1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Small Sebenza, Q’s on action & liner lock.

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by IDKsteel, Jul 31, 2019.

1. IDKsteel

IDKsteel

May 26, 2019
    My friend stops by and she has a pocket knife...I immediately take it from her for sharpening. What she thinks is a $20 folder is a small Sebenza.

It’s a mess so, I refurbish...clean, sharpen, oil and assemble.

Two questions:
    1: The action is poor. The two screw near the pivot cannot even be snug for it to operate. I’ve had a few knives like this and some locktite usually holds a loose screw.
    Question is I don’t have any experience with CRK. My PM2 flicks open quicker than 1/2 a heartbeat and my Benchmade 940 has NO resistance...none. Hold axis lock and gravity will open or close...no resistance. What is the Sebenza like?

2nd Q: the frame lock or liner lock or w/e you call the release; sticks hard.
    It needs a light filing to not stick. This lock release takes a strong thumb to break it loose from its position in order to close the blade.

It is now assembled and honed but I don’t want to return it to a lady in this state.

Also, I didn’t add locktite yet or file the frame-to-blade impingement.

Does CRK offer restoration (of a perfectly clean and wickedly sharp but poorly functioning knife)?

https://imgur.com/a/4vGKFpp

Any comments are appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  2. IDKsteel

IDKsteel

May 26, 2019
    Also help uploading a photo from an iPad would help, I clicked advanced in a diff thread and added media before but it seems missing in this one?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    JJ_Colt45 likes this.
  3. loon#r

loon#r Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2008
    What?

4. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    Use a 3rd party site like Imgur, then post the pics from there.

IDKsteel likes this.
  5. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    1st post a photo so we can confirm it is a true Sebenza and not a fake
    2nd CRK will tune, re-blast and sharpen the knife and do any warranty work for free-just shipping to and from

Edgeoflife, Lone_Wolfe and IDKsteel like this.
  6. bart1

bart1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2009
    Neat old abused Reg.... less is more beyond cleaning.... send it back to CRK if functioning issues!Don't mess with the "action"!!!

buckeyejake and IDKsteel like this.
  7. u2u

u2u

Nov 30, 2005
    I am with bart1 on this. Looks like 1998 vintage with BG42 blade... Note the stamped B98, old style pocket clip etc. I wouldn't be taking a file to that. Send it in for a factory refresh. Well worth the time and cost.

Edgeoflife, rexromic and IDKsteel like this.
  8. UseitorLoseit

UseitorLoseit Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Send it in to CRK and let them work their magic. You'll get it back in a couple months looking and feeling much better.

rexromic and IDKsteel like this.
  9. aVyD

aVyD Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Holy what in the dirt-stained grease-soaked rotting-washer stripped-screws ruined-pivot sticky-lockbar left-in-the-tool-drawer-in-the-garage-by-my-great-uncle-billy-the-kid-for-10-years-in-the-pouring-rain tried-to-put-a-reverse-tanto-on-the-blade-and-broke-all-the-sharpmaker-stones bullshit is THAT? Behold ladies and gentlemen the personal pocket knife of fuckin Frankenstein himself! Holy sweet Jesus looks like something I'd find described as "like-new" on Ebay. Send that thing to CRK ASAP I beg you.

IDKsteel likes this.
  10. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I would echo what others have said already ... send it to CRK for a spa treatment and any repairs needed ...

If it is a legitimate Sebenza they will probably fix you up ... but I'm not seeing any pictures so I can't say.

11. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    Send it to CRK and they will make it good as new.

DO NOT file or mess with the lockup. CRK carburizes their lockbar lockfaces so you will literally destroy the knife if you do so.

Edgeoflife and IDKsteel like this.
  12. IDKsteel

IDKsteel

May 26, 2019
    Thanks for all the answers today. I’ll visit CRK website and send it.

..and @aVyD lol, yep. belonged to a real dirtbag rancher, used for things like cutting calves and bailing...and who knows what else but ...he will never see it again.

13. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Lol, how did she come to posses that $20 knife ?

14. aleforme

aleforme

Feb 21, 2013
    Coming from a former cattle rancher, sounds like that knife lived a great "first" life and was used for it's intended purpose. Definitely send it in to CRK and let them do their magic so it can enjoy it's second life.

15. buckeyejake

buckeyejake

Dec 28, 2013
    It needs a trip home . They actually like to see them come in that have been used .
    Take and buy her a delica during the vacation.

Jake

Edgeoflife, IDKsteel and Lone_Wolfe like this.
  16. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    Wondering that myself.

17. Lady1911

Lady1911 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2018
    This knife will make fantastic before and after pics!!

....and how come I never seem to land any of these $20 specials? :D

18. IDKsteel

IDKsteel

May 26, 2019
    Funny thing is... no one in the loop of owners seemed to know that this knife was anything more than a $20 folder. I saw the logo straight away and was in a sort of disbelief...we live in the middle of nowhere and there def. isn’t a place to purchase something like this within a day’s drive. Guns, yes.

Someone in her fam tossed it on the counter and says...as long as your bailing you should have a knife on you.
    There aren’t $300 knife ppl in this county so I can’t figure this one out either...and since she’s been harping on me for buying more (Arno Bernard, Bark River, Will Dutton, LT Wright, Bradford) in June/July trying to replace my Spyderco PM2 with a fixed blade after hurting my hand.. plus making each one a nice horizontal carry sheath then she walks in with this CRK worth more than each without any idea what it is....???? Go figure.

The guy who gave it to her carries a crkt free marketing swag folder that he wrote his ranch’s brand on with a gel pen. lol.

@buckeyejake I like the suggestion of a new delica in the mean time.

I’ll try and get my act together to be able to post photos and participate better in your forum. I’m a woodworker who occasionally sells stabilized burl blanks, which I have have a literal ton of.

skyhorse likes this.
  19. buckeyejake

buckeyejake

Dec 28, 2013
    This brings back memories . Cutting hogs with several neighbors. No razor knives.
    Pocket knives were the rule .As a boy , these men found out i could put a shaving edge on a blade.
    Please take pictures and more pictures. I believe i would try to buy it . Like i said a delica in her
    favorite color and a little cash . Please keep us informed.

Jake