CM. I like it, but you need to be careful how you hold the knife as the edge is very close to the handle. The other ones that I like are a couple Doziers that have about a 3" blade, but they generally are in D2 not a stainless (and above your budget). I have a Dozier Personal with a sheepsfoot blade made in CPM 154. I like it a lot. So, yeah, these little fixed blades appeal to me as long as the handle is long enough.

LG&M likes this.
  11. dirtyphil

dirtyphil Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 19, 2014
    X2!

buckfynn likes this.
  12. Mecha

Mecha Madscienceforge.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    Daniel Fairly ti backpacker. /thread

13. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    Buck 877 Maverick
    3 5/8" stone washed 420HC blade.
    Buck uses the BOS Heat Treat on all their blades, so it is done right.
    Sheath can be worn on the belt, or you can take the belt loop off and use it as a neck knife.

14. omaha-beenglockin

omaha-beenglockin

Oct 22, 2005
    How about something like a Buck Paklite-------very lightweight and reasonably priced

LG&M likes this.
  15. seabil

seabil

Apr 8, 2015
    Light and low cost - mora. Get one in non tactical color, very low fear factor.

I have thought of replacements for my Izulu 2, one that caught my eye is the Bradford guardian 3.5. I love the Izulu handle. One problem with small fixed blade knives is the handle most are too small or awkward to me. The 3.5 handle looks really similar to the Izulu 2, has great m390 steel, 4 ounces, low “Visual impact” horizontal sheath, just one problem - price. I have seen it below list but over your number. Do not have one yet, but can see picking one up.

A different take, that i do have, is the lionsteel m4, very nice small knife, m390, super sharp, light weight, but about 150.

HKGuns and billygoat162 like this.
  16. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Spyderco Mule: CPM 20CV or several other steels available.

17. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
    You, sir are looking for a Bradford Guardian 3.

18. olywa

olywa Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 4, 2007
    White River Backpacker Pro or Bradford Guardian 3 Sheepsfoot in N690 (or M390 if you can stretch your budget).

19. Scott321

Scott321

Jul 20, 2016
    Sounds like your issue is with the sheath. Do you think sand and grit won't have an effect on another knife?

20. JamesofArc

JamesofArc

Apr 19, 2016
    AG Russell Hunter Scalpel.